Union Militaria - Question

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
gjjw

Union Militaria - Question

Post by gjjw » 27 Feb 2020, 13:16

Hi all, has anyone had any dealing with this outfit? I'm looking for a couple of fillers for my EK collection (Star to the GC). They look to be of good quality, but pics can always be deceiving.

So, are their medals of good quality or pot metal wonders?

Thanks so much!

Greg

WAR LORD

Re: Union Militaria - Question

Post by WAR LORD » 27 Feb 2020, 14:16

I do not know this Firm, so can not give an impression. These Stars are available, and depending on quality price is determined. There is one on WAF currently, it would seem a nice quality Reproduction.

However Museum quality pieces will be extreemly expensive. This example has been used in a number of reference books.
Attachments
Breast Star of the Iron cross KT - 016.jpg
Breast Star of the Iron cross KT - 014.jpg

rlimike

Post by rlimike » 06 Mar 2020, 18:45

I looked at their website & the reproduction awards are on the better end of the scale but they are reproductions and would not fool anyone who collects. I did see a DKIG (which looked like it may have come from that website) recently at an on-line auction & it did go for more than $69.95. Also as mentioned by another member... actual museum quality pieces go for much, much more & Germania Int. use to have a few very high end repros for sale, but at the end of the day the repros are just repros no matter the quality.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 06 Mar 2020, 22:16

rlimike wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 18:45
I looked at their website & the reproduction awards are on the better end of the scale but they are reproductions and would not fool anyone who collects. I did see a DKIG (which looked like it may have come from that website) recently at an on-line auction & it did go for more than $69.95. Also as mentioned by another member... actual museum quality pieces go for much, much more & Germania Int. use to have a few very high end repros for sale, but at the end of the day the repros are just repros no matter the quality.
Agreed, a repro is still a fake, no matter the quality. I do not get it when these collectors want to add to their collection a POS fake,repro *to fill in the gap or space where thereal relic would be, its still a scam kind of, they scamming themselves with doing that

Unless thre twat collects repros and fakes, they do not belong in any collection if you are a legot dealer or collector of any thing

WAR LORD

Post by WAR LORD » 10 Mar 2020, 21:49

Well I read your response with interest. I understand your position, but I would temper this with the fact of that which happens in the "Old World" and that in the "New World". There are "Museum Copys" and I use this wording with causion. Some of our most presdiduous muesems show "facsimilys" of there collection, the British Museum has done this for the last 2 hundred years. The Victorians were prolific makers of reproductions. These today are highly sort after. To medals : - currently Hancocks the manufacturer of the British Victoria Cross, are making copys as made by them, cast in the same way from the same material for the collecting market. these are costing £450.00 per piece. However the production has been over subscribed. They are now making a premium on the open market. A collectable in their own right. The Royal Mint has produced :- restricks of British Campaigne Medals. Again perfect facsimilys of the original. one stage further they have produced restrikes of coins, some that were never in circulation. I could go on to the world of silver, here for a couple of examples are a James the 1st 6th of Scotland silver tankard 1610. sold at Christies for £110,000.00 plus hammer price. This need to be DE Wopped as they say in the trade. The restorer, did the job and produced two replicas. These replicas cost £3000.00, but now are valued at £10000.00. I have more examples , but your time would be more valuble than reading these pieces. The last quote is the fake of an extremely rare 600 AD coin of an unknown English King sold for a record price and was totally in excess of the value of the original. Well well well what has happened to the world? the fake was made in 600 Ad.
Attachments
IMG_1596.JPG
IMG_1595.JPG
GROUP 4 INDIA MEDAL.jpg
GROUP 3 HYDERABAD.jpg
GROUP 2 BALTIC MEDAL.jpg

WAR LORD

Post by WAR LORD » 10 Mar 2020, 21:53

FURTHER BITS HOPEFULLY OF INTEREST. naming OF THE WARTERLOO MEDAL. A restrike, with naming by the great great grandson.Waterloo Medal - John Ailsby - Rim Naming. Not a fake, a replacement.Beer Mug - Jamesr 1st - Copy
Attachments
Waterloo Medal - John Ailsby - Rim Naming.jpg
Beer Mug - Jamesr 1st - Copy.jpg

Return to “Axis Awards”