My friends grandfather was in the Panzer division of the SS during WW2 and had a camera. Here are the pics

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
oconarms

My friends grandfather was in the Panzer division of the SS during WW2 and had a camera. Here are the pics

Post by oconarms » 20 Mar 2020, 22:23

I originally posted this on reddit yesterday. Thought it might be of some interest here.

I asked some of my Austrian friends about their grandparents involvement in WW2. While many have fascinating stories, and some have photos, only one of our friends gave me her grandfather's old photos. There are 500 pics in total but i've only scanned these few so far.

https://imgur.com/a/ztycPLZ#op7JQcG

eindhoven

Re: My friends grandfather was in the Panzer division of the SS during WW2 and had a camera. Here are the pics

Post by eindhoven » 20 Mar 2020, 22:47

oconarms wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 22:23
I originally posted this on reddit yesterday. Thought it might be of some interest here.

I asked some of my Austrian friends about their grandparents involvement in WW2. While many have fascinating stories, and some have photos, only one of our friends gave me her grandfather's old photos. There are 500 pics in total but i've only scanned these few so far.

https://imgur.com/a/ztycPLZ#op7JQcG
Yes, they are superb images so far especially those of Schönberger. This one of Sepp Dietrich, with map board, and Schönberger exiting what was likely a tactical anlage is a very nice image.

Your friend does not understand that early Panzer-Regiment 1 images from LAH are not too common and at 500 you have quite the horde. Congratulations. I am sure your PM inbox will be full. If you are made an offer don't be a fool and let them go cheap as most will try to take advantage of someone who knows little about them. Dealers especially.

Schönberger was a very capable, well thought of leader of Panzer-Regiment 1. His death left a gap filled by some who were not so capable.
Georg Schönberger.jpg

eindhoven

Re: My friends grandfather was in the Panzer division of the SS during WW2 and had a camera. Here are the pics

Post by eindhoven » 20 Mar 2020, 23:11

This image is a reprint as it's already published since the 90s. It shows the leader of the Aufkl.Zug. of Panzer-Regiment 1 SS-Oscha. Karl Köhnen on the right as viewed and the Spieß of Stab (HQ) Kompanie SS-Hscha. Karl Gallinat. It is a red flag to see published images among unpublished ones but might be your veteran acquired images at some HIAG treffen.

Here is the full image whereas your's is cropped from the negative.
SS-Oscha. Karl Köhnen rechts mit SS-Hscha. Karl Gallinat.jpg

oconarms

Post by oconarms » 20 Mar 2020, 23:18

eindhoven wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 23:11
This image is a reprint as it's already published since the 90s. It shows the leader of the Aufkl.Zug. of Panzer-Regiment 1 SS-Oscha. Karl Köhnen on the right as viewed and the Spieß of Stab (HQ) Kompanie SS-Hscha. Karl Gallinat. It is a red flag to see published images among unpublished ones but might be your veteran acquired images at some HIAG treffen.

Here is the full image whereas your's is cropped from the negative.

SS-Oscha. Karl Köhnen rechts mit SS-Hscha. Karl Gallinat.jpg
Thank you for that. Would you mind telling me where the original of this was published?

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 20 Mar 2020, 23:20

I am not a collector so cannot comment further but this site is filled with collectors:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/index.php

These photos should be very valuable to them and they should pay a high price if you want to sell them.

oconarms

Post by oconarms » 20 Mar 2020, 23:23

Cult Icon wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 23:20
I am not a collector so cannot comment further but this site is filled with collectors:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/index.php

These photos should be very valuable to them and they should pay a high price if you want to sell them.
Thanks. We aren't interested in selling. Just getting more information and perhaps learning a bit.

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 20 Mar 2020, 23:47

Very interesting photos so far, thanks for sharing. I look forward to see more, a relative of mine was also in the Leibstandarte.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”