Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Geoff Walden

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Geoff Walden » 01 Apr 2020, 03:48

Great new video! I have always enjoyed listening to der Herbert speak in this interview, and the wonderful little tidbits he told here and other interviews, about life at the Berghof. Such as, his explanation of the origin of the Kehlsteinhaus (Hitler just mentioned one time that it would be nice to have a bench up there for hikers, and Bormann took this and ran with it all the way to the finished Haus).

Do you have any other interviews with Berghof staff or regulars? Such as, interviews with the Mittlstrassers (which I have seen, I think, in the Dokumentation)?
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

BEGAFILM

Post by BEGAFILM » 01 Apr 2020, 10:45

Hi Geoff,
Thank you!
Yeah lots of more to come :) Mittelstrassers, other ones of Doehring, Misch, Pretzl, Zischky etc.
It will take a while to digitize and upload everything but it will come! Stay tuned.
BEGAFILM - History in Motion
Always on the hunt for new Material - If you have films on old formats/film rolls that you cant play - send them over. We will be happy to make the world see it once again.

Project X

Post by Project X » 04 Apr 2020, 15:12

BEGAFILM wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 17:52
Here you go: https://youtu.be/EIp2qo1hDDo

Have fun and stay at home!

BEGAFILM
Magda Schneider at 4:15

BEGAFILM

Post by BEGAFILM » 04 Apr 2020, 22:00

Hey guys,

I have a new video regarding BERGHOF for you today.

You will find footage of the inside of Berghof back in 1933-38. It is again at the moment only available in german language. But the pictures speak for themselves.

Here you go:
"ADOLF HITLER UND DER OBERSALZBERG - DER BERGHOF UND DAS FÜHRERSPERRGEBIET"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PONRTrCrWI&t=2s

Have fun watching.
BEGAFILM - History in Motion
Always on the hunt for new Material - If you have films on old formats/film rolls that you cant play - send them over. We will be happy to make the world see it once again.

Reman

Post by Reman » 05 Apr 2020, 13:15

I have had an interest in the 3rd Reich and its architecture ever since reading Albert Speer's book when at school. Back in February 1988 I suggested to my future wife that we tour Germany and Austria in her 2CV. We ended up at the Obersalzberg, more by chance than intention, and drove up past the site of the Berghof to the car park just beyond the Hotel zum Turken. The gift shop was open, and we found ourselves being shown "the best books of the leader" by the lady running the shop, a surreal and slightly spooky experience. I subsequently walked down and took a photo of what remained of the Berghof - the garage - from below. Having been stuck indoors for the last few days I've spent my time digitizing my old negatives, and have chanced upon the photo - a poor shot but it gives an idea of what still remained at that time. Unfortunately I did not take any other photos of the ruins, and having returned there a few years back found it completely changed.

I've subsequently managed to get to many of the other sites in Berlin, Munich and Nuremberg, inspired by this website and that run by Geoff Walden. A big thank you to Geoff and all the contributors here.

img025.jpg
img025.jpg (95.13 KiB) Viewed 1276 times

avid21

Post by avid21 » 06 Apr 2020, 07:59

BEGAFILM wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 22:00
Hey guys,

You will find footage of the inside of Berghof back in 1933-38. It is again at the moment only available in german language. But the pictures speak for themselves.

Here you go:

Have fun watching.
A Big thank you to BEGAFILM, for sharing their collection. I know it would be too much to ask, but adding english subtitles will vastly increase the utility of these shared information.
i would like to know the location of the room shown in the film (timestamp 4:15). though the room looks spartan, the wallpaper type doesnt lend itself to AH's room). any thoughts?
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (59.36 KiB) Viewed 1233 times

Biber

Post by Biber » 06 Apr 2020, 14:14

Great video!

3:04 - So the windows in the Haus Wachenfeld Wintergarten lowered into the basement just as the picture window in the great room?

8:24 - perhaps a bit of fodder for the question regarding turning cars around in the driveway.

CPB

Post by CPB » 06 Apr 2020, 14:23

BEGAFILM wrote:
04 Apr 2020, 22:00
Hey guys,

Here you go:

Have fun watching.
Fantastic, thank you. Lots of new angles and things I've never seen before. This one is new to me...
Attachments
2.jpg

Max

Post by Max » 06 Apr 2020, 14:51

Biber wrote:
06 Apr 2020, 14:14

8:24 - perhaps a bit of fodder for the question regarding turning cars around in the driveway.
Check this - 00.23
https://www.britishpathe.com/video/ital ... chtesgaden
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Untersberg

Post by Untersberg » 14 Apr 2020, 14:42

I vividly recall one evening when beloved Ingrid and her late husband enjoyed an informal party at the Türken on the occasion of Otto' s Birthday if I recall.
Herbert turned up and had a jolly time he was so animated and an excellent story teller as you can all see.
Well...the following morning Herbert was awakened by Ingrid....he had not gone home or even asked for a room but had gone to sleep in the little Stube sprawled out!
A wonderfully entertaining man indeed.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 14 Apr 2020, 18:49

What a wonderful reminiscence! Thanks very much for posting!
Geoff

Untersberg

Post by Untersberg » 15 Apr 2020, 18:32

You are welcome Geoff....I recall on hearing the news of Ingrids passing speaking with you to see if you knew about it.
I will never forget my sad phone call to dearest Ingrid shortly before she died. She had to hang up because she was upset. I recall her saying it's all over.

Untersberg

Post by Untersberg » 15 Apr 2020, 18:41

On the lighter note I recall one summer bringing her back some strawberries from the town and walking in on the left seeing her napping in one of the chairs in the tv room with her legs over the arms as soon as she saw me of course she jumped up! A very active lady who used to get up I think at 4 in the morning to bake the bread and then take all the phone calls etc later on in the afternoon she would sit in the Booth which she called her Guantanamo....I called her Queen of the Obersalzberg.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 15 Apr 2020, 19:11

Very true! I will never forget all the hours I was privileged to sit and speak with her about history! My last phone call with her was similar - she was very distraught - she knew she was passing and, alas, she had not made sufficient preparation and she knew it was now too late for that.

But on to fonder memories! Like the time I came back in from exploring ruins in the evening, only to find the lobby full of frightened girls from a Czech youth group and the Polizei questioning them. They had reported that they had heard someone "screaming" in the woods. Frau S. told me later, scoffingly, oh, that was just an owl!

Untersberg

Post by Untersberg » 15 Apr 2020, 19:47

Hahahaha....she really was unique Geoff.
Funnily enough she did have an odd opinion about the last days of Adolf Hitler I think they were blurred a little bit by her friend that worked for or I think it's called shark Hunters or something like that who had a rather odd notion that he'd escaped to South America.
It later occurred to me that of course she was very close with Otto Guensche and I expect he confided a lot more with her than with anybody else in those later years after the war.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”