Locating company and regiment

Discussions on WW2 in Eastern Europe.
Gabriela

Locating company and regiment

Post by Gabriela » 06 Apr 2020, 12:49

Hello everyone :)

First of all, thank all those who contribute daily with information, I learned a lot by scrolling the pages of this forum. Lately I've been interested in The First Battle of Targu Frumos (I have read the other topics about it too) and I'm trying to locate on the war map, without success, Compania 8, Regimentul 16. My grand grandfather was part of this company in the frontline, he was a border guard and he was declared missed in Vulturi, 12 km away from Iasi. I scrolled the internet after the border regiments and nothing showed up in that area. Could anyone help me in this regard?

Regards,
Gabriela

GregSingh

Re: Locating company and regiment

Post by GregSingh » 10 Apr 2020, 04:56

:welcome:

Here is a map showing Romanian positions near Vulturi. (From war diaries of Soviet 50th Rifle Division).
As you can see there was 5th Cavalry Division there, with regiments 8th, 11th and 6th.

I can't really see regiment 16th in the area. Perhaps it was part of Romanian 7th Infantry Division further to the west, but it's only a guess.

00000003.jpg

Gabriela

Post by Gabriela » 13 Apr 2020, 23:32

GregSingh wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 04:56

Here is a map showing Romanian positions near Vulturi. (From war diaries of Soviet 50th Rifle Division).
As you can see there was 5th Cavalry Division there, with regiments 8th, 11th and 6th.

I can't really see regiment 16th in the area. Perhaps it was part of Romanian 7th Infantry Division further to the west, but it's only a guess.

00000003.jpg
I thought about the 5th Cavalry Division with the 8th regiment too, I read in some articles that the regiments been mixed and some abolished so that is why I could not locate it or perhaps my grandmother forgot some details, but it was clear that he died in that forest, in Vulturi, between 28-30 of April. She told me that in their kitchen was a spy woman, she threaten them with the gun and made them cross the Prut River(?). Our army killed them in order to save the informations they might carrying with them. But I intend to contact the Romanian military archives, maybe I'll have some luck.
Thank you very much for your reply :milwink: :milsmile:

Kind regards,
Gabriela

Gabriela

Post by Gabriela » 14 Apr 2020, 02:04

GregSingh wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 04:56

00000003.jpg
Took me some time to decipher the words in Russian (the words in parentheses are in Russian and the rest of them in Ukrainian, I think) but I figure it out by using an online keyboard to type a text with the Cyrillic characters of the Russian alphabet. I wanted to upload the photo that you posted with the Romanian translation but have no clue, guess I must add a link or something. :D

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 14 Apr 2020, 03:38

Soviet map I uploaded is the best I've seen. If you click on it to load it up, you'll see it in full resolution.
There are plenty of maps of the area not in Cyrillic, but not that good and couldn't find any showing actual Romanian positions.
You can also use Google maps and a satellite view, but it seems names of some villages changed since 1940's as well as topology, eg. forest you see on Goggle satellite view along road from Vulturi to Moimești does not exist on any war time maps, perhaps it was planted post war.
So you have larger forest east of Vulturi and small one north of it.

Here is a fragment of German period map, not much details, but don't have to struggle with Cyrillic script!

Jassi.jpg

Gabriela

Post by Gabriela » 14 Apr 2020, 09:11

GregSingh wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 03:38
Soviet map I uploaded is the best I've seen. If you click on it to load it up, you'll see it in full resolution.
There are plenty of maps of the area not in Cyrillic, but not that good and couldn't find any showing actual Romanian positions.
You can also use Google maps and a satellite view, but it seems names of some villages changed since 1940's as well as topology, eg. forest you see on Goggle satellite view along road from Vulturi to Moimești does not exist on any war time maps, perhaps it was planted post war.
So you have larger forest east of Vulturi and small one north of it.

Here is a fragment of German period map, not much details, but don't have to struggle with Cyrillic script!

Jassi.jpg
Thank you for the explanation and for your time!

Return to “WW2 in Eastern Europe”