Platterhof aka Hotel General Walker - Never shown (raw) footage from 2001

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
BEGAFILM

Platterhof aka Hotel General Walker - Never shown (raw) footage from 2001

Post by BEGAFILM » 23 Mar 2020, 22:00

Hey Guys,

during the Coronavirus crysis we want to continue to provide you with new and unseen footage from our Archives and do our part to make people stay at home!!

We just uploaded our RAW footage of Platterhof (Hotel General Walker) on Obersalzberg today.
It shows the last state of Platterhof in 2001, days before it got destroyed by the bavarain government. It is RAW Unedited material! We plan to create a full fledged documentary about this topic at some point in the future. Stay tuned for that!

Here is the Video:

https://youtu.be/kubq2KWIPw8

Have fun watching and stay safe at home during this crysis!

Best wishes to everyone,

BEGAFILM
BEGAFILM - History in Motion
Always on the hunt for new Material - If you have films on old formats/film rolls that you cant play - send them over. We will be happy to make the world see it once again.

Br. James

Re: Platterhof aka Hotel General Walker - Never shown (raw) footage from 2001

Post by Br. James » 23 Mar 2020, 23:00

Great footage, friends! I visited the deserted General Walker Hotel in the spring of 1999. You were fortunate enough to gain access inside the buildings; I only strolled the property on the outside...everything was locked up tight when I was there.

I look forward to seeing the new video you are working on!

Br. James

CraigM

Post by CraigM » 24 Mar 2020, 04:41

Thank you again Begafilm. Greatly appreciated. I always look forward to your video posts!

Untersberg

Post by Untersberg » 14 Apr 2020, 14:46

All the original Kehlsteinhaus furniture was stored in the Platterhof...occasionally pulled up the mountain for movies etc.Winds of War being one of them

CraigM

Post by CraigM » 14 Apr 2020, 16:20

Untersberg wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 14:46
All the original Kehlsteinhaus furniture was stored in the Platterhof...
And where is it all now?

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 14 Apr 2020, 18:47

Likely in the offices/houses of the boss and foremen of the firm that tore the hotel down, or perhaps others who were involved in the planning for the demolition. It was acknowledged at the time that a lot of plundering went on then.
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Untersberg

Post by Untersberg » 01 May 2020, 18:12

CraigM wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 16:20
Untersberg wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 14:46
All the original Kehlsteinhaus furniture was stored in the Platterhof...
And where is it all now?
I can only imagine it either was removed by the Bavarian authorities to a place of storage or was taken by the developers and workers at the time of destruction.
I was made aware of the furniture by the father of a girl who owned the small restaurant near the old SS houses...he was previously manager of the Platterhof during its occupation by the US.
He was an accomplished ski instructor and ehen I spoke with him ages ago didn't have much if any interest in the preservation of the chairs....although he posess two white garden chairs that he kept on his veranda of the same type Hitler used on the Berghof terrace. He said he used to have three but one broke and he threw it away! This was back in 99.

Untersberg

Post by Untersberg » 01 May 2020, 18:46

<r><QUOTE author="Geoff Walden" post_id="2262185" time="1586882838" user_id="416"><s>
Geoff Walden wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 18:47
</s>
Likely in the offices/houses of the boss and foremen of the firm that tore the hotel down, or perhaps others who were involved in the planning for the demolition. It was acknowledged at the time that a lot of plundering went on then.
<e>
</e></QUOTE>

<br/>
Just saw that......yes....indeed Geoff.<br/>
I recall being in Berlin at the time they were renovating Görings Air Ministry.<br/>
From a second floor window they THREW out the historic writing table that belonged to Görings one time comrade General Der Flieger Ernst Udet (who committed suicide) Sending it smashing to the ground....I managed to keep two of the iconic wing shaped door handles that every office there had...and a door plate and some paperwork still from that time. But nothing was saved as far as I know from that imposing structure.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 01 May 2020, 20:13

Wow ...

For what it's worth, the US Army still sometimes does things like that, that necessitate "rescue" from a trash dumpster, but not items that might be considered as historical as Udet's desk!

> I was made aware of the furniture by the father of a girl who owned the small restaurant near the old SS houses...he was previously manager of the Platterhof during its occupation by the US.

This would not be the man who ran the Holzkäfer for a while, would it? (I'm not writing his name, because maybe he wouldn't want it here, I don't know ...)

Untersberg

Post by Untersberg » 02 May 2020, 18:04

Geoff Walden wrote:
01 May 2020, 20:13
Wow ...

For what it's worth, the US Army still sometimes does things like that, that necessitate "rescue" from a trash dumpster, but not items that might be considered as historical as Udet's desk!

> I was made aware of the furniture by the father of a girl who owned the small restaurant near the old SS houses...he was previously manager of the Platterhof during its occupation by the US.

This would not be the man who ran the Holzkäfer for a while, would it? (I'm not writing his name, because maybe he wouldn't want it here, I don't know ...)
Yes Geoff....100%....I couldn't remember the name of the restaurant...his daughter was a very attractive young lady!

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 03 May 2020, 17:30

Yes, for sure ... I miss them both at the Holzkäfer, and also my favorite waitress Karla, who doesn't work there anymore.
He told me several interesting things during a couple talks at the restaurant, and also one time when several of us were standing around outside the kitchen door of the Türken.

Untersberg

Post by Untersberg » 04 May 2020, 17:06

Geoff Walden wrote:
03 May 2020, 17:30
Yes, for sure ... I miss them both at the Holzkäfer, and also my favorite waitress Karla, who doesn't work there anymore.
He told me several interesting things during a couple talks at the restaurant, and also one time when several of us were standing around outside the kitchen door of the Türken.
Indeed....I wonder if he still lives there.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”