Hainan, Quemoy, and Matsu islands 1912-1928 (?)

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
Viktor.S

Hainan, Quemoy, and Matsu islands 1912-1928 (?)

Post by Viktor.S » 30 Apr 2020, 17:31

Hello everyone,

During the political chaos in China from the fall of the Qing until the end of the Northern Expedition, what authorities were in control of Hainan and the Quemoy and Matsu islands? Did any of these islands have their own regional warlord regimes, or if not, what political groups were they controlled by?

Thanks.

jerryasher

Re: Hainan, Quemoy, and Matsu islands 1912-1928 (?)

Post by jerryasher » 01 May 2020, 00:31

Hainan --generally part of Guangdong Province. I think was used as stop over for survey of the South China sea in late Qing times--really late, just before 1911 Revolution. In late 1925-very early 1926 Jiang Jieshi had a campaign to ensure it was secure before he set out for "Northern Expedition,"
From time to time one faction in Guangdong or another would organize or reorganize. No real road structure---so politically/militarily a ship to a port was it. Almost like a movie, send a ship. its 3"or 4" gun was the heaviest fire power.
Xiamen dominated area. Even when contesting sides for Xiamen are mentioned I don't recall a significant mention prior to 1928. Fujian Province
Matsu --not really mentioned some role when a maritime disaster near Fuzhou occurs Fujian Province
Hope this helps.

Viktor.S

Post by Viktor.S » 01 May 2020, 11:58

Thank you jerryasher.
jerryasher wrote:
01 May 2020, 00:31
In late 1925-very early 1926 Jiang Jieshi had a campaign to ensure it was secure before he set out for "Northern Expedition,"
Any mention of who he was securing Hainan from?

jerryasher

Post by jerryasher » 01 May 2020, 23:28

Hi Victor: The best reference I can think of was Wilbur's< Missionaries of Revolution: although I seem to remember some sparse reference in, The Northern Expedition. In any case, I didn't take a workable note. Resistance and importance seemed minor. As the National Revolutionary Army was poised for bigger roles, Hainan seemed a backwater. Significance was that Jiang felt it was the last peg he needed to turn full bore for the "Northern Expedition."

theltlev

Post by theltlev » 21 Nov 2020, 11:47

Hello there, Quemoy and Matsu are a bit harder to pin down due to their relatively small scale

Yet Hainan (Qiongya in some sources) does crop up on the map, namely under Deng Benyin, a colourful guy who also controls the surrounding mainland coast, and at one point the western third of Guangdong. He had big plans, reached out to a lot of people (Including the Northern Warlords) and eventually ended up running a resistance group against the Japanese which was gradually infiltrated and taken over by Communists, who acknowledged it was bizzare that this guy was still leading them, yet somehow the two sides made it work. This is the most basic of starts, but you find a lot more if you are willing to sift through the google-translated Mandarin wiki pages

I do not profess to accuracy, or primary sources, but as my old professor used to say "Wikipedia is a great place to start, provided you do not intend to finish at Wikipedia"

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%82%93 ... C%E6%AE%B7

Hope this helps

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”