Red Army assistant commander positions

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Virginian

Red Army assistant commander positions

Post by Virginian » 03 May 2020, 13:35

I have a question about the meaning of assistant regimental commander for хозяйственной части and assistant regimental commander for строевой части. My guess is that хозяйственной части is responsible for supply units and строевой части may be responsible for training. But, I'm not sure. What can native Russian speakers add about these positions? Thanks in advance,

GregSingh

Re: Red Army assistant commander positions

Post by GregSingh » 05 May 2020, 07:13

While waiting for a native, my 2c worth:

Current translation, according to Англо-русский словарь военно-технической и сопутствующей лексики и сокращений с комментариями (English-Russian dictionary of military-technical and related vocabulary and abbreviations with comments):
5-05-2020 14-50-39.jpg
So basically it is personnel/HR section.

Now, that changed over the years as we can find this term initially in the structures of Russian Imperial army. Then it was more of a control position, so numbers/skills in the unit were up to the scratch with all regulations and separate admin section was doing hiring, sending to training, etc. In Red Army it changed as well. According to 1939 tables there was a separate section "Строевая часть" in regimental HQ. In 1942 tables this was gone and replaced by "Admin" section.

Virginian

Post by Virginian » 06 May 2020, 20:04

In that case, then by WWII the admin function would undoubtedly be closer to the reality of the position. If such officers were responsible for admin, would the translation 'assistant to the commander' be a more accurate translation than 'assistant commander'?

Eugen Pinak

Post by Eugen Pinak » 06 May 2020, 20:50

GregSingh wrote:
05 May 2020, 07:13
So basically it is personnel/HR section.
Yes, this is personnel section.

As for "regimental commander for хозяйственной части" - he was indeed responsible for supply, as well as other logistic matters.

Virginian

Post by Virginian » 07 May 2020, 13:01

Thanks Greg and Eugen for the help, guess I'm going to update some articles now.

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”