The official AHF Third Reich music quiz thread

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Maikowski

Re: Question 99

Post by Maikowski » 24 Feb 2020, 15:49

NSPianist wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 08:51
Georg Blumensaat's 'Schweriner Fahnenmarsch'!!
That's it ! The complete title is Schweriner Fahnenmarsch (mit dem Liede "Ein junges Volk steht auf").
It was played here by the Großes Bläserorchester der staatlichen akademischen Hochschule für Musik, Berlin conducted by Georg Blumensaat himself (Source: My Telefunken T6115 record).
It is indeed a very good march and, I must say, one of my favorites.

Congratulations NSPianist ! Teppeny was very close but you win and you have the honor of posting question n° 100 ! :thumbsup:

Cheers
Maiko

NSPianist

Question #100

Post by NSPianist » 10 May 2020, 08:02

Maikowski wrote:
24 Feb 2020, 15:49
NSPianist wrote:
23 Feb 2020, 08:51
Georg Blumensaat's 'Schweriner Fahnenmarsch'!!
That's it ! The complete title is Schweriner Fahnenmarsch (mit dem Liede "Ein junges Volk steht auf").
It was played here by the Großes Bläserorchester der staatlichen akademischen Hochschule für Musik, Berlin conducted by Georg Blumensaat himself (Source: My Telefunken T6115 record).
It is indeed a very good march and, I must say, one of my favorites.

Congratulations NSPianist ! Teppeny was very close but you win and you have the honor of posting question n° 100 ! :thumbsup:

Cheers
Maiko
Nice! Thanks, I got lucky really, the only reason I even recognised it is because I arranged it for piano, it was really interesting to learn about, and now I know the correct title. Cool

Anyways, and apologies for taking so long, but here's my entry for the music quiz. Question #100 is another 'what song' entry. This excerpt was taken from a version of a very popular 3rd Reich song. Who can name the song it's apart of?

Cheers,
NSPianist

Maikowski

Re: Question #100

Post by Maikowski » 11 May 2020, 01:13

Easy ! It is an excerpt from 'Unsere Fahne flattert uns voran' and, if I am not mistaken, it is played here by the SS-Musiksturm 15/III Gruppe Ost under the direction of Obertruppführer Paul Hellmann.
Am I correct ?

Cheers
Maiko

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 11 May 2020, 15:40

Maikowski wrote:
11 May 2020, 01:13
Easy ! It is an excerpt from 'Unsere Fahne flattert uns voran' and, if I am not mistaken, it is played here by the SS-Musiksturm 15/III Gruppe Ost under the direction of Obertruppführer Paul Hellmann.
Since it's the 100th question, here's a bonus (off-quiz) question for fun: the aforementioned Hellmann's recording of "Uns're Fahne flattert uns voran!" has a unique intro, which doesn't appear in any other recording of the song; where does this intro originate from and who composed it? (Hint: a famous opera by a famous composer, which influenced the creation of the Third Reich ;) )

Cheers,
Ivan

NSPianist

Post by NSPianist » 12 May 2020, 00:43

Maikowski wrote:
11 May 2020, 01:13
Am I correct ?

Cheers
Maiko
Correctamundo! Well done! :thumbsup: Your turn!!

Maikowski

Post by Maikowski » 12 May 2020, 02:14

NSPianist wrote:
12 May 2020, 00:43
Correctamundo! Well done! :thumbsup: Your turn!!
Thank you NSPianist !
Before I post question #101, I will give Ivan's bonus question a try :
Ivan Ž. wrote:
11 May 2020, 15:40
Since it's the 100th question, here's a bonus (off-quiz) question for fun: the aforementioned Hellmann's recording of "Uns're Fahne flattert uns voran!" has a unique intro, which doesn't appear in any other recording of the song; where does this intro originate from and who composed it? (Hint: a famous opera by a famous composer, which influenced the creation of the Third Reich ;) )
Dear Ivan,
Could it be the overture of Richard Wagner's 'Rienzi' ?

Cheers
Maiko

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 12 May 2020, 02:31

Ivan Ž. wrote:
11 May 2020, 15:40
Maikowski wrote:
12 May 2020, 02:14
Could it be the overture of Richard Wagner's 'Rienzi' ?
Hello, Maiko

It's indeed from Wagner's "Rienzi", only not from the Overture, but from the Grand War March (Großer Kriegsmarsch) - Act III, Finale.

You can hear it in a newer recording here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbOdOLurRxI&t=00m44s

Hellmann also recorded Wagner's "Großer Kriegsmarsch" complete, a couple of months later (I have that record, I'll post it soon).

Cheers and - over to you! ;)
Ivan

NSPianist

Post by NSPianist » 12 May 2020, 06:27

No worries Maiko, you answered it really quickly!

Ah I figured it would be Wagner, didn't even think of Rienzi. Every day's a school day!

Maikowski

Post by Maikowski » 13 May 2020, 01:54

Ivan Ž. wrote:
12 May 2020, 02:31
It's indeed from Wagner's "Rienzi", only not from the Overture, but from the Grand War March (Großer Kriegsmarsch) - Act III, Finale.
You can hear it in a newer recording here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbOdOLurRxI&t=00m44s
Hellmann also recorded Wagner's "Großer Kriegsmarsch" complete, a couple of months later (I have that record, I'll post it soon).
Hello Ivan,
I must say that the hint helped me a lot. I knew that 'Rienzi' was Hitler's favourite opera and that it had probably had a certain influence on his political career.
I was not sure for the overture and I did not know the Großer Kriegsmarsch of the Act III. Everything is clear now. When I heard it for the first time today I even thought a choir would start singing "Vorwärts ! Vorwärts ! Schmettern die hellen Fanfaren..." 8O :lol:

And thank you for posting your record of the Großer Kriegsmarsch aus "Rienzi" performed by the band of the 15. SS-Standarte in the 78rpm records review section. It is always a pleasure to see such rarities. :thumbsup:
NSPianist wrote:
12 May 2020, 06:27
No worries Maiko, you answered it really quickly!
Ah I figured it would be Wagner, didn't even think of Rienzi. Every day's a school day!
You are absolutely right, NSPianist ! That's why I love this forum so much ! Ivan's knowledge seems to have no limits. He is amazing ! :D

I will post the next question very soon. I just need a little more time.
Till then, take care and stay all safe

Cheers
Maiko

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 15 May 2020, 03:20

Maikowski wrote:
13 May 2020, 01:54
I knew that 'Rienzi' was Hitler's favourite opera and that it had probably had a certain influence on his political career. I was not sure for the overture and I did not know the Großer Kriegsmarsch of the Act III. Everything is clear now. When I heard it for the first time today I even thought a choir would start singing "Vorwärts ! Vorwärts ! Schmettern die hellen Fanfaren..."
Hello, Maiko (and thanks for the kind words)

As I wrote many times before, German propaganda music is much more than just a bunch of random tunes. Many of those musicians were highly intelligent and educated, knowing history pretty well too. Therefore, we can often find hidden messages in the form of melodies, historical comparisons and so on. In this case, Hellmann also didn't choose this melody for the intro randomly. In Act III of "Rienzi", the Roman revolutionary leads his people into a victorious battle; by using such an intro, Hellmann compares Hitler and his youth to Rienzi and his Romans, giving the song a deeper, almost providential, significance.

Cheers,
Ivan

Maikowski

Question #101

Post by Maikowski » 23 May 2020, 12:20

Hello everyone !
Here we are !
No doubt that this intro will sound familiar to all of you... but who will be able to name the medley it is taken from ?

Cheers and good luck !
Maiko

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: Question #101

Post by Ivan Ž. » 23 May 2020, 15:13

A medley known to the wider audience from the camp washing scene from "Triumph des Willens" (in the soundtrack list, at 00:16:39).

Featured in the quiz clip is a version performed by the composer.
Quiz101.jpg
Quiz101.jpg (79.16 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
Cheers,
Ivan

PS
If you already haven't, try finding Fuhsel's recording of the medley, there's some very good singing there.

Maikowski

Re: Question #101

Post by Maikowski » 24 May 2020, 00:22

Exactly ! :thumbsup: It was too easy for you, my dear Ivan ! :lol:
It is your turn now. We are all impatient for the next question.

Cheers
Maiko
Ivan Ž. wrote:
23 May 2020, 15:13
PS
If you already haven't, try finding Fuhsel's recording of the medley, there's some very good singing there.
I would love to hear it some day but I am afraid this record won't be easy to find :roll:

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Question 102

Post by Ivan Ž. » 12 Jun 2020, 21:17

Sorry for the delay! Yes, I admit it was easy, but I answered it because I had the next question lined-up already and couldn't keep it waiting any longer :D But then I had troubles logging into my YT account, hence the delay... Anyhow! Here's the next one: what do we have here...?

Ivan

PS
Be careful - it's a trick question!

Maikowski

Re: Question 102

Post by Maikowski » 13 Jun 2020, 23:39

Well, obviously it is a choir singing the first verse of "Prinz Eugen" (Prinz Eugen, der edle Ritter, wollt' dem Kaiser wied'rum kriegen Stadt und Festung Belgerad...).
However it seems far too easy and something tells me that you are expecting a different answer... :?

Cheers
Maiko

Return to “Music of the Reich”