Best War Movie Ever

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Paul Lakowski

Re: Best War Movie Ever

Post by Paul Lakowski » 18 Feb 2020, 22:51

just saw DARKEST HOUR with Gary Oldham as Churchill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkest_Hour_(film)

This movie showed how perilously close Britain came to defeat ...one HMG WAR-CABINET political decision away!!!! Once it became obvious the people were willing to fight on to the end , the political opposition to Churchill evaporated.

This movie also highlights how little American president Roosevelt could do to help Churchill , due to congressional laws. This also hints at why the Franch collapsed so quickly and possibly how that could have been avoided.

Sakole

Post by Sakole » 23 Mar 2020, 13:02

I loved Darkest Hour, very strong movie and Gary Oldman is the best in my opinion!

Nachrichten9936

Post by Nachrichten9936 » 25 Mar 2020, 00:17

My vote goes to the Australian movie "Breaker Morant.' It deals with issues related to the British-led insurgency against Boer insurgents in South Africa around the turn of the 19th century.

Ivan1987

Post by Ivan1987 » 26 Apr 2020, 20:34

Judging purely from the IMDb rating, Band of Brothers is the best war movie/series ever made!

Paul Lakowski

Post by Paul Lakowski » 27 Apr 2020, 19:47

Just watched Roland Emmerich [2919] MIDWAY movie and thought it was very good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midway_(2019_film)

thompsonmax

Post by thompsonmax » 12 May 2020, 13:18

Hi everyone. It was interesting for me to you your choice. I have just watched DARKEST HOUR and it is really great movie. Thanks.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 16 May 2020, 13:46

Good day,

In my personal opinion, the war movie / anti-war movie "Paths Of Glory" from the year 1957 is the masterpiece of the genre,
and probably never to surpass.

The actor Kirk Douglas in perhaps his most important role, directed by Stanley Kubrick.

Wikipedia (E) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paths_of_Glory

In my younger years, I was born in 1956, the film did not run in the cinemas in Germany.
For the first time I saw the unabridged film on german television, when, unfortunately I can't remember exactly, probably in the early 1970s?

This unique masterpiece still leaves you speechless, is still very hard to bear, a timelessly good and important film.
I suppose many of you will feel the same way.
As I do not yet own the film on DVD, I would be grateful for a recommendation on which version to buy?

Greetings for the weekend

Hans1906
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Mathil92

Post by Mathil92 » 16 May 2020, 21:09

Stalingrad, 1917, Gallipoli

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 17 May 2020, 00:29

Well,

everything is based on a personal taste, perhaps stories, memories.
Whatever once was, we are all shaped by images, certainly also by a music, a sound, the "sound" of a film.

"Come and See" Idi i smotri / Komm und sieh from the year 1986 is one of the movies.
You see this film once, and you never forget it, for the rest of your life.

Wikipedia (E) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_and_See

The film is impossible to describe, worse than the very worst nightmare, as if from life, and completely sick.
When we first saw the film in the 1980s in a cinema in the city of Oldenburg, there was total silence in the cinema after the end of the film.
You could hear people crying quietly, nobody got up and left the room, frightening silence.

The final scene, the young and also very old boy, shooting at the poster of Hitler, disturbing.

I haven't seen the film for many years, but sometimes I dream this film without being able to describe exactly what happens in these dreams...

Hans

P.S. It makes no sense, to post a trailer of the movie, or whatever. You must see it.
Attachments
Idi I Smotri.jpg
Idi I Smotri.jpg (95.7 KiB) Viewed 994 times
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Ivan1987

Post by Ivan1987 » 17 May 2020, 20:38

Thank you for sharing your cinema experience from that movie. That's very interesting.

When I was watching Saving Private Ryan in 1998, half of the cinema was laughing over the beach scene, in which a soldier picks up his hand and runs. People are stupid, what can I tell you.

askropp
Forum Staff

Post by askropp » 17 May 2020, 20:56

I beg your pardon, but I wouldn't mention Idi i smotri and SPR in the same sentence. In my opinion, SPR is only marginally better than the usual Hollywood trash from the 1960s. Malick's Thin Red Line, which appeared in the same year, was lightyears better. Guess who got the Oscars? "But it is Spielberg! It must be good!" :(
There are times in history when staying neutral means taking sides.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 18 May 2020, 13:08

All the value of "Saving Private Ryan" lies in the beach landing scene, which is amazing (I've seen some details from the scene copied countless times since then, by various directors, of various genres). The rest of the movie is just a common action/drama, but still with solid (and at the time quite innovative) directing - and, indeed, some pathetic (trash) Hollywood moments. Personally, I usually turn the film off right after the landing scene. "Иди и смотри", on the other hand, is a masterpiece.

When I was watching "Saving Private Ryan" in 1998, no one was laughing during the beach landing scene, there was a dead silence in the cinema. The moment with soldier picking up his hand in shock was particularly memorable, provoking anything but laughter. But right after the landing scene was over and those US troopers killed the surrendering Germans, making a joke about it, which Spielberg obviously (and disgracefully) intended as a relief-moment, half of the crowd started laughing (letting the steam off, from the previous scene). That's why I don't go to the cinema anymore; the audience often ruins the whole experience.

Cheers,
Ivan

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 18 May 2020, 16:56

Greetings to the topic,

whatever the difference between a "good" and a "bad" film about the war itself, I rarely allow myself to make a personal judgment.

"Savior" from 1998 is one of those films that I personally can't stand anymore.
Too realistic, and for my personal taste too brutal, war in its worst form.

Nevertheless, a movie worth seeing, but only for the more hardened faction, but be careful, the movie is more than "unpleasant", to describe it carefully...

Savior Wikipedia (D): https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savior_(Film)
Savior Wikipedia (E): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savior_(film)

I will not put any pictures or a link to the complete film here, you can find these links yourself.

A nice week to everyone of you!

Hans

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 18 May 2020, 17:52

Moin "askropp",

Thanks for mentioning "The Thin Red Line" about the battle for Guadalcanal Island.
It's an impressive film that I've seen twice in the german dubbing so far.

The Thin Red Line /Wikipedia (E) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thin_ ... 1998_film)

Outstanding the american actor Nick Nolte as the victory-hungry and completely insane Lieutenant Colonel Gordon Tall, what a fantastic performance, almost unbelievable, completely crazy...
The film was rarely shown on german television, a few times late in the evening, probably uncut?
A hardly bearable film, very close to the theme and the actual events of the time, another masterpiece of modern film history.

Very worth seeing!

Hans1906

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 18 May 2020, 19:52

Hans1906 wrote:
18 May 2020, 16:56
"Savior" from 1998 is one of those films that I personally can't stand anymore.
Too realistic, and for my personal taste too brutal, war in its worst form.
In a way (when it comes to brutality), "Savior" could be considered a 1990s Yugoslav war version of a WWII movie "Occupation in 26 Pictures" (Okupacija u 26 slika, 1978), so it was nothing really new when it came out. I preferred the older movie, but generally there are far better war movies than those two. Yes, "The Thin Red Line" was a fine movie (I haven't watched it in a while, thanks for the reminder).

Cheers,
Ivan

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”