Full Belgian Mobilization

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
OldBill

Full Belgian Mobilization

Post by OldBill » 23 May 2020, 21:14

I should know this, but can't recall. Were the Belgians fully mobilized when the Germans invaded?

Prosper Vandenbroucke

Re: Full Belgian Mobilization

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke » 23 May 2020, 23:39

Yes the Belgian Army was mobilized enterely (+/- 600.000 soldiers) but many of them had receive a permission to go home or elsewhere and they where not at their posts.
Many of them were peasants who were released of military duties because they where at work in their farms. Others were on military duty but were working on several other duties by order and were not on their posts
Sorry for my poor english, but's not my native language.
Kindly regards from Belgium
Prosper :wink: :wink:

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 28 May 2020, 03:45

Prosper Vandenbroucke wrote:
23 May 2020, 23:39
... Others were on military duty but were working on several other duties by order and were not on their posts. ...
I recall a description of the battle at the Fortress Eban Emal where it was stated the bulk of the fortress garrison were in a barracks a kilometer or two distant when the German glider assault arrived.

Prosper Vandenbroucke

Post by Prosper Vandenbroucke » 28 May 2020, 11:35

Carl Schwamberger wrote:
28 May 2020, 03:45
Prosper Vandenbroucke wrote:
23 May 2020, 23:39
... Others were on military duty but were working on several other duties by order and were not on their posts. ...
I recall a description of the battle at the Fortress Eban Emal where it was stated the bulk of the fortress garrison were in a barracks a kilometer or two distant when the German glider assault arrived.
Yes you'r right, Eben Emael is a good example.

OldBill

Post by OldBill » 07 Jun 2020, 07:14

Thanks Gentlemen for the replies. I am sorry I didn't reply earlier, my computer broke, and I am now using a different one. Thanks again!

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”