Seelow Heights today

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
headwest

Seelow Heights today

Post by headwest » 30 Jun 2020, 17:30

Hi

Hope this is ok in this forum. I have been studying as best I can the battle for Seelow, Halbe etc. When I google earth Seelow today there are still many mahy trenches and gun emplacements to be seen. However I am from the US and do not know the local laws etc.

If/When I visit Seelow would be a place and Halbe etc and trying to retrace the battle and retreat. Do you know if you can drive some of those small country farm roads to the trenches and explore them? I know in the US places like gettysburg have well defined parks, paths, details and I know that isn't the case for WW2 and Germany but do you need permission? how do you know who owns what? I wouldn't go everywhere but there are a couple places I have historically linked to units that have trenches still there and it would be cool to see them.

also, is there a definitive, accurate book on seelow, hlabe to berlin you would recommend?

thanks much!

Jan-Hendrik

Re: Seelow Heights today

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 01 Jul 2020, 08:32

Best book on this topic (and I have read nearly everything on it):

Der Krieg an der Oder

by Torsten Fudel

Jan-Hendrik

headwest

Post by headwest » 01 Jul 2020, 14:28

oh thanks Jan! I will check that out

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 02 Jul 2020, 22:49

Jan-Hendrik wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 08:32
Best book on this topic (and I have read nearly everything on it):
Der Krieg an der Oder
Any more details on it (sources, scope, content, novelty)? Amazon description is rather non-specific.

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 03 Jul 2020, 06:00

It is a day-to-day account from the beginning of the seelow battle till the fighting in the outskirts of Berlin, well sourced, simply marvelous!

Great for someone who loves it detailed.

Jan-Hendrik

Addenum

steevh

Post by steevh » 11 Jul 2020, 13:26

headwest wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 17:30
Hi

Hope this is ok in this forum. I have been studying as best I can the battle for Seelow, Halbe etc. When I google earth Seelow today there are still many mahy trenches and gun emplacements to be seen. However I am from the US and do not know the local laws etc.

If/When I visit Seelow would be a place and Halbe etc and trying to retrace the battle and retreat. Do you know if you can drive some of those small country farm roads to the trenches and explore them? I know in the US places like gettysburg have well defined parks, paths, details and I know that isn't the case for WW2 and Germany but do you need permission? how do you know who owns what? I wouldn't go everywhere but there are a couple places I have historically linked to units that have trenches still there and it would be cool to see them.

also, is there a definitive, accurate book on seelow, hlabe to berlin you would recommend?

thanks much!
Generally Europe is quite different from the US in terms of rights of way on land. I've spent a fair amount of time cycling around Germany and camping rough. Technically its illegal, but no one ever stopped me from doing it. Unless you're causing notable physical harm, like digging holes in the field where crops are, I don't think anyone is going to bother you.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”