Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
CraigM

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by CraigM » 18 Jun 2020, 07:06

CPB wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 08:37
Is this what was known as Sperrkreis 3? If so, where were Sperrkreis 1 and 2?
When approaching the Obersalzberg from Berchtesgaden, you turn right from Bergwerkstrasse onto Obersalzbergstrasse, crossing over the river. At that point was the first checkpoint. Surprisingly this little partly wooden hut is still there, and still has "1937" carved on it (the eagle and swastika are long gone). There are seven photos of it on Geoff's web site. Search this page http://www.thirdreichruins.com/bgaden.htm for "exterior security zone". You can see the hut in a Google satellite view here https://www.google.com.au/maps/@47.6304 ... a=!3m1!1e3 (it's the small building in the middle with the green roof).

Proceeding up the hill, you'd travel most of the way to the Berghof before encountering the second guardhouse which I'm told was called Torhaus Teugelsbrunn. Below is a crop of a US Army post-bombing aerial photo which shows where this guardhouse was in relation to the 3rd one, followed by a close-up. The location of this guardhouse meant that Speer's house and studio and the Gutshof were inside the second zone. You'll find some pics of the remains here https://www.bunkerfreunde-muenchen.de/m ... mId=298278.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (47.88 KiB) Viewed 2122 times

headwest

Post by headwest » 18 Jun 2020, 17:05

I decided to go back thru this incredible thread and had a couple more questions

today you can see the upper retaining wall, in some period pics at the end of the retaining wall and what looks like close to the height that is above ground there are steps leading down to the side of the wing that was for deliveries, are these steps visible at all? the upper ones? seems they would be very close to whats there above ground since they start at that level

also

there are pictures of them blowing the building up, someone must have filmed this as well, has any film ever come out of the demolition?

thanks

headwest

Post by headwest » 18 Jun 2020, 18:43

Hi again

man, when you go back thru this thread the questions keep coming. I don't think this has been asked but I was wondering.

in the early pictures where there are huge crowds gathered, how did they get there? were there buses from town? i don't ever see any buses or even that many cars, certainly not enough to hold these huge crowds. Did they actually hike up from town? that seems, with children impossible.

just curious about transportation back then

thanks

CPB

Post by CPB » 19 Jun 2020, 10:51

CraigM wrote:
18 Jun 2020, 07:06
CPB wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 08:37
Is this what was known as Sperrkreis 3? If so, where were Sperrkreis 1 and 2?
When approaching the Obersalzberg from Berchtesgaden, you turn right from Bergwerkstrasse onto Obersalzbergstrasse, crossing over the river. At that point was the first checkpoint. Surprisingly this little partly wooden hut is still there, and still has "1937" carved on it (the eagle and swastika are long gone). There are seven photos of it on Geoff's web site. Search this page http://www.thirdreichruins.com/bgaden.htm for "exterior security zone". You can see the hut in a Google satellite view here https://www.google.com.au/maps/@47.6304 ... a=!3m1!1e3 (it's the small building in the middle with the green roof).

Proceeding up the hill, you'd travel most of the way to the Berghof before encountering the second guardhouse which I'm told was called Torhaus Teugelsbrunn. Below is a crop of a US Army post-bombing aerial photo which shows where this guardhouse was in relation to the 3rd one, followed by a close-up. The location of this guardhouse meant that Speer's house and studio and the Gutshof were inside the second zone. You'll find some pics of the remains here https://www.bunkerfreunde-muenchen.de/m ... mId=298278.
Perfect, thanks a lot Craig.

Chris

tunix0

Post by tunix0 » 10 Jul 2020, 11:00

Hi,

I just found an article about a new bridge on the Roßfeld street. The old bridge with the ski pass from 1938 was demolished for this, because the passage with 4m has become too narrow. Modern snow bulldozers are wider and so far have not fit through. :(

https://www.berchtesgadener-anzeiger.de ... 78080.html
---
www.vergessener-beton.de - Gegen das Vergessen!

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 11 Jul 2020, 21:42

Thanks for the news, Christian! But I just cannot figure out - where is this? Where is there a tunnel on the Roßfeldstraße??? Which Mautstelle are they talking about? Which historical bridge did they destroy? Danke!
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

CraigM

Post by CraigM » 11 Jul 2020, 22:57

Geoff Walden wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 21:42
Where is there a tunnel on the Roßfeldstraße???
That's what I wondered too but then I figured maybe they mean a "tunnel" under the road for water to pass through, ie. a bridge? It still doesn't explain which bridge.

Max

Post by Max » 12 Jul 2020, 09:21

Geoff Walden wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 21:42
Thanks for the news, Christian! But I just cannot figure out - where is this? Where is there a tunnel on the Roßfeldstraße??? Which Mautstelle are they talking about? Which historical bridge did they destroy? Danke!
There are a couple of ski passes under the Roßfeldstraße not far from ( above) the Mautstelle Nord.
Rossfeld_Panorama_Winter_Toll Booth.jpg
Rossfeld_Panorama GOOGLE EARTH.jpg
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 13 Jul 2020, 01:07

Thanks, Max! I see it must be the one just up the hill and around the curve from the Mautstelle - the middle red arrow. Not one of the large spectacular arched bridges, like one that is on up the road from there. At least I HOPE it's not that nice tall arched bridge that they tore down!
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

BEGAFILM

Post by BEGAFILM » 17 Jul 2020, 17:35

Hey Guys,

we have uploadet a new video in English language:

MARTIN BORMANN - HITLERS MASTER-BUILDER ON THE OBERSALZBERG

Please enjoy watching and subscribe to our english channel. More videos will follow soon as we are currently translating all our german videos.

Stay tuned!
Thanks and greets from Berchtesgaden,

BEGAFILM
BEGAFILM - History in Motion
Always on the hunt for new Material - If you have films on old formats/film rolls that you cant play - send them over. We will be happy to make the world see it once again.

avid21

Post by avid21 » 19 Jul 2020, 19:35

thank you team -BEGAFILM, for the english version. fascinating to know ever more - about this

Annelie

Post by Annelie » 19 Jul 2020, 20:18

Have looked to see if this was ever part of discussion here but found none.

One of my classic favourite movies is North Face. This movie is based on true facts that took place.
The characters in real life are from Berchtesgaden and Mkt Schellenberg. The back drop is an climb
in 36 for Germany to reach the Eiger top first. Its an truly amazing movie if you like mountains and climbing
and the era.

The movie portrays an attempt in 1936 to summit the Eiger via the north face, the last major unclimbed Alpine face, by two competing teams. The more prominently featured pair are German climbers Toni Kurz (Fürmann) and Andi Hinterstoisser (Lukas). The ascent is covered by the fictional novice journalist Louise (Wokalek) and her cynical editor from a Berlin newspaper.

Toni, Andi and Louise are childhood friends from Berchtesgaden in Bavaria. The boys have joined the German army and are successful amateur climbers and, hearing other teams are making an attempt on the Eiger north face, decide to compete to make the ascent. After being refused leave from the German army (falsely claiming one of them is getting married and the other is to be Best Man), they quit their service in order to make the attempt. They are portrayed as being more interested in mountaineering than politics. The competing team of Austrians are portrayed as hoping for a Nazi-led incorporation of Austria into Germany.

The story of the climb follows the historical narrative of the actual 1936 Eiger North Face climbing disaster. A rescue team reaches within metres to save the last climber alive but a knot tying two short ropes together cannot pass through his carabiner and Kurz dies within earshot of Louise. Distraught at losing her best friends, particularly Toni, to whom she is romantically attached, and repelled by the editor's cynicism, Lousie resigns her job and the film ends with her working as a professional photographer in postwar New York.
I have watched the movie now several times and it does have several scenes in which Berchtesgaden is shown and the ethos of the era of some.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844457/pl ... _=tt_ov_pl

danielgrant007

Post by danielgrant007 » 28 Jul 2020, 08:51

I am pretty sure that is the Gutshoff. Yes there was a golf course/ski area nearby
For Business travelers complete guide is available to avail Sri Lanka business visa

phunkaeg

Post by phunkaeg » 29 Jul 2020, 06:00

Hi all, I've just joined this forum. I thought I'd share a project I've started working on, (which I'm sure many people have probably tried before)

Like most people, I was used to seeing clips of Hitler entertaining, or even relaxing on his terrace overlooking the mountains.
And I'd always wondered where exactly he was. It certainly didn't look like a concrete "Führerbunker" like i'd seen in Downfall and other period pieces about Hitler.

With a bit of extra free time recently (Thanks Covid) I'd started looking into using my skills as a 3d artist, to bring the Berghof into Virtual Reality.
That means, you put on a Virtual Reality headset, and walk through the Berghof, open doors with your hands, sit down and watch a film on the projector, operate the enormous picture window, do some bowling in the basement.

I've found some great starting material on this forum, plans and photos and on other sites some 3d files that other people have started building.

Geoffrey Waldens website Third Reich in Ruin is an amazing source of imagery, but is so low resolution and compressed, that a lot of the detail I'm looking for. (Detail about fabrics, carpets, wood grain, etc) is lost. And digging deeper and deeper into this thread, all i find is either a low res Attachment (is there a way to open the original attachment? I can't seem to find a link, I can only see the preview) and a whole lot of dead links.

As you've probably guessed, I've come begging for sources for higher quality images.
Is there a single repository for the highest quality, preferably color? or a contact, once I've exhausted my current sources, i'll probably be willing to pay, but not all that much, as I'm not a collector.

I've started my modelling project with the Grand Room. I've attached some early drafts.
Keep in mind, this is still the early phase, the detail level and lighting realism improves as I keep working on it.
GrandRoom3.jpg
GrandRoom2.jpg
GrandRoom1.jpg
I'll be replacing a lot of these basic block objects with their detailed versions as I create them.

headwest

Post by headwest » 29 Jul 2020, 14:28

Hi

I dont have any pics, but this is VERY cool, good luck! can't wait to check it out, i have an oculus headset

thanks!

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”