Best War Movie Ever

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Sejanus

Re: Best War Movie Ever

Post by Sejanus » 21 Jun 2020, 07:59

Dan W. wrote:
20 Jun 2020, 07:15
Sejanus wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 10:07
Since this is a German WWII forum, here are some noteworthy works I have not seen mentioned yet in this tread that are related to the NS period, I found them all to be excellent:

Flame & Citron (some sources indicate this was first released in 2008, others in 2009), about Danish resistance fighters during WWII. Portraying the two resistance fighters the film follows as not necessarily heroic and morally ambiguous gives the film a more realistic approach. Be careful whom you trust!

Sophie Scholl - The Final Days (2005), about the real life Sophie Scholl and the members of the White Rose resistance group shortly prior to and after their arrest by the Gestapo, and what happened next. Among the excellent casting is André Hennicke as the emaciated, nearly frothing-at-the-mouth-gone-berzerk Peoples Court Judge Roland Freisler (acting in just the same haranguing way Friesler behaved in real life judging by newsreel footage produced by the Nazis during numerous trials I have seen, including that of the July 20 plotters).
Just have to agree with your take on both of these excellent movies, enjoyed both of them very much. Sophie Scholl - The Final Days, if you have not seen it, is absolute must viewing. It is an extremely powerful movie and is the kind of film that will linger in your memory for many, many months, and perhaps more importantly, is a film that you will never forget, so powerful are the performances. It certainly ranks near the top of my favorite films.
Thank you, Dan.

Cheers!

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 29 Jun 2020, 10:43

Good morning,

today, on June 29th, 1900, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry was born, today is his 120th birthday.

Wikipedia (E) entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Saint-Exupéry

Short movie "Der letzte Flug" / "The Last Flight":

Making of "The Last Flight":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP-AhOa ... re=related

Thanks to the user Johann Heinrich at the german "FdW" for remembering.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Ojukwu Ebubechukwu

Post by Ojukwu Ebubechukwu » 14 Jul 2020, 07:53

Greyhound is thrilling.. it deserves a watch

Nickdfresh
Banned

Post by Nickdfresh » 15 Jul 2020, 03:48

ChristopherPerrien wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 16:06
Hans1906 wrote:
23 May 2020, 10:11
Good morning Christopher,

thank you for mentioning the movie "The Beast Of War" from the year 1988, an extraordinary film, at least for an american production at the time...

To sorry, the quality of this copy on YouTube is more than bad, a small agony to watch the film in such poor quality... :roll:

There are one or two modern russian movies about the war in Afghanistan, to sorry, I do not remember the titles of these movies,
surely someone here in the forum has a clue...?

Rambo/Stallone nonsense not to mention in this topis, a waste of money and time!

Hans1906
Hi Hans ,

Yes the movie "The Beast" and also "Rambo III" , point to the severe hypocrispy of US media x((())). I do remember when the "terrorists" of today were proclaimed as innocent righteous freedom fighters
I agree there are many hypocrisies and double standards, your simplistic false equivalences not withstanding...
... by the US media and aslo the US Gov/zog. These movies are proof of that today.
"ZOG?" Really? Can you tell me what ZOG is?

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 15 Jul 2020, 15:56

Good afternoon,

very long ago, as a young man, I remember reading the book (novel) "Heeresbericht" from the german author Edleff Köppen.

Heeresbericht/Wikipedia (D) https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heeresbericht

A paperback from the 1970(?), found in the bookshelf of a friends father.
Next to "All Quiet on the Western Front", for me personally the most important novel about the first world war, the book has devoured the reader on several occasions.

Was the book ever put on film, any documentaries about Köppen and his famous work known to someone here in the forum?

Hans1906
Attachments
Köppen Heeresbericht.jpg
Köppen Heeresbericht.jpg (78.91 KiB) Viewed 3201 times
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Max

Re: HYENA ROAD

Post by Max » 22 Jul 2020, 14:59

I would probably not put this in a best ever war movie category, but it certainly is well worth a watch.
"Hyena Road " is set in Kandahar Province, Afghanistan, Canadian Army troops are encountering resistance from insurgents as they construct "Hyena Road" deep into Taliban territory.
The battle scenes can be quite edgy but it is the behind the scenes negotiations between the military and the factional players that kept my interest.
That and the explosions - most realistic I 've seen in a movie.
Someone might like to comment on this. Were they using real artillery shells?
Sniper buffs will find much to enjoy [or not ]
The story line is more or less based on real events.
For those of us in Oz SBS On Demand has it for free
https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/9 ... hyena-road
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 23 Jul 2020, 20:36

No. If you see something that you believe violate's the rules, feel free to report it.
Nickdfresh wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 03:36
Sorry I used "low language" mods, but I guess this asshole cunt antisemite can use terms like "Zionist Occupational Gov;t" with impunity? Seems fair! Great job modding, idiots!

Are you really a Neonazi haven?

PatrickBateman

Post by PatrickBateman » 24 Jul 2020, 15:17

Not a movie but "Band of Brothers", hands down. By far my favorite and best WWII show. The way it follows a company from training till the end of the war, a complete story done in a right way. Worth mentioning, Der Untergang, Stalingrad.

Fury (2015) looked interesting, saw it in the theather. Big disappointment, I can handle Hollywood movies but this was too much. For example, the US soldiers acted and scolded like soldiers from the Vietnam War or Iraq/Afghanistan.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 25 Jul 2020, 15:19

Good afternoon Patrick,

I am not into theses series like "Band of Brothers",

for me unfortunately Hollywood "Pop-Corn" cinema, whatever this was good for...

I adore "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb"

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Strangelove

Stanley Kubrick, the master of confusion, the genius of all geniuses.

Clip: "Major Kong riding the final Bomb, Yeahaa!!!" 8-)

Video:

Stay tuned!

Hans1906

@ Max, I was never a so called "fan" of sniper-movies, but thank you for your advice.

Paul Lakowski

Post by Paul Lakowski » 29 Jul 2020, 17:06

LOVE every thing Kubrick did!

Tried to watch a PBS series about E German when the Soviet occupation began ....it was difficult. Cant remember the title?

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 29 Jul 2020, 18:43

Ojukwu Ebubechukwu wrote:
14 Jul 2020, 07:53
Greyhound is thrilling.. it deserves a watch
Retired USN chief petty officer concurs. Details very nicely done. Only a few quibbles.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Dan W.

Post by Dan W. » 01 Aug 2020, 04:27

Who has seen the classic "The Highest Honor" from 1982?

Based on a true story

On 11 September 1944, a squad of 23 Australian and British soldiers lead by Lieutanant-Colonel Ivan Lyon leave Fremantle bound for Indonesia as part of Operation Rimau, an attempted repeat of the highly-successful Operation Jaywick the previous year in which nearly sixty ships in Japanese-occupied Singapore Harbour were destroyed.

I don't even want to describe it, because I don't want to give away the ending, and I wouldn't recommend you find out how it ends in advance of watching it. If you can even find this film on DVD, this is one to get. You'll watch it more than once.

askropp
Forum Staff

Post by askropp » 02 Aug 2020, 22:12

I was now finally able to watch Tuntematon Sotilas ("The Unknown Soldier"), and I'm very impressed. It would be an awful insult to compare this masterpiece to trash like SPR or Fury. There are three available versions, the finnish original movie (180 minutes), a shortened international version (130 minutes) and the mini series (280 minutes). As in the case of Das Boot, the mini series is the best and only complete version, so you should watch this one if you are really interested. Even if compared to other good mini series like Das Boot or Band of Brothers, Tuntemation Sotilas is outstanding. Especially the stellar performance of Eero Aho must be emphasised, as it is exceptional beyond the war movie genre.
There are times in history when staying neutral means taking sides.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 03 Aug 2020, 11:24

Good morning askropp,

thank you very much for mentioning the 2017 movie "The Unknown Soldier" from Finland.

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Unkno ... 2017_film)

The film was not known to me personally at all, like unfortunately many films from the region there.
The photos online are very impressive in themselves, very typical for a finnish film on this topic.
I really want to see that film, it's on my wish list...

Thank you very much for your hint!

Hans1906

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 03 Aug 2020, 18:52

askropp wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 22:12
I was now finally able to watch Tuntematon Sotilas ("The Unknown Soldier"), and I'm very impressed. It would be an awful insult to compare this masterpiece to trash like SPR or Fury. There are three available versions, the finnish original movie (180 minutes), a shortened international version (130 minutes) and the mini series (280 minutes). As in the case of Das Boot, the mini series is the best and only complete version, so you should watch this one if you are really interested. Even if compared to other good mini series like Das Boot or Band of Brothers, Tuntemation Sotilas is outstanding. Especially the stellar performance of Eero Aho must be emphasised, as it is exceptional beyond the war movie genre.
Thanks. I enjoyed the book.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”