Fallschirmjäger at Cassino - 1944 - Böhmler Mss. - FMS

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
Hoplophile

Fallschirmjäger at Cassino - 1944 - Böhmler Mss. - FMS

Post by Hoplophile » 06 Aug 2020, 02:55

In the late 1950s, the Foreign Military Studies program of the Historical Division, United States Army Europe, sponsored the writing of a series of seventy-five short monographs, each of which dealt with a particular engagement involving a German unit (usually of regimental size) during the Second World War. These writings, which form a collection called the “Combat Series,” were given manuscript designations that began with “P-149.”

One of these manuscripts, "P-149/35 Rangierte Abwehrschlacht" ("Defensive Battle in Depth"), by "Colonel Rudolf Boehmler" ("Böhmler"), tells the tale of the defense of Monte Cassino by the 1st Fallschirmjäger Division in 1944. I have searched in the usual places (Sturmpanzer.com, Digital History Archive, Combined Arms Reseach Library, and Fold3) for digital copies, and the catalogs of paper repositories (NARA Archives II and the Army Heritage and Education Center.) Alas, I have not been able to find a copy.

Can anyone suggest other places where I might look for this work?

Sheldrake

Re: Fallschirmjäger at Cassino - 1944 - Böhmler Mss. - FMS

Post by Sheldrake » 06 Aug 2020, 10:35

You could read Bohmlers Book Monte Cassino by Rudolf Bohmler. This is his story of Cassino and Anzio and probably has his thoughts in expanded form.
It is a snip from world of books for £9.29 and a lot more expensive via ABE or Amazon

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/rare ... 20Campaign

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 06 Aug 2020, 16:33

The uncle of my polish/german motorcycle buddy was a veteran from the Monte Cassino battle.

In the 1980s, a very old and handicapped man, a former fighter on the allied side...

I remember the very old veteran, showing us tons of books about the former battle, he was hardly able the speak anymore,
just sitting in his chair in the living room, he could not talk anymore.
Our mate from Poland was more than proud about his very old uncle, kissing his hand was common back then.

What to read about "Monte Cassino", in english or german language?
At the only encounter the old veteran showed us a very large picture book about the painter Hieronymus Bosch, the old
man was more than fascinated about the Bosch paintings, he did not talk about "Monte Cassino" at all.

A very moving memory, unforgotten.

Hans1906

What to read about all this, a very good question?
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 06 Aug 2020, 17:16

Hoplophile wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 02:55
Can anyone suggest other places where I might look for this work?
AHEC didn't have it? That's odd; they have the complete collection the last time I checked. Did you query them? Of course Covid is going to hamper any real response right now.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Hoplophile

Post by Hoplophile » 24 Aug 2020, 00:18

AHEC didn't have it? That's odd; they have the complete collection the last time I checked. Did you query them?
[/quote]

I searched for both the English and German language versions of various Foreign Military Studies reports on the catalog of the Army Heritage and Education Center (AHEC) website, but did not use the query system. So, with thanks for your suggestion, I will do that.

https://usawc.libanswers.com/

Hoplophile

Post by Hoplophile » 24 Aug 2020, 00:27

Sheldrake wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 10:35
You could read Bohmlers Book Monte Cassino by Rudolf Bohmler.

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/rare ... 20Campaign
Böhmler's is, indeed, a splendid source for many aspects of the battle. I particularly liked the chapter on Julius Schlägel's rescue of the treasures of the abby atop Montecassino. The book, however, was written for a general audience, and, as such, lacks many of the military-technical details that I am hoping to find in the Foreign Military Studies report and, strange to say, details of the role played by Böhmler himself in the battle.

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”