"Signal" Magazine in English

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Roger Tidy

"Signal" Magazine in English

Post by Roger Tidy » 04 Jun 2011, 20:01

Does anyone know of a library or archive in the UK where the English-language edition of the German wartime magazine "Signal" is available?

Roger Tidy

J. Duncan

Re: "Signal" Magazine in English

Post by J. Duncan » 04 Jun 2011, 23:25

There is a book (published in 1978) titled "Signal: The Years of Triumph, Hitler's Wartime Picture Magazine" edited by S. L. Mayer which had good photos and excerpts of many articles from Signal translated into English. You may want to start with this book since it's relatively inexpensive used. Actually, there are several books in this series "Best of Signal", "Years of Triumph", and "Years of Retreat". The first being published in 1976. See http://www.abebooks.com

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 05 Jun 2011, 01:08

I've seen the first two, very interesting. I never knew it was so great to be occupied! (These were published on the Channel Islands, IIRC.)
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

bytwerk

Post by bytwerk » 08 Jun 2011, 15:03

I have some material translated here:

http://bytwerk.com/gpa/signal.htm

ramon

Post by ramon » 13 Jun 2011, 23:34

The Center for Research Libraries in Chicago had several bound volumes of Signal in English. I paid for them to filmed on microfilm. In exchange for paying for the filming they sent me the volumes themselves where they've been ever since. This was in the early 70's when I attended UCLA.

Ramon

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 14 Jun 2011, 04:04

ramon wrote:The Center for Research Libraries in Chicago had several bound volumes of Signal in English. I paid for them to filmed on microfilm. In exchange for paying for the filming they sent me the volumes themselves where they've been ever since. This was in the early 70's when I attended UCLA.

Ramon
Have you ever considered PDFing them? Like this: http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/TWI/
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

jerseydamien

Post by jerseydamien » 15 Jul 2011, 18:21

Hi,
Just to clear up a point made earlier in this thread. Signal magazines were not printed here in the Channel Islands/Kanalinseln. They were originally printed in Germany for the American market before the USA joined in the war as there were some pro nazi areas in the states. When the Germans captured the Channel Islands they obviously wanted to "spread the word" and so the magazine was printed in Paris and sent on to the Islands. After the fall of Paris they were obviously supplied or printed for the Islands. Consequently we are able to find them in English over here and I have nearly a full set in my archive.
Damien,
Jersey.

markc

Post by markc » 31 Mar 2013, 19:46

ramon wrote:The Center for Research Libraries in Chicago had several bound volumes of Signal in English. I paid for them to filmed on microfilm. In exchange for paying for the filming they sent me the volumes themselves where they've been ever since. This was in the early 70's when I attended UCLA.

Ramon
Hi Ramon,
in the bound volumes are there any complete years ? eg 1941 1-24 ??
are there any 1944 numbers in the volumes ?
thanks
mark

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 01 Apr 2013, 00:01

I would love to put PDFs up on Hyperwar.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Foggy151

Post by Foggy151 » 10 Aug 2020, 18:55

If anyone is out there I have 51 copies of signal magazine in English. And 2 full bound volumes in English for 41/42

CraigM

Post by CraigM » 20 Aug 2020, 15:33

Foggy151 wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 18:55
If anyone is out there I have 51 copies of signal magazine in English. And 2 full bound volumes in English for 41/42
Do any of those editions have any info on the tunnels in the Obersalzberg? Or indeed any info at all on the Obersalzberg, such as buildings, etc?

Max

Post by Max » 01 May 2021, 16:45

Greetings from the Wide Brown.

Tucobenedito

Post by Tucobenedito » 08 May 2021, 21:15

There is also an English version by SL Mayer that accompanies The Years of Triumph mentioned above, The Years of Retreat 1943-44. It is a compilation of various stories and photographs from Signal. Stories about allied geo-political goals such as dominating post war air travel. There is also a story about the "two England's" . One is composed of people who pronounce the letter H, Such as " I am going home to my house". The other Englanders don't pronounce the letter H, such as, "I am going ome to my ouse". What the point of that story was I do not know.
Apparently the migrant workers are all happy and having (appy and aving?)a great time. There is also a feature on Whermacht units from various Soviet Republics.
It was an interesting read that's for sure. I got it in a second hand bookshop for £3.

Linkagain

Post by Linkagain » 08 May 2021, 21:47

Year ago You could buy books made up of Signal magaizne...typical was the fact of mixture of truth and ptopaganda
Example..a two page color spread of a ME-109 chasing a Hurricane...[both flown by German Pilots].. a color picture of a Me 110 flying over the Cliffs of Dover {In signal[?] and yess there was a atricle photographs of a P-38 pilot shot down in North Africa..and meeting the german pilot who shot hims down ! {German pilot wasnt named but it was Tony Hafner (KIA} Years later Life Magazine tracked down the US Pilot who at that time {1960] was a career officer USAF>....

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”