Ukrainians in Luftwaffe service

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
thezerech

Ukrainians in Luftwaffe service

Post by thezerech » 02 Oct 2020, 00:38

Hello, I recently stumbled upon this quote from Axis Air Forces: In Support of the German Luftwaffe which I found online.
More than 1,000 Galician youngsters volunteered for ground personnel duty with the Luftwaffe. When they turned 18, some transferred to engine mechanics’ school, labor battalions for airfield maintenance, or medical corps. Beginning after New Year’s 1943, Ukrainians with language skills attended translator courses in German, Russian, and English at Prague. They graduated as officers with their own Luftwaffe uniforms, including ceremonial daggers, and a special cuff title emblazoned with their country’s blue-gold national colors and the word, Dolmetsche, for “Translator”.

Eastern Europeans with extraordinary physical and intellectual abilities were eligible for flight training, and some became exceptional pilots in the Luftwaffe. Paul Pianchuk flew 31 combat missions against the Soviets; and Ivan Sushko, together with several other Ukrainian fighter pilots, received the Iron Cross First Class. Serafyma Sytnyk, a former Ukrainian major in the Red Air Force, was the only female pilot in the German Air Force serving at the front.’ Anton Kyivskyj became a wing leader, but the highest-ranking officer of his kind was Major Severyn Saprun, who commanded all Ukrainians in the Luftwaffe. They were distinguished by a blue-gold shield sewn on the shoulder sleeve, signifying the Ukrayins’ke Vyzvol’ne Viys’ko, or Ukrainian Liberation Army, which numbered 80,000 volunteers by war’s end.’

Earlier, many Ukrainians had enlisted in the air arm of the Komitet Oborony Narodov Rossii (“Army for a Free Russia”), created by the former Red Army General Andrei Andreyevich Vlassov, to unite all former Soviet-dominated nations against the USSR, although 20 Ukrainian flight officers signed a petition to Hermann Goering, requesting the formation of a separate all-Ukrainian fighter squadron. The Luftwaffe chief regarded them so highly, he assigned Pavel Olejnyk to command an all-jet unit of Messerschmitt Me-262 Stormbirds for the defense of Berlin, but their operational life was cut short by the close of hostilities in early May.
I had never heard of any Ukrainian luftwaffe personnel beforehand, either within German units, attached to ROA units, attached to Ukrainian Liberation Army units or bearing UVV insignia. If any of the Ukrainophiles on this board have got any further information on Ukrainians in luftwaffe, units they were attached to, or personal histories of these people I would greatly appreciate it. Any sources in any language would also be appreciated.

I would love to know anything more about this subject, or where the author of this book (I don't own a copy) got this information. That Ukrainians were going to fly a unit Me-262s seems almost fantastical, although German command was certainly prone to flights of fancy and delusions of grandeur so I feel comfortable in believing that this may in fact be true.

Sturmschwein

Re: Ukrainians in Luftwaffe service

Post by Sturmschwein » 02 Oct 2020, 02:48

For me Ukrainians in Luftwaffe is also a very interesting topic. Sadly i didn´t know that much about this topic because information is rare but I have some photos of Ukrainians in Luftwaffe.

thezerech

Post by thezerech » 04 Oct 2020, 18:33

Does anyone know any general Luftwaffe databases in which it would be possible to find information on records of pilots or service? I might cross post this in the Luftwaffe board too, if that's okay, I'd love to know which planes were flown, in Luftwaffe or ROA colors by Ukrainians.

There is a certain tragic irony in Ukrainians flying for both sides, so to speak, Ivan Kozhedub was the highest scoring allied ace, and a Ukrainian. That it is possible that he could have shot down another Ukrainian flying for the Luftwaffe is rather symbolic of the role of Ukrainians during the war as a whole.

Any other information on ROA rosters of air units would be appreciated.

Any of you familiar with academic research or resources for ww2 could give any pointers? This has really peaked my interest and, pending possible research avenues, I might want to dedicate some more time to digging up this info.

Askold

Post by Askold » 17 Oct 2020, 00:50

Hi Sturmschwein

That first photo, what a fantastic pic, i have never seen it before! The black tabs would indicate that members of YBB Luftwaffe belong to Pioneer unit. Is this a photo from your collection?

thezerech

The author's information comes from a number of sources, including a website i used to have - he pretty much copied my chapter here :) The last bit about Olejnyk is completely wrong though, Olejnyk was born from a mixed Ukrainian-German family, but he served in regular Luftwaffe and had nothing to do with volunteer movement.

Re databases - there is a Czech website somewhere which lists all the Luftwaffe kills per pilot - you can dig up the kills of Ukrainian volunteers also.

P.S. The information on Ukrainians in Luftwaffe (and on most volunteers in Luftwaffe for that matter) is quite scarce. I have written an article on a subject that was published in Visti Kombatanta. If you can read Ukrainian, message me your email and I can send it to you.

Askold

Post by Askold » 17 Oct 2020, 00:52

Some extra pictures
Attachments
ukr let6.JPG
ukr let4.JPG
ukr let2.JPG
phuww.gif
phuww.gif (34.86 KiB) Viewed 7119 times

Askold

Post by Askold » 17 Oct 2020, 01:05

YBB Luftwaffe Flak unit, located near the city of Jeger. Note the large yellow-blue flag - such flag was used by both YBB Luftwaffe units and Ukrainian Flakhefers.
Attachments
Ukr Luft Flak 3 a.JPG
Ukr Luft Flak 2 a.JPG
Ukr Luft Flak 1 a.JPG
Ukr Luft Flak 1 a.JPG (45.23 KiB) Viewed 7119 times

Sturmschwein

Post by Sturmschwein » 20 Oct 2020, 02:13

Askold wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 00:50
Hi Sturmschwein

That first photo, what a fantastic pic, i have never seen it before! The black tabs would indicate that members of YBB Luftwaffe belong to Pioneer unit. Is this a photo from your collection?
Hi Askold

That photo is not from my collection. Sadly I dont remember anymore where I found it.

petrom

Post by petrom » 17 Jan 2021, 06:06

Askold wrote:
17 Oct 2020, 00:50
Hi Sturmschwein

That first photo, what a fantastic pic, i have never seen it before! The black tabs would indicate that members of YBB Luftwaffe belong to Pioneer unit. Is this a photo from
This is my family photo and it should have come with an acknowledgement of where it is from. That is my father on the right. The other 2 I do not know who they are. I would be interested in more information, as we know nothing of my fathers service. I know he was an electrician and ended up in a DP camp at Raitersaich between Ansbach and Nuremberg. I understand the Raitersaich camp was a Luftwaffe training base.

petrom

Post by petrom » 17 Jan 2021, 06:08

Sturmschwein wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 02:48
For me Ukrainians in Luftwaffe is also a very interesting topic. Sadly i didn´t know that much about this topic because information is rare but I have some photos of Ukrainians in Luftwaffe.

The first photo is mine. it is of my father on the right. the 2 others I do not know who they are.

onebubblygal

Post by onebubblygal » 23 Sep 2021, 12:06

Good Morning, I’m helping a friend with her family history. Her father was born in The Ukraine in 1927. On looking through his documents we found that he was in the Luftwaffe. How would this come about? I’m awaiting documentation that she will forward over today to try and build a picture of her dads history. He eventually settled in England and married her mum from Leigh, Wigan in 1959. Any help would be great.

Linkagain

Post by Linkagain » 23 Sep 2021, 14:31

Interesting,,,,I think I read somewhere that some Ukrainians were attached to the Luftwaffe and form themselves into mobile fire prevention brigades to out out fires in german cities after bombings.Can ANyone clarify this ?

Linkagain

Post by Linkagain » 23 Sep 2021, 14:34

PS I do know the Hungarians also formed themselves into a Stuka Dive bombing units,

Pedro Burak

Post by Pedro Burak » 27 Sep 2021, 12:31

Screenshot_20210926_093331.jpg
Rcently i found in Bundesarchiv this infornation about my grandfather. Can something tell me about this? Thanks

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 27 Sep 2021, 15:32

Hello Pedro B.:

Some of the SS-Zöglinge (Ukrainer) ended up in Luftwaffe Flak units in 1945 - for example:

28.3.45: le.Flak-Abt. 738 operating in the Augsburg area in S Germany reported 185 SS-Zöglinge (Ukrainer) on strength. The batteries were used to defend airfields in that area.

L.

Askold

Post by Askold » 27 Sep 2021, 18:00

onebubblygal wrote:
23 Sep 2021, 12:06
Good Morning, I’m helping a friend with her family history. Her father was born in The Ukraine in 1927. On looking through his documents we found that he was in the Luftwaffe. How would this come about? I’m awaiting documentation that she will forward over today to try and build a picture of her dads history. He eventually settled in England and married her mum from Leigh, Wigan in 1959. Any help would be great.
- There was quite a number of Ukrainian serving in Luftwaffe, from pilots to construction battalions. If you do obtain photos of the documtns, it would be great to post them here - we can figure out exactly where your friend's father served.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”