Where is this monument ?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
von thoma

Where is this monument ?

Post by von thoma » 17 Oct 2020, 22:35

Could you tell me where it is and what it represents ?
Thanks in advance

Garde.jpg
Garde.jpg (36.12 KiB) Viewed 3559 times
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Max

Re: Where is this monument ?

Post by Max » 18 Oct 2020, 01:22

The Equestrian statue of Kaiser Wilhelm I. at the German Corner (Deutsches Eck) in Koblenz,Germany.
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 18 Oct 2020, 02:43

Thank you,

Beautiful place, I've never seen it before
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

henryk

Post by henryk » 18 Oct 2020, 20:21

The upper image, and probably the lower, are of the replica statue installed in 1993. The original was destroyed in 1945.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsches_Eck
With German Reunification in 1990, the German Corner no longer served as a symbol of the aspiration for a united Germany. Thus, a discussion arose regarding a remodelling of the plaza. Critics considered the reinstallation of the equestrian statue of Wilhelm I as anachronistic and improper, whereas promoters saw the opportunity for tourist benefits. As the owner of the site, any decision to reinstall a statue of Wilhelm I rested with the government of the Rhineland-Palatinate. However, the state government transferred its rights to the city of Koblenz. When Werner Theisen, a former newspaper publisher from Koblenz, and his wife Anneliese, announced that they would bear all costs for a reconstruction of the statue, the decision was made to proceed.

The Düsseldorf sculptor, Raymond Kittl, was commissioned to produce a replica of the original sculpture and the remodelled statue was created from durable bronze cast unlike the original which had been made from copper plates. In May 1992, the parts of the statue were brought to Koblenz on board the MS Futura. The assembly work was completed at the port and on 2 September 1993 a mobile lattice boom crane lifted the statue onto the base. The installation took place on Sedan Day, which although no longer officially recognized, was the day on which the German victory in the Battle of Sedan was commemorated. On 25 September 1993, the new statue was inaugurated.

Today, a big national flag and the flags of the 16 Länder are flying at the German Corner as a reminder of German unity. In addition the flag of the United States of America is displayed as a sign of support for the victims of the September 11 attacks. The three parts of the Berlin Wall are now dedicated to the "victims of the division".

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 19 Oct 2020, 11:49

Good morning,

the first photo of the Wehrmacht soldier standing on guard at the "Deutsches Eck" in Koblenz was taken in the
year 1936 , during the so called "Rheinlandbesetzung / Einmarsch in das Rheinland". Well known photo.

Rheinlandbesetzung Wikipedia (G) https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheinlandbesetzung_(1936)

Hans1906

Attached another propaganda photo from 1936, same location, "Deutsches Eck":
(Probably a so called "Photomontage"..?)
Attachments
Deutsches Eck 1936.jpg
Deutsches Eck 1936.jpg (218.71 KiB) Viewed 2803 times
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

FlyingStukas

Post by FlyingStukas » 20 Oct 2020, 10:30

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the front of the monument is all spray painted with so called "artistic expressions"

Filip

Max

Post by Max » 20 Oct 2020, 11:05

FlyingStukas wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 10:30
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the front of the monument is all spray painted with so called "artistic expressions"

Filip
What actually are you referring to?

FlyingStukas

Post by FlyingStukas » 20 Oct 2020, 18:07

Max wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 11:05
FlyingStukas wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 10:30

Filip
What actually are you referring to?
Excuse me, I misread it and referred to the Bismarck monument in Hamburg.

Apologies,
Filip

Max

Post by Max » 21 Oct 2020, 01:41

I take it that this is what you are referring to:
http://bashfuladventurer.com/part-batman-part-bismarck/

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 21 Oct 2020, 11:03

Max, thank you for posting the photo of the "Bismarck-Denkmal" from Hamburg / Germany.

Link with more photos: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bismarck- ... _(Hamburg)

Typical the modern "decoration" with Graffiti, a sign of our modern time, people are just respectless, terrible. :(

There is an old saying in the german language: "Narrenhände beschmieren Tisch und Wände..."

Source: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narrenhän ... _und_Wände

Hans1906
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”