When did 8th Army's logistical flow switch directions?

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
Richard Anderson

Re: When did 8th Army's logistical flow switch directions?

Post by Richard Anderson » 07 Nov 2020, 07:42

Carl Schwamberger wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 05:49
So, I'll bite why was a US Army Major commanding a company of 17 light tanks?
Because the three captains commanding the companies of the 1st Bn, 1st Armored were all given battlefield promotions to major in recognition of their outstanding feats during the Battle for Oran, 8-10 November 1942.

BTW, Major Carl Siglin commanded Company A, not B, and was killed in the Battle of Happy Valley. Company B was commanded by Major William Tuck who was later promoted to lieutenant colonel and commanded the 1st Bn in Italy. However, it wasn't Company B that made the attack on Djedeida Airfield on25 November 1942, it was Company C under Major Rudolph Barlow.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Re: When did 8th Army's logistical flow switch directions?

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 07 Nov 2020, 08:47

Richard Anderson wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 07:42
Carl Schwamberger wrote:
07 Nov 2020, 05:49
So, I'll bite why was a US Army Major commanding a company of 17 light tanks?
Because the three captains commanding the companies of the 1st Bn, 1st Armored were all given battlefield promotions to major in recognition of their outstanding feats during the Battle for Oran, 8-10 November 1942.
That seems rather pedestrian. My first thought was a company commander became a casualty & a Major in a HQ staff section was sent to replace him.

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”