Speed of communication within the Wehrmacht?

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
spindoctor

Speed of communication within the Wehrmacht?

Post by spindoctor » 14 Nov 2020, 16:15

Hi all, I'm interested in the speed of communication within the Wehrmacht. Less about the tactical level and more about the strategic level. As an example, when did news of D-day reach the Wolfschanze? I imagine it might be a couple of hours, but I'd like some sources. If anyone has anything else to add about the technology underlying the communication I'd love to read about that.

GregSingh

Re: Speed of communication within the Wehrmacht?

Post by GregSingh » 15 Nov 2020, 10:22

Speed of communication was pretty much instant and most of the coding/uncoding on telex machines was automated by 1944.
Any lags were most likely because of existing chain of command rather than technological deficiencies.
On the D-Day Hitler was in Berghof, not in Wolfschanze.
Although reports of large number of paratroopers landing in northern France, later reports of heavy beaches bombardment and finally about landings reached Berghof with a lag most likely less than half an hour; there are conflicting reports when Hitler was actually notified.

According to Linge news reached Hitler during breakfast at 10am. According to Speer, Hitler was not notified until midday.
Sources seem to agree that Hitler left for bedroom at 2am and was not asleep until 3am, so when first news about paratroopers landing reached Berghof around 4am, no one dared to wake him up.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 15 Nov 2020, 21:22

spindoctor wrote:
14 Nov 2020, 16:15
Hi all, I'm interested in the speed of communication within the Wehrmacht. Less about the tactical level and more about the strategic level. As an example, when did news of D-day reach the Wolfschanze? I imagine it might be a couple of hours, but I'd like some sources. If anyone has anything else to add about the technology underlying the communication I'd love to read about that.
I watched a documentary last week on youtube, was German made with English translation with printed English and it was about trhe end of the Reich in Berlin. The old soldier who was interviewed said that the last days in Berlin we (them) had to rely 100% on foot messengers actually setting out on foot to various units around Berlin strongholds for updates and to give them orders of the day,hour,etc. he said that most all messengers never was heard from again,amd the ones that came back the inbfo was out of date or not needed anymore do to time lapse. and that his unit had zero clue as to what was actually going on in and arpoubnd Berlin the last few days. I'll try to find the docu.in my history tab and post a lionk, but I PC auto clears history after a period of time, but Ill go to Youtube history and see if I can find it

spindoctor

Post by spindoctor » 17 Nov 2020, 05:44

Thanks.

spindoctor

Post by spindoctor » 17 Nov 2020, 05:45

GregSingh wrote:
15 Nov 2020, 10:22
Speed of communication was pretty much instant and most of the coding/uncoding on telex machines was automated by 1944.
Any lags were most likely because of existing chain of command rather than technological deficiencies.
On the D-Day Hitler was in Berghof, not in Wolfschanze.
Although reports of large number of paratroopers landing in northern France, later reports of heavy beaches bombardment and finally about landings reached Berghof with a lag most likely less than half an hour; there are conflicting reports when Hitler was actually
Thanks for this! I learned a lot!

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”