Military chaplains in the Serbian Volunteer Corps (SDK)

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
K.Kocjancic

Military chaplains in the Serbian Volunteer Corps (SDK)

Post by K.Kocjancic » 01 Dec 2020, 11:27

Does anyone have any sources regarding the presence of military chaplains in the Serbian Volunteer Corps?

Regards,
Klemen

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Re: Military chaplains in the Serbian Volunteer Corps (SDK)

Post by G. Trifkovic » 01 Dec 2020, 18:21

Hi Klemen,

all that I could find is that the SFK had the post of Religious Advisor, held by the priest Aleksa Todorović. The post was attached to the Educational Department (Prosvetno odelenje/služba) of the Corps' main HQ. Apart from at least five theologians active in the department, only two of the "educational officers", who were normally attached to each detachment/battalion/regiment, were priests: priest Miljković with the 3rd Regiment, and deacon Krupežević with the 4th.

Stevan Piroćanac, Srpski dobrovoljci u reči i slici 1941-1945 (Valjevo: Udruženje srpskih dobrovoljaca, 2010), p. 68.
Bojan Dimitrijević, Vojska Nedićeve Srbije 1941-1945 (Belgrade: Službeni glasnik, 2014), p. 354.

I found some references to "priests" attached to each of the regiments, but my sources don't mention military chaplains in the traditional sense of the word.

Best,

G.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 01 Dec 2020, 19:08

Hello, G.

Yes, the regimental priests were military chaplains; see for example:
p242.jpg
p242.jpg (91.13 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
Deacon Žika (centre) wears a cross on his šubara hat in this one.
p234.jpg
p234.jpg (91.23 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
Source: Stevan Piroćanac, Srpski dobrovoljci 1941-1945 u reči i slici, pp. 242, 234

Hello, Klemen

You'll find them listed in those scans I sent you a while ago from Karapandžić's book SDK u službi naroda i otadžbine (pp. 107-129).

Cheers,
Ivan

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 01 Dec 2020, 19:23

Hi Ivan,

were they officially known as military chaplains, or did they discharge their religious duties as a part of their work as educational officers?

Best,

G.

P.S. Not necessarily relevant, but I am thinking of Partisan "Religious Advisors": officially, they were in charge of keeping track of the unit's deceased and providing religious services to the population, but not to the Partisans (at least officially), which means they don't qualify as traditional "military chaplains".

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 01 Dec 2020, 20:09

Hello, G.

Yes, each regiment had a chaplain and also an educational officer. For example, the two men pictured in the first image (Deacon Žika Krupežević and Priest Stevan Peštanac) were the regimental educational officer (pukovski prosvetar) and the regimental chaplain (pukovski sveštenik) of the IV Regiment (see p. 123 of the aforementioned Karapandžić's book). (Educational officers usually weren't religious leaders, but some were.) Note: Karapandžić listed no chaplain for the V Regiment and it appears that one priest acted as chaplain and educational officer for the III Regiment.

Cheers,
Ivan

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 01 Dec 2020, 20:32

Ivan Ž. wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 20:09
Hello, G.

Yes, each regiment had a chaplain and also an educational officer. For example, the two men pictured in the first image (Deacon Žika Krupežević and Priest Stevan Peštanac) were the regimental educational officer (pukovski prosvetar) and the regimental chaplain (pukovski sveštenik) of the IV Regiment (see p. 123 of the aforementioned Karapandžić's book). (Educational officers usually weren't religious leaders, but some were.)

Cheers,
Ivan
Hi Ivan,

and thanks for setting the matter straight. According to the above-mentioned Karapandžić's book, the following persons were active as chaplains in the SFK:

1st Regiment: Ljubisav Đurić
2nd --II-- : Dobrivoje Stanojević
3rd --II-- : N/A (I assume Miljković acted in twin-capacity as educational officer and chaplain)
4th --II-- : Stevan Peštanac
5th --II-- : N/A

Best,

G.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 01 Dec 2020, 21:05

Hello, G.

You were writing your reply at the same time I was adding my note above :) Yes, in the III Regiment, Priest Radovan Miljković probably acted both as educational officer (his official assignment) and chaplain. There was also an assistant chaplain in the II Regiment: Priest Žika Bogdanović.

Cheers,
Ivan

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 02 Dec 2020, 15:43

G. Trifkovic wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 18:21
Hi Klemen,

all that I could find is that the SFK had the post of Religious Advisor, held by the priest Aleksa Todorović. The post was attached to the Educational Department (Prosvetno odelenje/služba) of the Corps' main HQ. Apart from at least five theologians active in the department, only two of the "educational officers", who were normally attached to each detachment/battalion/regiment, were priests: priest Miljković with the 3rd Regiment, and deacon Krupežević with the 4th.

Stevan Piroćanac, Srpski dobrovoljci u reči i slici 1941-1945 (Valjevo: Udruženje srpskih dobrovoljaca, 2010), p. 60.
Bojan Dimitrijević, Vojska Nedićeve Srbije 1941-1945 (Belgrade: Službeni glasnik, 2014), p. 354.

I found some references to "priests" attached to each of the regiments, but my sources don't mention military chaplains in the traditional sense of the word.

Best,

G.
Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Klemen

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 02 Dec 2020, 15:45

Ivan Ž. wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 19:08
Hello, G.

Yes, the regimental priests were military chaplains; see for example:

p242.jpg
Deacon Žika (centre) wears a cross on his šubara hat in this one.
p234.jpg
Source: Stevan Piroćanac, Srpski dobrovoljci 1941-1945 u reči i slici, pp. 242, 234

Hello, Klemen

You'll find them listed in those scans I sent you a while ago from Karapandžić's book SDK u službi naroda i otadžbine (pp. 107-129).

Cheers,
Ivan
Thanks a lot for reminding me!

Regards,
Klemen

Kurtsuljo

Post by Kurtsuljo » 21 Nov 2022, 15:32

Old thread but I'm curious if there were there any Islamic Chaplins in the units? What about catholic ones? I know the Muslim voulnteers had an imam with them when taking their oath (same with catholics) but I'm not sure if they actually served in the SDK units themselves.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 21 Nov 2022, 17:03

The SDK had Orthodox chaplains. I've already explained the misinterpreted oath-taking event, involving all branches of the Serbian armed forces.

Cheers,
Ivan

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”