Carolina Ciano née Pini, mother of Galeazzo

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
DavidFrankenberg

Carolina Ciano née Pini, mother of Galeazzo

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 08 Aug 2020, 13:43

Hi,

Rachele Mussolini never hide his antipathy toward Galeazzo. In one of her books she published after the war, she speaks about an other book written by Carolina Ciano in which Carolina.

But what is this book that Carolina is supposed to have written ?

I am unable to find any book written by Carolina Ciano on the internet.

If somebody knows.

Thank you

DrG

Re: Carolina Ciano née Pini, mother of Galeazzo

Post by DrG » 12 Aug 2020, 14:49

I have checked in the cumulative catalogue of Italian libraries http://www.internetculturale.it/, but no books by Carolina Ciano or Pini are listed.
Maybe it was a booklet with a small circulation among her acquaintances or she was interviewed and her words have been reported in somebody else's book.

DavidFrankenberg

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 12 Aug 2020, 23:17

I also made some research (eBay abebooks etc) and found absolutely nothing... I was wondering if Rachele who spoke about "memoirs" didn't just think about any articles in any gossip magazine or interview in any newspaper ???

DavidFrankenberg

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 15 Oct 2020, 22:36

DrG wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 14:49
I have checked in the cumulative catalogue of Italian libraries http://www.internetculturale.it/, but no books by Carolina Ciano or Pini are listed.
Maybe it was a booklet with a small circulation among her acquaintances or she was interviewed and her words have been reported in somebody else's book.
Rachel talks about it in My life with Mussolini at the end of chapter 12 : "Carolina always showed me a lot of affection in all circumstances, that's why I don't understand how she could have published recently a book of Memoirs which contrats so strongly with her lovely behavior and friendship towards me during those last years.
Rachele wrote it in 1948.

DrG

Post by DrG » 02 Jan 2021, 04:20

DavidFrankenberg wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 22:36
Rachel talks about it in My life with Mussolini at the end of chapter 12 : "Carolina always showed me a lot of affection in all circumstances, that's why I don't understand how she could have published recently a book of Memoirs which contrats so strongly with her lovely behavior and friendship towards me during those last years.
I have the Mondadori edition of 1948, but I cannot find this passage. Surely it is not in the XII chapter of the Italian edition, which is about the Lateran Pacts. Probably the English edition has a different number of chapters. Anyway, can you provide me more details about the point of the book where you found this passage? I fear it may be a mistake in the translation.

DavidFrankenberg

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 02 Jan 2021, 09:11

DrG wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 04:20
DavidFrankenberg wrote:
15 Oct 2020, 22:36
I have the Mondadori edition of 1948, but I cannot find this passage. Surely it is not in the XII chapter of the Italian edition, which is about the Lateran Pacts. Probably the English edition has a different number of chapters. Anyway, can you provide me more details about the point of the book where you found this passage? I fear it may be a mistake in the translation.
My bad ! I was talking about the book she published in 1958. Il mio uomo.

DrG

Post by DrG » 02 Jan 2021, 17:51

Unluckily I haven't this book by Rachele Mussolini, but if you have its Italian edition clearly it isn't a matter of wrong translations.

Meanwhile, I have discovered that Carolina Pini in Ciano (by the way, in Italy there isn't a fixed norm about the surname of a married woman; legally she always keeps her own as a nubile, but in common use she can use only hers, or only that of her husband, or both hers and of her husband or, and this is the most precise and somewhat burocratic version, her surname plus "in" and then her husband's surname) published a series of articles with the title "Il mio Galeazzo" on the weekly newspaper "Gente" in 1957. Here you can buy the issue of this journal which contains the 7th part of the series: https://www.ebay.it/itm/GENTE-N-10-1957 ... 2395304710 . I am pretty sure that Rachele Mussolini (or Rachele Guidi, or Rachele Guidi Mussolini, or Rachele Guidi in Mussolini) was referring to these articles and not to a book.

DavidFrankenberg

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 02 Jan 2021, 18:53

DrG wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 17:51
Unluckily I haven't this book by Rachele Mussolini, but if you have its Italian edition clearly it isn't a matter of wrong translations.

Meanwhile, I have discovered that Carolina Pini in Ciano (by the way, in Italy there isn't a fixed norm about the surname of a married woman; legally she always keeps her own as a nubile, but in common use she can use only hers, or only that of her husband, or both hers and of her husband or, and this is the most precise and somewhat burocratic version, her surname plus "in" and then her husband's surname) published a series of articles with the title "Il mio Galeazzo" on the weekly newspaper "Gente" in 1957. Here you can buy the issue of this journal which contains the 7th part of the series: https://www.ebay.it/itm/GENTE-N-10-1957 ... 2395304710 . I am pretty sure that Rachele Mussolini (or Rachele Guidi, or Rachele Guidi Mussolini, or Rachele Guidi in Mussolini) was referring to these articles and not to a book.
Wonderful :thumbsup:

DrG

Post by DrG » 02 Jan 2021, 19:24

I am glad I have helped you. Please let me know what you will discover if you will manage to get a copy of those articles.

DavidFrankenberg

Post by DavidFrankenberg » 02 Jan 2021, 23:42

DrG wrote:
02 Jan 2021, 19:24
I am glad I have helped you. Please let me know what you will discover if you will manage to get a copy of those articles.
I will. :thumbsup:

For sure, these papers of 1957 alone explain the new book by Rachele the following year.
It can't be otherwise. I'm pretty sure. It's a stepmother's fight :milsmile:

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”