History in the nineteenth century

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
Khurik

History in the nineteenth century

Post by Khurik » 03 Jan 2021, 14:47

Hello everyone, I have some questions about Three wars, which took place between China and the West in the nineteenth century. Anyone could help me please!

Questions are shown below:

1. What were the consequences of these wars for China?
2. Why did the West easily and gradually conquer the world in the 18th and 19th centuries?

jerryasher

Re: History in the nineteenth century

Post by jerryasher » 04 Jan 2021, 03:57

Welcome to Board. May I suggest you reword your enquiry? Let me start however with question 2 and hope to contribute something like a framework or context. Chinese voyages during the Ming Dynasty --certainly rounded out scholars understanding re: Europe, but also the existence of the South Seas, Africa and possibly North America. A decision was made that there was nothing of practical value worth the cost of the effort. In contrast the European explorers saw each effort as a plus and got better and better at more and more things. In time it also meant stronger, they could do more and more things and understood even the benefits of new ways of thinking and doing. Not overly happy with this as a start--but it is a start. In the late 1790's, the British marveled at the unity of China, but fifty years later, they were sure they could win on any battlefield. That confidence in Britain lead to what I understand is called (English translation) The Century of Humiliation, in Chinese historical narratives. P.S> where in China? I'm in California.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 05 Jan 2021, 23:41

Khurik wrote:
03 Jan 2021, 14:47
2. Why did the West easily and gradually conquer the world in the 18th and 19th centuries?
Due to it being the first major world region to industrialize on a massive scale?

wm

Post by wm » 06 Jan 2021, 00:39

The other theory is China didn't need any conquering, they had achieved a good life and didn't need any more of it.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 11 Jan 2021, 23:57

wm wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 00:39
The other theory is China didn't need any conquering, they had achieved a good life and didn't need any more of it.
It would have also been nice to avoid getting one's butts kicked, no?

Steve

Post by Steve » 19 Jan 2021, 00:00

Lord Macartney was the first British envoy to China and just before leaving in 1794 he wrote in his journal the following. “The Empire of China is an old, crazy, first rate man-of-war, which a fortunate succession of able and vigilant officers has contrived to keep afloat for these one hundred and fifty years past, and to overawe their neighbours merely by her bulk and appearance, but whenever an insufficient man happens to have the command upon deck, adieu to discipline and the safety of the ship. She may perhaps not sink outright; she may drift some time as a wreck, and will then be dashed to pieces on the shore; but she can never be rebuilt on the old bottom.”

After the British kicked in the Empires front door in 1840 the whole shambolic edifice started to internally collapse. The Chinese Empire in the early 19c was not mainly populated by happy self sufficient peasants it was mainly populated by unhappy often hungry peasants.

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”