Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
CPB

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by CPB » 06 Feb 2021, 14:56

Does anyone have photos, film footage or reports on Eisenhower’s visit to the ‘Eagle’s Nest’ in September 1945?

Chris

Biber

Post by Biber » 06 Feb 2021, 17:52

Don't know about about the Eagle's nest but there is footage and photos of him at the Berghof. Perhaps look in all the usual places?

A google image search of Eisenhauer and Eagle's nest finds a facebook picture of him at Kehlstein.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 06 Feb 2021, 18:34

Chris,

Do you already have the photos from the US Army Signal Corps Collection in the US National Archives? I think there are three or four views ...

Geoff
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

CPB

Post by CPB » 06 Feb 2021, 19:46

Geoff Walden wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 18:34
Chris,

Do you already have the photos from the US Army Signal Corps Collection in the US National Archives? I think there are three or four views ...

Geoff
Thanks Geoff, and Biber...

For some reason I can't seem to find anything much online about it, let alone footage of him at the Berghof.

As for the US Army Signal Corps Collection...I've not looked, but will head there now - thanks! Are those 3-4 photos you mentioned available online do you, Geoff?

Chris

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 06 Feb 2021, 21:43

Here ya go ...
(There seem to be many more photos of Gen. Mark Clark showing various dignitaries around the sites, than of Ike.)
Attachments
RG 111 SC 226004.jpg
US National Archives
RG 111 SC 226004a.jpg
US National Archives
RG 111 SC 226142.jpg
US National Archives
RG 111 SC 226142a.jpg
US National Archives

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 06 Feb 2021, 21:45

What happened to the 'famous table of signatures'?'
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 06 Feb 2021, 21:47

Gen. Mark Clark shows Ike around the Berghof ruins and the Eagle's Nest.
Attachments
RG 111 SC 226005.jpg
US National Archives
RG 111 SC 226005a.jpg
US National Archives
RG 111 SC 226006.jpg
US National Archives
RG 111 SC 226006a.jpg
US National Archives

CPB

Post by CPB » 06 Feb 2021, 22:24

Geoff, that’s perfect, thank you for finding those...

I also wonder what happened to that signed table. I’m guessing it was moved down to The Platterhof with all the other furniture...then who knows?

CPB

Post by CPB » 07 Feb 2021, 00:52

On the subject of DDE’s visit to Berchtesgaden, adding this here for reference:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mcall. ... y,amp.html

AmateurHistorian

Post by AmateurHistorian » 08 Feb 2021, 18:51

[double post, noob, never mind]
Last edited by AmateurHistorian on 08 Feb 2021, 19:07, edited 1 time in total.

AmateurHistorian

Post by AmateurHistorian » 08 Feb 2021, 18:55

Dear fellow Obersalzberg interested people,

This is my first post here. A number of days before posting, I read through the whole topic.
Ever since I stood first on the garage when I was around 7 years old, that must have been in 1983.
The Obersalzberg and it's ruins intrigue me.

Since so much about the history of Berchtesgaden and Obersalzberg is hidden from the general public (and me for that matter) and corona times, I came up with the plan to create a definitive mother of all maps on google maps about the Obersalzberg.

In one of the documentaries I watched, it's stated that the Speer family did not need a bunker for themselves. They could go to the Gutshof bunker.
Now I found a very obscure drawing of a bunker near the Gutshof, it's in red on the screenshot below. I inteprete the Statement about no bunker for the Speer family as: The Bunker was a reality and not just a plan.
Is this correct? Does anyone have any information about the Gutshof bunker at all?
https://www.udrop.com/96lX/Capture.PNG
The next question I have is, I found here a drawing of the Theaterhalle bunker. I drew that on my map. But is this bunker actually existing or is it just planned?

https://www.udrop.com/96lX/Capture.PNG
I am very curious if somebody knows more on this subject.

-edit- not sure why the image tags are not working, I put the picture url under it-

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 09 Feb 2021, 21:35

Welcome to AHF!
:welcome:

The Gutshof tunnel system did (and does) indeed exist, but in an unfinished state. If the Speer family wanted to use this as an air raid shelter, they would need ample warning to get down there, as the entrances were some distance from their house.

The tunnel system beneath the Theaterhalle hill also exists. It is called the Antenberg Stollen. It was for the use of workers in the Antenberg Camp, many of whom took shelter there during the air attack on 25 April 1945.

Both of these tunnel systems are closed off (entrances buried) and not accessible to the public.

You can find more info and photos of these and other OSB tunnel systems at http://thirdreichruins.com/bunkers.htm

The definitive resource on the subject is Florian Beierl's book Hitlers Berg (2004) and the English version Inside Hitler's Mountain (2015). The book has histories, maps, and plans of most of the OSB tunnels. I also encourage you to check out the videos from BEGAFILM on their YouTube channel - viewtopic.php?f=44&t=250583. They have films of many of the OSB tunnel systems.

Geoff

BEGAFILM

Post by BEGAFILM » 10 Feb 2021, 00:35

@Geoff

I have videos of ALL bunkers on the obersalzberg. They are just not yet all online. Some are still missing and in the pipeline.

Flo Baierl was in the bunkers with us all the time. He is a good friend and we worked together creating the book and our videos.

Greets
BEGAFILM - History in Motion
Always on the hunt for new Material - If you have films on old formats/film rolls that you cant play - send them over. We will be happy to make the world see it once again.

AmateurHistorian

Post by AmateurHistorian » 10 Feb 2021, 01:08

Thank you Geoff that helps a lot for this part!

I know your website inside out! Thank you for that too. And I watched everything from BEGAFILM on youtube.
I do not care if they are open to the public or not really. I just want to put them on my map ;)
I am a little bit autistic and I find it hard to imagine the exact locations, to connect history to the present. So, bored of corona I started to make a layer on google maps. It is an intensive puzzle. It looks like so much is hidden nowadays and incredibly hard to find on the internet.
I have the feeling search engines like google are actively censoring.
The more important to make a complete map of all interesting buildings in and around Berchtesgaden.
I do have plans for maps Berlin, Nürnberg en München, but that is for later. It's hard enough to get to know the function of all buildings and all buildings in Berchtesgaden.

AmateurHistorian

Post by AmateurHistorian » 10 Feb 2021, 11:57

A question about the Berghof ruin itself this time.
Near the drive way we have the red baked stones of which Felton says it's foundation of the stairs. In this topic I read it's not.
Does anybody know what then is? Is it part of the corner of the main hall? I read those walls were 1.04 meter in thickness. Or is it part of the projector room?

I would have the sort of the same question about the square ruin a bit more to the retaining wall. I have read this is the foundation of one of the pillars of the entry arches. I forgot to measure where it exactly is and I cannot find it on streetview.
Would you agree this is the foundation of one of those pillars? In that case it should be around 25 meters from the side retaining wall I estimated.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”