Italy's Eastern-Front volunteers

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Komi

Italy's Eastern-Front volunteers

Post by Komi » 16 Feb 2021, 22:02

Aside from the "Savoia" Cossack unit, what other foreign-volunteers did Italy use on the Eastern Front?

I have seen some mentions (in the book 'The Italian Army 1940-45' by Philip S Jowett) of a Croatian Legion (called "Legione Croata Autotransportable") which was sent to support Italy on the Eastern Front. Can anyone share details about them?

And were there any other foreign-volunteers used by Italy to fight the Soviets?

LColombo
Banned

Re: Italy's Eastern-Front volunteers

Post by LColombo » 17 Feb 2021, 02:09

There's some information on the Croatian Legion, as well as other foreign volunteers employed by Italy on the Eastern Front, in these older threads:

https://www.forum.axishistory.com/viewt ... 5&start=45

viewtopic.php?t=117656

viewtopic.php?t=19377

Komi

Post by Komi » 17 Feb 2021, 11:50

LColombo wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 02:09
There's some information on the Croatian Legion, as well as other foreign volunteers employed by Italy on the Eastern Front, in these older threads:

https://www.forum.axishistory.com/viewt ... 5&start=45

viewtopic.php?t=117656

viewtopic.php?t=19377
Thank you. I had not heard about those Ukrainian "Polizia ausiliaria" ... it would be interesting to know more about them if there is information available.

thezerech

Post by thezerech » 27 Feb 2021, 05:58

Komi wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 11:50

Thank you. I had not heard about those Ukrainian "Polizia ausiliaria" ... it would be interesting to know more about them if there is information available.
I had not even heard about an Italian occupation zone in Ukraine, I know Romania had a small one, including mostly Bessarabia and the SE, they were quite brutal. I'm trying to find info on the Italian occupation, I really can't find anything in English, I'll try searching in Italian, then Ukrainian, oddly enough those are the two languages I am learning.

Komi

Post by Komi » 28 Mar 2021, 12:25

Italy recruited quite a lot of collaborators in Yugoslavia (mostly for the local MVAC), yet I've only heard of one unit of Yugoslavs (the above-mentioned "Legione Croata Autotransportable") sent to the Eastern Front. Did Italy recruit any other Yugoslavs for service on the Eastern Front? Or were these Croats the only ones?

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”