Naval volunteer units serving Germany or Italy

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Wim

Re: Naval volunteer units serving Germany or Italy

Post by Wim » 16 Mar 2021, 17:11

Hello Komi,

Mayby they were a full Croation unit and not like the Flemish they served as 'Germans'.

Greetings

Wim
Any information about Flemisch in German service (Waffen SS, OT, NSKK, Kriegsmarine, DRK, ...) during WWII is welcome.

Komi

Post by Komi » 16 Mar 2021, 18:09

Wim wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 17:11
Hello Komi,

Mayby they were a full Croation unit and not like the Flemish they served as 'Germans'.

Greetings

Wim
Were the Flemish in the Kriegsmarine only ratings, or did any serve at officer rank? Do you know any details about where they served ... what vessels, bases, etc?

Wim

Post by Wim » 16 Mar 2021, 18:28

Hello Komi,

By my knowing there were no Flemish officers. I do know that a number of them were sent (06.01.1944) to Glückstadt for the 2e Marine Unteroffizier Lehrgang.

Most of them served on the Ostseeflotille.

1 served and died in the Adriatic see on the 1. Geleiteflotte 'Adria' Torpedojäger/Torpedoboot 'TA 22'
1 served on M 426, 29. MS-Flottille
1 served and died Seetransport Hptst. Napels

this is what i have.

Greetings

Wim
Any information about Flemisch in German service (Waffen SS, OT, NSKK, Kriegsmarine, DRK, ...) during WWII is welcome.

Komi

Post by Komi » 16 Mar 2021, 18:50

Thanks Wim.

Askold

Post by Askold » 27 Sep 2021, 18:33

Komi wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 22:24
I have heard that there were Ukrainians (including defectors from the Soviet Navy) who served with the Kriegsmarine. Does anyone know if they were formed into their own units, or just scattered among German sailors?

There was no unit formed, the Ukrainian (both from Greater Ukriane and Galicia) served in various Kriegsmarine and Coastal Artillery units. The Croatian Naval Legion also had a large Ukrainian contingent, which was recruited from the local Ukrainian population in the city of Odesa.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”