Was it a mistake for Miklos Horthy (the Hungarian regent) to seek a separate peace?

Discussions on all aspects of the smaller Axis nations in Europe and Asia. Hosted by G. Trifkovic.
DrG

Re: Was it a mistake for Miklos Horthy (the Hungarian regent) to seek a separate peace?

Post by DrG » 25 Mar 2021, 22:00

Peter89 wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 08:55
DrG, if you can't (or don't want to) realize why Italy and Hungary are incomparable in this regard, I don't know how to proceed.

Anyway, I provided the growth numbers for Romania and Yugoslavia, and wrote that both can be used as benchmarks to a lesser extent only. At this point I am not sure if it worths to write anything, if you don't read it.
Peter89, I have demonstrated (if you know what a t-test is) that Hungary's per capita GDP growth during your beloved communist regime was not statistically different from that of any other country in the Eastern bloc (as far as Romania is concerned, it was rather lower), it is futile to repeat your lies. And, again, you don't even understand that the only way to test two scenarios (i.e. with or without communism) is by comparing two alternatives. If, under similar socio-political regimes two countries have a similar develpment and then, with completely different regimes, their economies diverge, it is a crude (but, for somebody who though that Gini were an acronym and not a surname, it was already more than enough) way to show that those regimes do have a significance. But you are so left-winged that cannot even understand that communism was an economic disaster for Eastern Europe!

With regards to the rest of your post, you are mixing and twisting facts as they suit you. Any debate with you is futile.

I leave you with your hate towards Horthy and your love for communism.
Tout comprendre, c’est tout pardonner.

Futurist

Re: Was it a mistake for Miklos Horthy (the Hungarian regent) to seek a separate peace?

Post by Futurist » 25 Mar 2021, 22:09

Sid Guttridge wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 13:28
Hungary's problem that it had taken territory off two Allied countries, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia, which it would necessarily not retain in the event of Allied victory, and Romania which, because it was closer to the front, managed to defect to the Allies before Hungary ever had a realistic prospect of doing so. As the post-WWI treaties had satisfied its neighbours' demands, Hungary therefore survived without further territorial loss after WWII.

Cheers,

Sid.
Minor nitpick, but I believe that Hungary actually did lose a few additional villages near Bratislava to Czechoslovakia after the end of World War II.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 25 Mar 2021, 22:39

Hi Futurist,

Interesting. Do you have anymore?

Cheers,

Sid

Peter89

Post by Peter89 » 26 Mar 2021, 07:06

Sid Guttridge wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 22:39
Hi Futurist,

Interesting. Do you have anymore?

Cheers,

Sid
There were three villages, namely Oroszvár, Horvátjárfalu and Dunacsún. Never understood that one.
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

Peter89

Post by Peter89 » 26 Mar 2021, 07:13

DrG wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 22:00

I leave you with your hate towards Horthy and your love for communism.
Despite stating that I don't like communism, I do not hate Horthy, etc. multiple times over, I have to realize that you have a debate with your inner demons, and my comments are only good for triggers. I leave you too with your funny attempts of name calling.

Goodbye, comrade!
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 26 Mar 2021, 08:41

Hi Futurist and Peter89,

Thanks.

It might have been to push the Hungarians out of sight of Bratislava. It may also have been to compensate Czechoslovakia for some minor post-war territorial losses in Slovakia to Poland and the USSR.

Cheers,

Sid.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 30 Mar 2021, 01:49

I wouldn't call the loss of Subcarpathian Ruthenia "minor", though this was compensated by the fact that it was very likely a dirt-poor territory during this time (and still also right now).

lartiste

Post by lartiste » 02 Apr 2021, 12:37

According to wiki which is in my opinion correct:

It was an idea of the Czechoslovakia delegation at the Paris Peace Conference that they would need an extended defensive territory at the Bratislava bridgehead. They sought Dunacsún (Čunovo), Horvátjárfalu (Jarovce), Oroszvár (Rusovce), Rajka and Bezenye. The first three were transferred, creating a territory of 62 km².

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 02 Apr 2021, 16:17

Hi Futurist,

I said "Slovakia" not "Czechoslovakia".

Slovakia lost Goral-populated territory to Poland in the north. It also had a fairly consolidated Ruthene/Ukrainian minority in its north-east and lost a little bit of this when the USSR took Subcarpathian Ruthenia.

Cheers,

Sid.

Nautilus

Post by Nautilus » 23 May 2022, 15:20

Poot wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 23:31
The rehabilitation of such historical figures is not a Hungarian phenomenon only. For example in The Supreme Court of Slovenia, a European Union member on Italy’s eastern border, nullified the 1946 conviction of Leon Rupnik, a war criminal trialed in Yugoslavia in 1946. In some Romanian some towns, in 90s- 2000s named streets after Antonescu but they were shut down in time by Government which passed a law to criminalize these type of initiatives.
As of May 2022, according to Google Maps, in Romania there are:

9 streets named after Marshal Ion Antonescu
5 streets named after General Leonard Mociulschi
2 streets named after Admiral Horia Macellariu
1 street named after General Ion Dumitrache
1 street named after General Corneliu Calotescu
1 street named after General Emanoil Ionescu
1 street named after Professor Gheorghe Alexianu

As of the mid-1990s, 1st Romanian Army Corps (active 1995 to early 2000s) had been named after General Nicolae Macici :D

Return to “Minor Axis Nations”