Secrets of Hitler's Eagles Nest - The SUBMARINE ENGINE and the ELEVATOR

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
BEGAFILM

Post by BEGAFILM » 22 Apr 2021, 16:17

Hi guys,

I have a new video for you again.

Around 400,000 visitors visit the Kehlsteinhaus (Eagles Nest) annually, mostly on nice days, at an altitude of 1834 meters. Since the house was opened to the public in the early 50s, visitors can visit most of the rooms that are related to the gastronomy.
But there are also some rooms that are not open to the public, which we would like to show you in this documentary.

First of all, there are the technical operating rooms, the core of which is a powerful diesel engine from 1940. This engine is still fully functional today and ensures a reliable power supply in the event of a power failure for both the house and the elevator.
The large winch motor, which is housed in the roof of the house, transports the ever-increasing number of visitors to the Kehlsteinhaus, which is 124 meters higher.
Finally, join us on a breathtaking ride on the roof of the elevator car high into the interior of the house.

Please enjoy watching and stay safe.

Greets from Berchtesgaden,

BEGAFILM
BEGAFILM - History in Motion
Always on the hunt for new Material - If you have films on old formats/film rolls that you cant play - send them over. We will be happy to make the world see it once again.

Helly Angel

Re: Secrets of Hitler's Eagles Nest - The SUBMARINE ENGINE and the ELEVATOR

Post by Helly Angel » 23 Apr 2021, 07:34

Ohh I really loved the video! Thanks!!!

This is a postcard thet I bought in Bartko House with the cabin of the elevator, I don´t know if is modern or pre-1945.

A question, How long in time takes all the route of the elevator?

Thanks!

All the best,
Attachments
Cabina del Ascensor.jpg

CraigM

Post by CraigM » 24 Apr 2021, 05:15

Helly Angel wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 07:34
I don´t know if is modern or pre-1945.
It's not modern. It appears that the seats have been moved to the lower landing as shown in the attached pic. You can just see the third seat at the far right side. It's obvious that the seat cushions are not the original. In the photo you posted you can see individual cushions, one per person. In the modern photo each seat has a continuous cushion. Perhaps the metal frames are original. Note the cushions mounted on the elevator walls on the 2nd and 3rd photos. They're not apparent in the original photo either.
Helly Angel wrote:
23 Apr 2021, 07:34
A question, How long in time takes all the route of the elevator?
Now that's a really interesting question. I've never thought to time it. It's pretty quick though, and it needs to be. The delays and enormous queues on popular visiting days are due to the limit on the number of people that can fit in the elevator and the time that it takes to do a round trip. The winding mechanism has been replaced (perhaps more than once) and the faster it goes, the more people they can move.

Now here'a really fascinating fact: long-term readers of this thread might remember that there was mention a while back of an escape door from the elevator car and tiny escape elevator that runs in the same shaft as the main car. Apparently Hitler was frightened of being stuck in the elevator in the event of a power fail (lightning strike perhaps, given the height of the building and the winding motor) so this escape feature was included. Whether this is a true story or not, the fact is that the escape platform (it's more of a platform than a car) really does exist. I remember saying earlier that I didn't believe it but someone posted the photos! :o
Attachments
lower landing.jpg
elevator interior.jpg
elevator driver.jpg

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 24 Apr 2021, 15:19

Many thanks for this reminder of my visit to the Obersalzberg in 1998! When I went up to the Kehlsteinhaus, there was snow on the parking lot...and it was early June!!

Br. James

CPB

Post by CPB » 26 Apr 2021, 11:06

Excellent work as ever, Begafilm – thank you.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”