Armored German Soldiers of WW2?

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
ThatZenoGuy

Armored German Soldiers of WW2?

Post by ThatZenoGuy » 08 May 2021 12:06

Allegedly SN armor sets produced by the Soviets were sometimes captured and used in German units, additionally domestically produced armor sets were allegedly made for SS assault units in the war.

However I cannot find a single picture of a German wearing SN, yet alone the alleged German-Made armor sets.

Anybody got any pics? Sources? Information?

ThatZenoGuy

Re: Armored German Soldiers of WW2?

Post by ThatZenoGuy » 16 May 2021 12:57

Nothing so far? I just find it strange there's no pictures I can personally find. The SN wasn't a very common piece of equipment but it wasn't exactly the rarest either.

And the Germans loved grabbing every piece of equipment they could get their hands on, I fail to see why body armor would be any different.

Blorange

Post by Blorange » 16 May 2021 20:56

All that I've came across is that potentially the SS were issued WWI era breast plates, and perhaps captured Soviets ones at some point during the war like you say. Nothing on wartime production of German ones (or other Axis powers).

The Soviets did have multiple types of armoured breast plates produced in the interwar and WWII period, so there was plenty in circulation - however not enough to equip more than select units of course. Not that something being rare doesn't mean that it won't show up in photographs captured by the enemy.

Similarly I haven't seen other WWI factory produced armour of other types in service. I mean things like helmet addons, such as the heavy plates which could be attached to machine gunner's helmets, or armoured sniper face masks. Presumably that sort of thing was taken as trophies or melted down for scrap. Leading me to think that any armoured bibs of German manufacture at least would likely have been forgotten about in some warehouse during the inter war period at best (though who knows, maybe the Allied counsel overseeing the disarmament didn't care about that sort of thing).

My conclusion is that its likely on a few occasions that Soviet bibs fell into German hands, and could have been used. Though evidently not for a long period as there's a lack of photographic evidence that I'm aware of to prove that it happened. Its a concept which seems cool, so may have perpetuated in spite of any evidence to be fair.

ThatZenoGuy

Post by ThatZenoGuy » 20 May 2021 03:14

Blorange wrote:
16 May 2021 20:56
All that I've came across is that potentially the SS were issued WWI era breast plates, and perhaps captured Soviets ones at some point during the war like you say. Nothing on wartime production of German ones (or other Axis powers).

The Soviets did have multiple types of armoured breast plates produced in the interwar and WWII period, so there was plenty in circulation - however not enough to equip more than select units of course. Not that something being rare doesn't mean that it won't show up in photographs captured by the enemy.

Similarly I haven't seen other WWI factory produced armour of other types in service. I mean things like helmet addons, such as the heavy plates which could be attached to machine gunner's helmets, or armoured sniper face masks. Presumably that sort of thing was taken as trophies or melted down for scrap. Leading me to think that any armoured bibs of German manufacture at least would likely have been forgotten about in some warehouse during the inter war period at best (though who knows, maybe the Allied counsel overseeing the disarmament didn't care about that sort of thing).

My conclusion is that its likely on a few occasions that Soviet bibs fell into German hands, and could have been used. Though evidently not for a long period as there's a lack of photographic evidence that I'm aware of to prove that it happened. Its a concept which seems cool, so may have perpetuated in spite of any evidence to be fair.
Thank you for this information! Seems like wikipedia is faulty as usual.

Interesting that there might've been 'lobster tail plated' SS assaulters. Seems less ergonomic than the SN armor sets Russia made.

Blorange

Post by Blorange » 20 May 2021 12:14

I'd correct my statement that I haven't seen other WWI issue armour in circulation. I did see one photograph of Soviet troops wearing WWI issue breast plates in Leningrad I think. :)

To clarify - the WWI era German steel bibs in SS use seems to be something discussed repeatedly online. I just haven't seen any evidence. Again my main concern's just where they were stored during the interwar period. Did some Freikorps unit or the police have them? Were they just sitting in a warehouse waiting to be discovered? If so then how did the SS get a hold of them? Did some quartermaster find them and just send them out for issue, or did the SS happen upon them?

And if they did exist, just how many were there? Enough to equip a squad? A platoon? There's just all sorts of questions on how they'd end up in storage or use for 30 years in the interwar period, then find themselves serving on the Eastern Front.

Return to “Other Equipment”