Reichskanzlei Thread

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Whithaus

Re: Reichskanzlei Thread

Post by Whithaus » 20 May 2021, 00:03

I want to thank Wollolo and Palaisfan for their responses. The Red Salon/Troost study had been a puzzle to me, because photos show the two large windows opposite from each other and nothing on the floor plan seemed to match. But, as Palaisfan explained, one window was walled up when building the New RK. Now it makes sense.

Are there any photos of the room after the New Chancellery’s construction? I wonder what other changes were made.

palaisfan

Post by palaisfan » 24 May 2021, 18:12

Whithaus wrote:
20 May 2021, 00:03
I want to thank Wollolo and Palaisfan for their responses. The Red Salon/Troost study had been a puzzle to me, because photos show the two large windows opposite from each other and nothing on the floor plan seemed to match. But, as Palaisfan explained, one window was walled up when building the New RK. Now it makes sense.

Are there any photos of the room after the New Chancellery’s construction? I wonder what other changes were made.
Whithaus,

You are welcome. I don't recall seeing a photo quite like the equivalent of the May 1934 picture above. However, I have fashioned for you this clumsy splice of two well known LIFE- preview pictures from the big April 1939 birthday celebration. They actually show exactly what you are seeking, if with a somewhat filled up room. On the other hand, seeing the actual red walls that gave the Roter Saal its name is a plus. Compare to the b/w photo of 1934. Same new chandeliers but some things changed. It is still Hitler's main working study though, just not in the birthday week.

Look especially on the left side--that could be a door to the path you are trying to discern. Notice also how the former left south window is now covered by a tapestry. There is nothing but solid New Chancellery wall there now.

HTH,

- palaisfan
Red-Room-April-1939-Birthday-presents-Merged-pics.jpg
Last edited by palaisfan on 24 May 2021, 18:26, edited 2 times in total.

palaisfan

Post by palaisfan » 24 May 2021, 18:14

Here's a room and area - `A' - wondered about in turn. Anyone know what the large circled rectangle is in the west wing? Even text descriptions don't seem to mention it. For a long time thought it might be the Kantine / Cafe -- but it is not. That is actually on the cellar level under the `B'.

And this space continues up nearly to the roof but does not appear to be open at the top?

Unknown-large.jpg
Unknown-large.jpg (38.31 KiB) Viewed 3410 times

Whithaus

Post by Whithaus » 27 May 2021, 05:53

Thank you again, Palaisfan. Seeing the room in color certainly adds a new perspective.

As for the mysterious room ‘A’ on your floor plan, I think this might be a candidate. Notice the four windows (one just out of view on the left) and no openings on the wall to the right. The general proportions seem to match the plan also. It is labeled simply as an administrative meeting room, if a Google translation can be trusted.
Attachments
B634B4C7-3848-4ECB-A21E-E36AB138A102.jpeg

palaisfan

Post by palaisfan » 01 Jun 2021, 00:49

Whithaus wrote:
27 May 2021, 05:53
Thank you again, Palaisfan. Seeing the room in color certainly adds a new perspective.

As for the mysterious room ‘A’ on your floor plan, I think this might be a candidate. Notice the four windows (one just out of view on the left) and no openings on the wall to the right. The general proportions seem to match the plan also. It is labeled simply as an administrative meeting room, if a Google translation can be trusted.
Whithaus,

That shows a remarkable parallel to the space for sure. The only problem is the caption seems to say it is in the East wing? If that is reliable its the opposite end. If that is true, there however is a space that can fit in the east --- the bottom floor of the 1930 extension had its concierge, waiting room, police room all taken out by Speer and made into one hall it seems when the Ehrenhof bored through it. Maybe it goes there?

For the mystery room, the other thing is it seems to continue on the floor above, and maybe even the third. The only thing else have so far is this one. Its taken on Jan 10, 1939 when others were and seems associated with the opening. But have never seen it captioned. Just a preview picture of some kind.

What do you think?
file.jpg
file.jpg (25.71 KiB) Viewed 3200 times

Wollolo

Post by Wollolo » 04 Jul 2021, 14:30

that westwing room is really interesting too
here some floor pics i made from the book "Die Neue Reichskanzlei von Albert Speer" by Angela Schönberger
Attachments
westwingNRK.jpg

palaisfan

Post by palaisfan » 06 Jul 2021, 15:42

Wollolo wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 14:30
that westwing room is really interesting too
here some floor pics i made from the book "Die Neue Reichskanzlei von Albert Speer" by Angela Schönberger
Hello Wollolo,

Yes, you see the same thing saw. That room appears to go up through to nearly the roof (some kind of courtyard perhaps?), or the type or room is replicated on each level. Yet even in Schönberger and other writings haven't seen a text description of what it could be. That photo posted is taken the day of opening and appears the only possible match, but there is no evidence to cite. The one problem with courtyard is it appears the roof is solid there -no obvious skylight. Just kind of interesting, like so much else of the complex.

Your frame with the top floor on the right -- that part is some kind of sunken indentation in the roof, it actually becomes lower there. Best guess is it is some kind of veranda or promenade they could walk out onto. The area is so demolished in 1945 its hard to tell. Pre-war views from west and above are ambiguous and seem rare.

Speaking of Schönberger, for those interested, you don't often see it but a copy has appeared:

https://www.amazon.com/neue-Reichskanzl ... oks&sr=1-2

- palaisfan

Whithaus

Post by Whithaus » 08 Jul 2021, 05:29

The room is definitely only one story tall, but Palaisfan is right that similar rooms are repeated on the upper floors. The rooms above are smaller, however, with only three windows instead of four, according to the Schenberger floor plans.

It is quite a puzzle. The room in Palaisfan’s photo has rounded corners, which doesn’t seem to match the available floor plans. Of course, plans don’t always match actual construction.

Also, if you look closely, you can see four windows in the photo with a wall sconce between each window, AND another sconce in front of the first window on the far left side of the photo. That might suggest there is yet another window just behind or to the left of the camera. If so, the room would not match the floor plans at all.

If only people had been more careful about captioning the original photos …
Attachments
A6A362DF-F00C-47D3-AE7C-07B33657D0FE.jpeg

Wollolo

Post by Wollolo » 12 Aug 2021, 19:44

palaisfan wrote:
24 May 2021, 18:12
Whithaus wrote:
20 May 2021, 00:03

Whithaus,

You are welcome. I don't recall seeing a photo quite like the equivalent of the May 1934 picture above. However, I have fashioned for you this clumsy splice of two well known LIFE- preview pictures from the big April 1939 birthday celebration. They actually show exactly what you are seeking, if with a somewhat filled up room. On the other hand, seeing the actual red walls that gave the Roter Saal its name is a plus. Compare to the b/w photo of 1934. Same new chandeliers but some things changed. It is still Hitler's main working study though, just not in the birthday week.

Look especially on the left side--that could be a door to the path you are trying to discern. Notice also how the former left south window is now covered by a tapestry. There is nothing but solid New Chancellery wall there now.

HTH,

- palaisfan

Red-Room-April-1939-Birthday-presents-Merged-pics.jpg
btw, i found some nice high resolution pictures
https://g.co/arts/zqFR5ViwtiS58MfZ7
https://g.co/arts/bwE7XR8iVU74UzLb9
https://g.co/arts/DirJiJxoZdHLGVaf7

Wollolo

Post by Wollolo » 13 Aug 2021, 12:38

i made an map with the point of view of all for me available pictures from the officefloors on the different levels in the westwing
its nice to see the hallway right before the mistery rooms in the wing
ground level
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lvDCDd ... sp=sharing
1 floor
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10QBosT ... sp=sharing
2 floor
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ez0z6H ... sp=sharing
rooftop
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wD8IB1 ... sp=sharing

*NL*

Post by *NL* » 15 Aug 2021, 18:22

Super Wollolo ! Thank you for your effort, surely appriciated.

Fait Accompli?

Post by Fait Accompli? » 20 Sep 2021, 20:34

I took this top photo around 1996. It's the infamous mound along Vossstrasse that people often mistook for the remains of the Fuhrerbunker but was probably part of the RK remains. I believe that must be Vossstrasse in front of me, though it's not clear. Today the Mall of Berlin would be at my back.

Europe 90s_0040.jpeg

Anyhow, the mound is gone today. Or is it? There's a strange mound right in the middle of the parkplatz on Vossstrasse. Does anyone know what this mound is? Or why this parkplatz remains undeveloped so many years after the rest of Vossstrasse has been redeveloped?

IMG-0088.jpg

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 20 Sep 2021, 22:29

WOW! Where did all of these interior upper floors photos come from? Are they from a book that I've not seen yet? Wonderful stuff!!

Br. James

hsa601

Post by hsa601 » 21 Sep 2021, 18:27

Stumbled across this today - Interesting. https://youtu.be/Pj8q5RXXp1c

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 21 Sep 2021, 18:54

Many thanks, hsa601 -- a very interesting video! Thanks for sharing, and 'keep on stumbling!'

Br. James

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”