Research on grandpa's blade

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
LeChop

Research on grandpa's blade

Post by LeChop » 24 May 2021, 16:07

Hi, I'm sure some of you may be able to help me identify this blade.

I have found some similar blades on the internet but they all seem to differ from this one in some way or the other.

Story goes like this. My late grandfather was in the war and apparently they confiscated this knife off captured German troops. I'm not sure if it was at see or on land. I was to little to remember the details. The little I know is he was a captain for the British/South African navy not sure of the details can probably dig up more if it's worth looking into.

It looks very old and my grandfather died in the early 90s. my family remembers him carrying and using the knife after the war.
The blade to the right of the 1st image says.
Solingen Germany
rsz_img_20210524_120624.jpg
rsz_img_20210524_120559.jpg

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Re: Research on grandpa's blade

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 24 May 2021, 23:47

Ok, you asked for it.. Blade is modern made piece of crap fantasy junk, all over the market[lace TOTAL FAKE AND TOTAL FANTASY, and the story is crap pissassery nonsense,... Sorry for the brutal reply, but others will say the samer thing, abeit more gentlely

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 24 May 2021, 23:49

Think, why would a wartime German made anything say * Germany*??? cripes man... nice try dude.

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 25 May 2021, 07:59

I have a “Sieger” pre-war/ww2 can opener with “made in Germany” stamped on it, so yes you can find german 1930s-40s items with the “international” stamping.
Not commenting on the knife shown besides the “made in Germany”.

You are correct, as I have many pre war books printed in Germany in the 1930's with the *Printe4d in Germany* but Ive never seen a knife,weapon, uniform with such with such....in other words any military type equipment, just civilian goods. for export...

I see your point, but is it a military knife in the first place?
If a genuine relic I would think it’s meant for the general public. A sort of “I’m a believer/supporter” token meant to be “flashed” at the right occasions home and abroad.

Back to my tin opener. It has english and german on it (without an ö, but oe)!

Waleed
Last edited by Waleed Y. Majeed on 25 May 2021, 17:49, edited 2 times in total.

LeChop

Post by LeChop » 25 May 2021, 10:52

Mark in Cleveland, Tn. wrote:
24 May 2021, 23:47
Ok, you asked for it.. Blade is modern made piece of crap fantasy junk, all over the market[lace TOTAL FAKE AND TOTAL FANTASY, and the story is crap pissassery nonsense,... Sorry for the brutal reply, but others will say the samer thing, abeit more gentlely
Thought I asked politely as I don't know anything about it. Thank you for your time and opinion. You should have a lovely and blessed day.

As I stated, my reply will be harsh and downright nasty, but sometimes tough love is what it takes. If we sugar coated our replies and opinions, you would not take it as directed, sometimes straight out is the only way. Your knive is as stated by me and Hans, NOT TR in any way, so the story you were given was BS as well, the one you need to ask about the true where this came from is the one who gave you the story,

and we kind of find in these forums when a new membesr first post is along this, there are other agendas, like.. they want to sell, they want kudos on a relic they want to sell, they got buirned but are in denial, etc.. NOT sdaying you fall in these catagorys, but.......

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 25 May 2021, 11:34

Another internet search for "hitler taschenmesser" / "hitler pocket knife" etc. brings up photos like the photo in the
attachment...

Such "Nazi" pocket knives were already avaliable on many german flea markets in the late 1970s, and early 1980s.
The attached picture gives an impression on just some of these "collectors" pocket knives...

Collectors value, whatever you like to pay for such "memorabilia". :wink:
(Nowadays between 5,- to 10,- Euro, depending on the "quality")

Hans

P.S. Source for attached photo is: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... /index.php

EXCELLENT POST HANS 1906...................Wat too many want a be collectords fall for these crap fantasy pieces, and fall for the BS story as well,
Attachments
AH Taschenmesser 002.JPG
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 25 May 2021, 17:00

Who is editing postings here, wtf is this..?

You learn something new every day, strange, internet forums... :lol:

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 25 May 2021, 17:56

I have just edited my edited first post so as not to confuse the readers with what I wrote and what a moderator/host or whoever added to my post. AND I signed my post again as this had somehow vanished. I suggest others do the same as the “uncontrolled” editing might lead to some trouble in the future.

Waleed

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 25 May 2021, 18:30

Waleed, this is just about repro "Taschenmesser" , thats it!

"Someone" edited my post with a comment, for what ever... :lol:

Hans

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 25 May 2021, 21:18

Is someone editing our comments? I do know in some boards I have myself had a pop up saying I can edit someones elses thread and post and found it quite weird that someone else can edit someones elses post.. Same is happebing all over FaceBook. I log on and find I am an admin for various groups I never knew I was even a member,and the groups are legit local groups, and no, my account has not been hacked.

Linkagain

Post by Linkagain » 26 May 2021, 19:06

Ive see a picture of German POWS on D-Day eating US Army rations..at lest two have a a standard German Miltiary pocket knife whoch looks like the bottom knife in the 3rd attachment...No fancy engraving or anything like that

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 26 May 2021, 21:29

Eh, maybe a run of the mill pocket knife, but as a POW I think they would not be allowesd any knifes in any model, and since all shown are modern made fantasy junk, them using any would be impossible unless they could transport in time to the future and then baclk/Ive never seen one pic of any POW with a knife of any kind, but am open to being shown such pics and changing my reply

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 27 May 2021, 11:44

Hans1906 wrote:
25 May 2021, 17:00
Who is editing postings here, wtf is this..?
Hans1906 wrote:
25 May 2021, 18:30
"Someone" edited my post with a comment, for what ever... :lol:
Waleed Y. Majeed wrote:
25 May 2021, 17:56
I have just edited my edited first post so as not to confuse the readers with what I wrote and what a moderator/host or whoever added to my post. AND I signed my post again as this had somehow vanished. I suggest others do the same as the “uncontrolled” editing might lead to some trouble in the future.
It seems that instead of clicking the "reply" button in your and LeChop's posts (#4, #5, #6), Mark was clicking the "edit" button, leaving his replies inside your posts. Mark, please be more careful what you click on. And if it's necessary to leave a note inside a member's post (which is only done in special cases), do it in different colour or in bold letters, and always sign your name at the end of your text.
Mark in Cleveland, Tn. wrote:
25 May 2021, 21:18
Is someone editing our comments?
Yes - you :)

Cheers,
Ivan

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 29 May 2021, 15:16

Thanks Ivan,

I was not aware, that another user/member (not a moderator...) is able to edit a posting at all,
this raises completely new "possibilities", which very hopefully will not be abused in the future... 8-) :lol:
'It's Not a Bug, It's a Feature!"
No offense! :D

Hans

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 29 May 2021, 21:19

Wow!!! did not know I was causing issues, hmmm.Was using the tabs all wrong all this time

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”