How did Adolf Hitler, an Austrian, dark haired man convince the German people that the Nordic race was superior?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
George L Gregory

Re: How did Adolf Hitler, an Austrian, dark haired man convince the German people that the Nordic race was superior?

Post by George L Gregory » 24 May 2021, 18:35

ljadw wrote:
24 May 2021, 15:52
I would not call him a hypocrite, but a fantasist : he was dreaming about an aristocracy of blood ( to which he did not belong ) who in the far future,would rule Germany during centuries .
He would start it by selectively breeding humans .
Teddy Roosevelt said the same .And he was not the only US president going in that direction.
Himmler didn’t have the qualities he wanted others to have. Thus, he was a hypocrite. Most of the Nazis were cranks.

I highly doubt that what Roosevelt said was anything similar to Nazi eugenics.

George L Gregory

Re: How did Adolf Hitler, an Austrian, dark haired man convince the German people that the Nordic race was superior?

Post by George L Gregory » 24 May 2021, 18:42

People mocked Hitler and other Nazis for their lack of “Aryan” qualities.

Even some people closer to the Nazis weren’t quiet about the hypocrisy.
The examiners were well aware that the Reichsführer-SS was not exactly green-card material, with his small, pigeon-chested body, round face, sallow skin, dark hair, and receding chin. Indeed, one racial advisor noted with detachment after the war that Himmler was "an unassimilated half-breed and unfit for the SS." But very few people dared say such things to their leader's face. At a social event one evening, however, the wife of a high-ranking SS officer, Dr. Werner Best, broached the problem with Himmler. She observed that the Nazi party would instantly lose its entire leadership—"The Führer, you Herr Himmler, Dr. Goebbels . . ."—if the principles of racial selection were strictly applied. Himmler was not the least disturbed by this remark, however. He brushed off the criticism, replying that while he did not appear Nordic, he certainly possessed a Nordic brain.
Goebbels himself wrote in his diary in October 1937:
Discussed race policy with Dr. Gross. I reproached him for our flawed standards for making selections. According to them, practically every officer today would be dismissed.

Frischluft

Post by Frischluft » 24 May 2021, 20:57

On June 24, 1936, Goebbels criticised Nordicism in his diary,
The nonsense of race materialism, which does not look to attitude and mindset but to peroxide blond.
Der Unfug des Rasse-Materialismus, der nicht auf Haltung und Gesinnung sondern auf Wasserstoff-Blond schaut.

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 25 May 2021, 02:05

George L Gregory wrote:
24 May 2021, 18:35

FDR said this
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 25 May 2021, 02:14

"Nordic brain", that made me laugh.

ljadw

Post by ljadw » 25 May 2021, 08:36

George L Gregory wrote:
24 May 2021, 18:35
ljadw wrote:
24 May 2021, 15:52
I would not call him a hypocrite, but a fantasist : he was dreaming about an aristocracy of blood ( to which he did not belong ) who in the far future,would rule Germany during centuries .
He would start it by selectively breeding humans .
Teddy Roosevelt said the same .And he was not the only US president going in that direction.
Himmler didn’t have the qualities he wanted others to have. Thus, he was a hypocrite. Most of the Nazis were cranks.

Teddy Roosevelt ( who physically did not belong to the type of the Ubermensch ) said things as
I wish very much that the wrong people could be prevented entirely from breeding
Race suicide is fundamentally infinitely more important than any other question in this country
And in January 1913 he said in a letter to Charles Davenport things as
We have no business to permit the perpetuation of citizens of the wrong type
and
Our people refuse too apply to human beings such elementary knowledge as every successful farmer is obliged to apply to his own stock breeding .
The meaning of Teddy was that human beings should procreate as the farmer was / is doing with his animals : the good bull and the good cow should be allowed to procreate , the bad ones should be sterilized.
Hitler went farther : he killed them .
But no one said that Teddy was a hypocrite because physically he did not belong to the group with blond hair and blue eyes .

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 25 May 2021, 12:29

"If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle them with bull."
My thanks to OpanaPointer for the famous quote by W.C. Fields, this quote hits the nail on the head, perfect! :lol:

You made my day, thank you very much!

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

George L Gregory

Post by George L Gregory » 25 May 2021, 22:55

I wonder if Hitler were referring to himself when he said that people should be selected for leadership roles “not according to outward appearance, but by demonstrating inward ability”.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 26 May 2021, 20:27

It always make me smile when people pontificate that
Our people refuse too apply to human beings such elementary knowledge as every successful farmer is obliged to apply to his own stock breeding
and such like, then promptly advocate the absolute opposite of this 'elementary knowledge' which is that outbreeding is the way to obtain healthy stock. There is a reason why the term 'inbred' is rarely meant as a compliment!

The perennial bleating that the human species is going to the dogs through ill-breeding is, I suspect, fuelled by the firm belief of the middle class intellectuals who are doing the bleating that humanity would be better off if it consisted entirely of (insert colour appropriate to bleater), middle class intellectuals. This is almost certainly not so because if that was the case, evolution would have made it so. In reality nature generally takes care of this very well, because women are infinitely better at appropriate mate selection than US Presidents, German dictators and Eugenicists. Just as well, because if they weren't, humankind would have become extinct a very long time ago.

In that vein, have you ever noticed how some couples you wonder how they ever got together let alone stayed together long enough to have kids? Everyone told them don't do it, it's going to be a disaster - and it so often is - but the kids they produce are outstanding?

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 26 May 2021, 20:48

However - de meritum - George, I think the answer to your question is that Hitler was an orator of positively sinister ability and charisma. I had the chance in my yooff to speak to a number of folk who actually attended his rallies. What my interlocutors said had two very common threads. One was that they felt that in that huge auditorium it felt like he was speaking directly to them, which felt wonderful. So what did he say? I ask. No idea they reply, but it sounded great. The point is, I think, that Hitler had no need to present any rationale for anything he said. His audiences loved him, he loved them, alles gut. If he told them the sky was yellow, the grass was pink and cows knit woollen bootees, they would have gone along with it because to question it would have broken the wonderful love-fest spell.

For what it's worth.
Last edited by gebhk on 27 May 2021, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.

Frischluft

Post by Frischluft » 26 May 2021, 23:03

George L Gregory wrote:
25 May 2021, 22:55
I wonder if Hitler were referring to himself when he said that people should be selected for leadership roles “not according to outward appearance, but by demonstrating inward ability”.
It seems that a Nordic appearance was not important to him when choosing a secretary (e.g., Christa Schroeder) or assigning a political office. At least five of the seventeen government officials whom he appointed in his political testament had hazel or brown eyes, including the two highest officials: Dönitz, Goebbels, Bormann, Schörner, Greim.

Coming back to his hair colour: Judging from this colour photo by Walter Frentz and the following photo with a darker-haired girl, it was medium brown. It was not black or dark brown.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-new ... i-10133148

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 27 May 2021, 06:24

Although, to be fair, the intensity of colour in B&W and early colour photos can be deceptive.

john2

Post by john2 » 28 May 2021, 03:16

Now we know why Germany lost - the nazi leaders were of inferior race. Had the true aryans been in charge Germany would have won.

George L Gregory

Post by George L Gregory » 29 May 2021, 12:22

john2 wrote:
28 May 2021, 03:16
Now we know why Germany lost - the nazi leaders were of inferior race. Had the true aryans been in charge Germany would have won.
Well according to Albert Speer, Hitler remarked near the end of the war:
If the war is lost, the nation will also perish. This fate is inevitable. There is no necessity to take into consideration the basis which the people will need to continue even a most primitive existence. On the contrary, it will be better to destroy these things ourselves, because this nation will have proved to be the weaker one and the future will belong solely to the stronger eastern nation (Russia). Besides, those who will remain after the battle are only the inferior ones, for the good ones have all been killed.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » 29 May 2021, 12:57

Besides, those who will remain after the battle are only the inferior ones, for the good ones have all been killed.
Kinda flies in the face of the theory of natural selection, does it not, on the basis of which the whole concept is based?

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”