Last Soviet soldier to liberate Auschwitz dies

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Cantankerous

Last Soviet soldier to liberate Auschwitz dies

Post by Cantankerous » 07 Jun 2021, 21:28

For those curious about the remaining number of Allied soldiers who liberated Nazi concentration and death camps:
https://www.npr.org/2021/06/07/10039106 ... id-dushman

As I have said before, all the Red Army troops who liberated Auschwitz were clearly aghast at the sight of emaciated and dead Jews and Slavs at Auschwitz. The question is whether there are any Soviet troops alive today who liberated the death camps at Treblinka, Sobibor, and Chełmno.

wm

Re: Last Soviet soldier to liberate Auschwitz dies

Post by wm » 08 Jun 2021, 01:18

Why did they should have been aghast, the Soviet concentration camps and some Soviet territories where famine prevailed weren't any better.

The prisoners the German handed over to the Soviets were mostly the sick. The camp itself, thanks to the food brought by the gassed Jews lived rather well in the last months of its existence.
Prisoners transferred from Auschwitz to other camps loved to say they were ready to return there at any price, on all fours if necessary.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 08 Jun 2021, 15:08

Why did they should have been aghast, the Soviet concentration camps and some Soviet territories where famine prevailed weren't any better.
wm, with all due respect, but such a statement is not appropriate in this case, that goes too far.
Crimes and war crimes please do not belong on an international gold scale, a comparison is forbidden, and completely.

Every victim was one victim too many, wherever.

Thanks to Cantankerous for the link.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 08 Jun 2021, 18:30

"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 08 Jun 2021, 18:30

Hans1906 wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 15:08
wm, with all due respect, but such a statement is not appropriate in this case, that goes too far.
Crimes and war crimes please do not belong on an international gold scale, a comparison is forbidden, and completely.

Every victim was one victim too many, wherever.

Thanks to Cantankerous for the link.

Hans
Says who?
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 08 Jun 2021, 19:05

If you want to provoke me, just write me a private message, I will answer you....

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 08 Jun 2021, 20:21

Hans1906 wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 19:05
If you want to provoke me, just write me a private message, I will answer you....

Hans
Not provoking you telling you, you dont decide what can be compared

wm

Post by wm » 08 Jun 2021, 23:33

Hans1906 wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 15:08
Why?
Maybe I should have added that the soldiers like that one above looted, robbed, raped the Polish town of Auschwitz, and the county, and the entire region?
That the number of raped women is estimated at several thousand? And the number of murdered people is basically unknown even today.
That Soviet soldiers regularly visited the Soviet concentration camp Auschwitz to play with the women imprisoned there? And they certainly didn't play chess with them.

Of course, it wasn't as bad as in Germany or Hungary by any stretch of the imagination. A few thousand raped here and then there, and several thousand in Czechoslovakia.

Facts are the only things that count. Naive virtue signaling, myths, morality plays be damned.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 11 Jun 2021, 10:45

That Soviet soldiers regularly visited the Soviet concentration camp Auschwitz to play with the women imprisoned there? And they certainly didn't play chess with them.
wm, the russian troops "visited" the liberated Auschwitz KL to rape and abuse the surviving women, did I misunderstood something?
Or are you reffering to Auschwitz after the liberation under russian control?

I ask for more information, thank you.

Hans

wm

Post by wm » 13 Jun 2021, 09:10

The Soviets established their own camp (or rather camps) in the former KL Auschwitz. The camp was administered by the NKVD but a part of it was handed over to Polish communists and their own "NKVD."

Soviet soldiers avoided their own NKVD (for obvious reasons) but weren't afraid of Polish communists and Polish administration (that was true everywhere in Poland, that the Soviets treated the Poles dismissively, or even with disdain) so they usually raided the Polish Auschwitz.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”