paul lettow vorbeck

Discussions on all aspects of the German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions. Hosted by Chris Dale.
singletond

paul lettow vorbeck

Post by singletond » 16 Jul 2021, 16:09

There was a WWI East Africa event where the British thought they had surrounded Paul Lettow Vorbeck. During the night the British heard what they thought was heavy guns being readied for the repel the next mornings attack. In the morning the British found the encirclement empty except for a few men who had carted heavy steel plates arounds making the clanging noise the British heard.

Please could someone point me to a historical description of that event.

Dave

Cantankerous

Re: paul lettow vorbeck

Post by Cantankerous » 29 Jul 2021, 05:10

More info on this event is found at Wikipedia.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 29 Jul 2021, 08:22

Hi Cantankerous,

I had a quick look at your link and didn't find this incident mentioned. Could you be more specific?

Cheers,

Sid.

Peter89

Post by Peter89 » 10 Aug 2021, 11:32

singletond wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 16:09
There was a WWI East Africa event where the British thought they had surrounded Paul Lettow Vorbeck. During the night the British heard what they thought was heavy guns being readied for the repel the next mornings attack. In the morning the British found the encirclement empty except for a few men who had carted heavy steel plates arounds making the clanging noise the British heard.

Dave
Hello Dave,

it might worth to read his memoirs, also available in English (My Reminiscences of East Africa by Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck). If you need a pdf, drop me a message.
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

Tanzania

Post by Tanzania » 10 Aug 2021, 19:26

singletond wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 16:09
Dave
Hi Dave

Without further details of the time or location, no one can ever give you a specific answer to your question.
What is the source of your information?

Cheers Holger
“Day by day and almost minute by minute the past was brought up to date. . . . All History was a
palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary” – G. ORWELL 1984

Return to “German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions”