If the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact wasn't altered?

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
AiBosq

If the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact wasn't altered?

Post by AiBosq » 22 Jul 2021, 00:07

If the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact wasn't altered how would that change things? In the original pact the USSR got a much larger swath of Polish territory, including Warsaw. Since the Soviets waited two-weeks and used an excuse that they were protecting the ethnic Ukrainians and Belorussians of the area this gave them a cover. I'd imagine if the Germans never requested a change then it would be a lot harder for the UK and France to justify not declaring war on the USSR, no?

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Re: If the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact wasn't altered?

Post by OpanaPointer » 22 Jul 2021, 01:08

Declaring war on Germany AND the USSR would have been a lunatic move. England and France were far from ready for war. Seelowe saw old men with shotguns mustering up for that last ditch defense.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

AiBosq

Post by AiBosq » 22 Jul 2021, 01:28

OpanaPointer wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 01:08
Declaring war on Germany AND the USSR would have been a lunatic move. England and France were far from ready for war. Seelowe saw old men with shotguns mustering up for that last ditch defense.
Oh yeah, but I'm more interested in how it would have affected the narrative of the war? How would they be able to liberate Poland when the Germans barely even held a quarter of the territory?

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 22 Jul 2021, 02:23

Sorry, I don't follow you.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”