Is there any realistic way for France to quickly fall in World War I only for the Allies to still subsequently win?

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Futurist

Re: Is there any realistic way for France to quickly fall in World War I only for the Allies to still subsequently win?

Post by Futurist » 11 Nov 2021, 07:43

pugsville wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 06:56
The Only way I see a quick Entente win after a quick French exit is a near simultaneous exit of Austria Hungary.
Technically speaking, it doesn't have to be a quick Entente win. A long Entente win would work just as well here.

And if Austria-Hungary will quickly collapse at the same time that France does, then I would still expect Germany to be very capable of taking on Russia by itself--unless of course something will significantly change. And Germany might be able to lure Italy to its side by promising it huge territorial concessions at Austria-Hungary's expense--not to mention gains elsewhere, such as in Albania.

pugsville

Re: Is there any realistic way for France to quickly fall in World War I only for the Allies to still subsequently win?

Post by pugsville » 11 Nov 2021, 07:58

Futurist wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 07:43
pugsville wrote:
The Only way I see a quick Entente win after a quick French exit is a near simultaneous exit of Austria Hungary.
Technically speaking, it doesn't have to be a quick Entente win. A long Entente win would work just as well here.

And if Austria-Hungary will quickly collapse at the same time that France does, then I would still expect Germany to be very capable of taking on Russia by itself--unless of course something will significantly change. And Germany might be able to lure Italy to its side by promising it huge territorial concessions at Austria-Hungary's expense--not to mention gains elsewhere, such as in Albania.
A Quick AH fall, might well draw Italy into the Entente and prevent Turkey, Bulgaria from joining, Possible Entente access to Russia from the Black Sea,

Austria Hungary over commits against Serbia and gets encircled and destroyed by the Russians, and falls apart, Italy joins to get the spoils, but THEN France starts going very badly and fall apart. Bulgaria and Turkey stay neutral. The Entente can aid Russia,.

Futurist

Post by Futurist » 11 Nov 2021, 09:51

pugsville wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 07:58
Futurist wrote:
11 Nov 2021, 07:43
pugsville wrote:

A Quick AH fall, might well draw Italy into the Entente and prevent Turkey, Bulgaria from joining, Possible Entente access to Russia from the Black Sea,

Austria Hungary over commits against Serbia and gets encircled and destroyed by the Russians, and falls apart, Italy joins to get the spoils, but THEN France starts going very badly and fall apart. Bulgaria and Turkey stay neutral. The Entente can aid Russia,.
Interesting analysis. That actually makes sense. But this would probably require the fall of Vienna, no?

Do the other European countries actually decide to send their own troops to Russia? And couldn't France decide to fight on from North Africa in this scenario? It's not like its situation will look as hopeless as it looked in 1940 in real life, after all.

Return to “What if”