Grave Bridge

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Brady

Grave Bridge

Post by Brady » 22 Nov 2021, 01:05

Does anyone Know what the German Garrison at the Grave bridge consisted of in September of 44 ?

Cant seam to find any mention of How many (or Who) they were, or what there TOE was.

Brady

Re: Grave Bridge

Post by Brady » 22 Nov 2021, 18:53

I read through Bridge to Far, just now, and the fighting was brief to say the least, there was mention of two truck loads of troops coming up from the direction of Grave that were largely scared off, and the two Flack guns, one either end of the bridge, but again no mention of the German unit(s) involved.

Brady

Post by Brady » 27 Nov 2021, 20:47

They must of been some kind of rear area security troops, but I am still at a total loss to define them

Brady

Post by Brady » 27 Nov 2021, 21:08

What did these consist of TOE Wise?

Landesschützen-Bataillon der Luftwaffe

Formed Winter 43/44 in Holland with 5 companies. Renamed Luftwaffen-Festungs-Bataillon XXII on 10.44 in Holland (3 companies).

Tom Peters

Post by Tom Peters » 28 Nov 2021, 07:08

When locating German units in the Nijmegen area in September, a lot of the common sources have errors, but given the time and place, thats not surprising.

Mad Dog

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 28 Nov 2021, 08:19

This appears to be taken from Robert Kershaw's It Never Snows in September?

Heeres-Unteroffiziers-Schule Jülich mobilized 575 men under command of Major Diedrichsdorf.

Füsilier-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Bataillon 39. was a single battalion, not two as Kershaw shows. It was probably based at Düsseldorf.

I am not sure that the Landesschützen-Bataillon der Luftwaffe 6. was there? Luftwaffen-Festungs-Bataillon II, III, IV, X, XV, XVI, XVII, XXI (Landesschützen-Bataillon der Luftwaffe 4), and XXII (Landesschützen-Bataillon der Luftwaffe 5.) were all raised in Holland or Wehrkreis VI area. III was at Venlo and XV at Düsseldorf, while II was with KG Erdmann, so none of them seem like good candidates.

I do not know of Luftwaffe "Stomach and Ear" replacement battalions, but Flieger-Ersatz-Bataillon VI was at Krefeld, so may be what was meant.

I have no idea what a 143mm howitzer is, so I do not know what Kershaw was talking about. I suspect he meant 12.2cm sFH (r).

It looks like Landesschützen-Ausbildungs-Bataillon I./6. was based in Grave, so it seems like a good candidate. When mobilized in September it had five Kompanien and 1,250 men, and it eventually went to Division Nr. 190
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Cracking Hitler's Atlantic Wall
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Brady

Post by Brady » 28 Nov 2021, 18:19

Richard Anderson wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 08:19
This appears to be taken from Robert Kershaw's It Never Snows in September?

Heeres-Unteroffiziers-Schule Jülich mobilized 575 men under command of Major Diedrichsdorf.

Füsilier-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Bataillon 39. was a single battalion, not two as Kershaw shows. It was probably based at Düsseldorf.

I am not sure that the Landesschützen-Bataillon der Luftwaffe 6. was there? Luftwaffen-Festungs-Bataillon II, III, IV, X, XV, XVI, XVII, XXI (Landesschützen-Bataillon der Luftwaffe 4), and XXII (Landesschützen-Bataillon der Luftwaffe 5.) were all raised in Holland or Wehrkreis VI area. III was at Venlo and XV at Düsseldorf, while II was with KG Erdmann, so none of them seem like good candidates.

I do not know of Luftwaffe "Stomach and Ear" replacement battalions, but Flieger-Ersatz-Bataillon VI was at Krefeld, so may be what was meant.

I have no idea what a 143mm howitzer is, so I do not know what Kershaw was talking about. I suspect he meant 12.2cm sFH (r).

It looks like Landesschützen-Ausbildungs-Bataillon I./6. was based in Grave, so it seems like a good candidate. When mobilized in September it had five Kompanien and 1,250 men, and it eventually went to Division Nr. 190
Yes Kershaw.

143 mm, I agree

Landesschützen-Ausbildungs-Bataillon I./6. Great News TY

Presumably the AA guns at the bridge were operated by some elements from the LW Fortres battalions???

Is there a shortened way to express that is expectable ?

Landesschützen-Ausbildungs-Bataillon I./6.

I wonder what their TOE was like ?

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 28 Nov 2021, 18:30

Brady wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 18:19

Probably Ls.-Aus.-Btl. I./6.
A Stab of 2 O, 2 B, 3 U, and 13 M. Five companies of 4 O, 19 U, and 129 M.

http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

American Thunder: U.S. Army Tank Design, Development, and Doctrine in World War II
Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Brady

Post by Brady » 28 Nov 2021, 18:47

Richard Anderson wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 18:30
Brady wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 18:19

Probably Ls.-Aus.-Btl. I./6.
A Stab of 2 O, 2 B, 3 U, and 13 M. Five companies of 4 O, 19 U, and 129 M.

http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/
Again TY, Weapons allotments ? Presumably Second line kit?

This?:

AETIUS 1980

Post by AETIUS 1980 » 28 Nov 2021, 18:58

Even if the K.St.N are a good working support for periods of operational stability, the emergency movements carried out in September / October 1944 to compensate for the lack of troops on the western border of Germany and Holland make difficult to take them for certainty. In addition, the depots, taken for a long time for the benefit of the new forces set up in each of the Wehrkreis (divisions of the 29th wave for example) make the presence of such quantity of material illusory.
Regards

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 28 Nov 2021, 19:03

AETIUS 1980 wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 18:58
Even if the K.St.N are a good working support for periods of operational stability, the emergency movements carried out in September / October 1944 to compensate for the lack of troops on the western border of Germany and Holland make difficult to take them for certainty. In addition, the depots, taken for a long time for the benefit of the new forces set up in each of the Wehrkreis (divisions of the 29th wave for example) make the presence of such quantity of material illusory.
Regards
Indeed. The note that the battalion had c. 1,250 officers and men after mobilizing under the WALKÜRE order would imply well over 200 per company.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Brady

Post by Brady » 28 Nov 2021, 19:04

AETIUS 1980 wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 18:58
Regards
Ya i get that's Ideal, was probably far worse, probably captured equipment, perhaps ZvB 26 LMG's or MP 34's, French weapons maybe

Brady

Post by Brady » 28 Nov 2021, 19:09

Just so I am clear:

Landesschützen-Ausbildungs-Bataillon I./6. was part of the 406 th Division?

Is there a known Shield or Symbol for that Division?

Richard Anderson

Post by Richard Anderson » 28 Nov 2021, 20:07

Brady wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 19:09
Just so I am clear:

Probably, although it was later reorganized as the Füsilier-Bataillon of Division Nr. 190 (later 190. Infanterie-Division) when it was mobilized from Neuminster on 18 September.
It was not a division, it was a division staff organized specifically to command the Landesschützen in Wehrkreis VI and along the west bank of the Rhine in Wehrmachtbefehlshaber Niederlande. As such, it likely never had a recognized shield or symbol.
Richard C. Anderson Jr.

Hitler's Last Gamble
Artillery Hell

Brady

Post by Brady » 28 Nov 2021, 20:54

Richard Anderson wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 20:07
Brady wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 19:09
Just so I am clear:

Probably, although it was later reorganized as the Füsilier-Bataillon of Division Nr. 190 (later 190. Infanterie-Division) when it was mobilized from Neuminster on 18 September.
It was not a division, it was a division staff organized specifically to command the Landesschützen in Wehrkreis VI and along the west bank of the Rhine in Wehrmachtbefehlshaber Niederlande. As such, it likely never had a recognized shield or symbol.
WoW, on the 18th of September at the start of the attack they reorganized them.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”