Luftwaffe OOBs

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Der Rittmeister

Luftwaffe OOBs

Post by Der Rittmeister » 06 Dec 2021, 12:29

Hello, i am in the search for simple OOBs of the Luftwaffe during the war. Do anyone have any good links and sources?

Larry D.

Re: Luftwaffe OOBs

Post by Larry D. » 06 Dec 2021, 17:00

I've never seen a comprehensive collection of them showing the entire Luftwaffe on given dates. You'll have to do a search on Google and piece them together as best you can. Most of the ones you will find will be for a specific campaign on a specific Front. The Genst.d.Lw. produced one for every day of the war entitled Aufmarsch der fliegende Verbände, but only a few of these from 1944 survived the war. Also, A.I.3. and A.I.4/British Air Ministry produced periodic OBs for the entire Luftwaffe during most of the war, but these are based on Allied intelligence and were not complete or very accurate.

L.

kfbr392

Post by kfbr392 » 06 Dec 2021, 19:44

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 06 Dec 2021, 20:35

kfbr392 wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 19:44
why dont you start here:
https://www.asisbiz.com/Luftwaffe-Units.html
I intentionally omitted this asisbiz website because most of the information was stolen from the www.ww2.dk website without permission and in total disregard of international copyright laws.

L.

kfbr392

Post by kfbr392 » 06 Dec 2021, 20:54

Larry D. wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 20:35
I intentionally omitted this asisbiz website because most of the information was stolen from the www.ww2.dk website without permission and in total disregard of international copyright laws.
Some of the Flugzeugbestands- und Bewegungsmeldungen 1942-1944 you mean? I cannot speak to that. Not quite proprietary data, is it?
But there is sooooo much more additional data on asisbiz. And the webmaster is a super nice chap.

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 06 Dec 2021, 21:41

kfbr392 wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 20:54
Larry D. wrote:
Some of the Flugzeugbestands- und Bewegungsmeldungen 1942-1944 you mean? I cannot speak to that. Not quite proprietary data, is it?
But there is sooooo much more additional data on asisbiz. And the webmaster is a super nice chap.
Hi -

No acrimony or disrespect intended. I cannot comment on the webmaster as I know nothing about him other than he seems to be Australian and works for a security firm with headquarters in Manila/Philippines? My name is Henry L. deZeng IV (a.k.a. Larry deZeng, a.k.a. Henry deZeng), and if you google those names you will find a total of 45,530 hits, photos of me and 4 of my books, and listings of my Luftwaffe databases Luftwaffe Officer Career Summaries and Luftwaffe Airfields 1935-45 on ww2.dk. That will save me the time of typing everything here.

I have been researching and writing about the Luftwaffe since 1964 using primary documentation archived at BA-MA Freiburg, NARA WashDC and the British National Archives in Kew/London. So, myself and other researchers who have done the hard work, spent tens of thousands of dollars on travel expenses and put in countless hours get a little upset when someone comes along, skims off the top of hard work done by others with little or no personal investment of their own and in a few short years creates a knock-off that is installed on the internet that the uninitiated younger generation Ooh and Ahh over because they don't know the story behind it.

One further comment for Herr Rittmeister: this is not the premier website for Luftwaffe research. You should go to: http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/ . This is where the serious Luftwaffe researchers gather.

P.S. - here is just one of many comments about asisbiz that can be found using Google:
[ https://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2011/08/ ... xt-by.html ]. People who intentionally steal from others over-and-over again are criminals and deserve to have their hand lopped off and the stump cauterized with a hot iron.

L.

kfbr392

Post by kfbr392 » 07 Dec 2021, 11:05

Sir, personally, no offense taken. Although if repeatedly violating copyright on the internet were to be punished by the means described by you, I would have to use speech-to-text input to write these lines, not the keyboard.
Interesting to learn about your bio, thank you. You really have been at it for a long time.
A lot of it pre-internet.
Now it is a different world. A lot of the NARA stuff is now on a forum member's FTP, for free. There is Wikipedia, which gets better and better. And many other sites. People coming to the party late have it easy now to get massive info with no investment.
I bought hundreds of WW2 books since the eighties, and most of them are useless now and gathering dust because images and info are more easily available on the web. I am not really bitter about it, because the benefits of massive free info on the internet outweigh the downside - for me, but I am not an author and publisher as you are. This is my hobby and hobbies are by definition a non essential, purpose free occupation that costs money.
Anyway, thanks for raising awareness in me and other readers.
Regards

Der Rittmeister

Post by Der Rittmeister » 07 Dec 2021, 14:56

Larry D. wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 21:41
kfbr392 wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 20:54
Larry D. wrote:
One further comment for Herr Rittmeister: this is not the premier website for Luftwaffe research. You should go to: http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/ . This is where the serious Luftwaffe researchers gather.
L.
Many Thanks!

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 07 Dec 2021, 15:47

kfbr392 wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 11:05
Sir, personally, no offense taken. Although if repeatedly violating copyright on the internet were to be punished by the means described by you, I would have to use speech-to-text input to write these lines, not the keyboard.
Interesting to learn about your bio, thank you. You really have been at it for a long time.
A lot of it pre-internet.
Now it is a different world. A lot of the NARA stuff is now on a forum member's FTP, for free. There is Wikipedia, which gets better and better. And many other sites. People coming to the party late have it easy now to get massive info with no investment.
I bought hundreds of WW2 books since the eighties, and most of them are useless now and gathering dust because images and info are more easily available on the web. I am not really bitter about it, because the benefits of massive free info on the internet outweigh the downside - for me, but I am not an author and publisher as you are. This is my hobby and hobbies are by definition a non essential, purpose free occupation that costs money.
Anyway, thanks for raising awareness in me and other readers.
Regards
Nicely said, kfbr392, and you are absolutely correct on all points. The only difference between us is I'm "old school" and you appear to side with the younger and more modern users of the internet. So I think my rant was more of a lament, an expression of sorrow for the futility of archival research today for the reasons you pointed out in you post, quoted above. But my generation is rapidly fading away as the new digital world takes over.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Larry deZ.

NarcisaFultz

Post by NarcisaFultz » 08 Dec 2021, 04:18

kfbr392 wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 19:44
why dont you start here:
https://www.asisbiz.com/Luftwaffe-Units.htmlhappy mod
I totally agree with you!

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”