SS-Galizien (or ostfreiwillige) in occupied Krakau

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Orlov

SS-Galizien (or ostfreiwillige) in occupied Krakau

Post by Orlov » 17 Dec 2021, 11:18

Please
Although I have Roman Ponomarienko's books, I have not found any information about the structures of SS-Galizien in occupied Krakow. Can anyone suggest whether it was possible for a training center for Ukrainians (or any other elements) to be located in Krakau?
Or maybe some ostbataillonen or ostlegionen were stationed in Krakau?
PS: I certainly know about the SS-Sturmbrigade Dirlewanger backup company - but that's a different story

RG

Re: SS-Galizien (or ostfreiwillige) in occupied Krakau

Post by RG » 19 Dec 2021, 12:21

Orlov wrote:
17 Dec 2021, 11:18
Please
Although I have Roman Ponomarienko's books, I have not found any information about the structures of SS-Galizien in occupied Krakow. Can anyone suggest whether it was possible for a training center for Ukrainians (or any other elements) to be located in Krakau?
Or maybe some ostbataillonen or ostlegionen were stationed in Krakau?
PS: I certainly know about the SS-Sturmbrigade Dirlewanger backup company - but that's a different story
Ukrainian forces stationed at least in one of the old austrian forts: Prokocim no 50 http://www.fortyck.pl/fort_50_prokocim.htm

Askold

Post by Askold » 20 Dec 2021, 19:43

Hi Orlov,

Do you mind providing exact info from Roman's book? I don't belive I've come across this information either.

Orlov

Post by Orlov » 21 Dec 2021, 21:55

RG wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 12:21
Ukrainian forces stationed at least in one of the old austrian forts: Prokocim no 50 http://www.fortyck.pl/fort_50_prokocim.htm
Thanks, but please forgive me, but this is no information - which battalion or which unit Of Osttruppen or SS-Freiwilligen-Division Galizien stationed there.
Askold wrote:
20 Dec 2021, 19:43
Hi Orlov, Do you mind providing exact info from Roman's book? I don't belive I've come across this information either.
You must have misread my opinion - I consider the Ponomarienko's books valuable (I was scared of only one sentence in the chapter on Huta Pieniacka in "Галицькі добровольчі полки СС 1943-1944" - if not for this sentence he would have been a great historian for me, but he is very good). I am waiting for his full monograph, SS-Galizien, because I feel it will be better than the books by Logusz and Melnyk.
I thought I would find something in the his latest "Українські Юнкершафті" - but only and exhaustively about Posen-Treskow (now Owinsk near Poznan). I still do not know which Ukrainian unit was stationed /trained in Crakow.
PS: Recently, in the documents from the Polish Institute of National Remembrance on the case against a Ukrainian teacher, I found information about the SS-Galizien training in Krakow - but only generalities.

RG

Post by RG » 22 Dec 2021, 12:52

Orlov wrote:
21 Dec 2021, 21:55
RG wrote:
19 Dec 2021, 12:21
Thanks, but please forgive me, but this is no information - which battalion or which unit Of Osttruppen or SS-Freiwilligen-Division Galizien stationed there.

Sorry, I do not have any other knowledge on this matter. In your post you asked if it was possible there was a training center for Ukrainians. In this particular fort there could be a training center, since there were also sent for trainings soldiers of "goralenvolk ss" but for short, since they didn't cooperate with Ukrainins easily;)

Steve

Post by Steve » 22 Dec 2021, 15:28

Hello, some personnel from the Nachtigall and Roland battalions received training in Krakow and a small number were later incorporated into SS Galicia.

Orlov

Post by Orlov » 03 Jan 2022, 20:58

Thanks Steve!
But only single Ukrainian soldiers and officers from the units formed by the Abwehr in 1941 served in the SS-Freiwilligen-Division “Galizien”/14.Galizische SS-Freiwilligen-Division - I mean in the first time of subunit training in GG or Reich.
I would also like to know the place where these Ukrainians were stationed - which particular Cracovian fort served from their quarters.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”