German military term translation

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Tom from Cornwall

German military term translation

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 07 May 2021, 20:49

Hi, can anyone help with a translation of the German military term "Do-Geräten"?

The context is:
Nicht gerechnet sind die schweren Verluste, die der Feind durch Volltreffer von Flak, Pak und Do-Geräten in seine Landungsboote und in seine Ausladungen im Hafen von Porto Venere erlitt
All help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Tom

jwsleser

Re: German military term translation

Post by jwsleser » 07 May 2021, 21:33

Tom

I am sure a native speaker will chime in with something better. I read it as 'do it yourself' or 'home-made' devices. In this case, I assume landing obstacles and the like.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 07 May 2021, 21:53

Tom,

It's a collective term for rocket launchers:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzerwerfer

The name refers to General Dornberger Do-Gerät:

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Dornberger

Best regards
Armin
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 07 May 2021, 22:01

Ahh, thanks! I knew someone would have something better.
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 08 May 2021, 09:42

Jeff, Armin,

Thanks - that's really interesting and useful. Now I just need to find out what sort of rocket launchers they were talking about.

Regards

Tom

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 13 Dec 2021, 21:53

Hi,

I'd be grateful if anyone could help with another passage from 26 Panzer Division's KTB for 11 Sep 43 which is confusing my humble attempts to translate.
Kampfgruppe von Usedom setzt, infolge verspäteten Eintreffens des Div. Befehles, erst jetzt verst. 1./Pz.Gr.Rgt.9 zur Ablösung des Fallsch.Jg.Rgt.4 nach Doria in Marsch.
I'm thinking that it means something like:

"KG von Usedom, owing to the late arrival of the Division's orders, now [at 11.40] sets first the reinforced 1 Koy./Pz.Gr.Rgt.9 on the march to the area Doria to relieve Fallsch.Jg.Rgt.4."

That would make sense as the next sentence describes the rest of the I Battalion moving out to the area northwest of Lauria to rejoin Pz.Gr.Rgt.9.

Grateful for confirmation or corrections.

Regards

Tom

wwilson

Post by wwilson » 14 Dec 2021, 09:26

@Tom from Cornwall

Think your translation is essentially correct, but I would translate "erst jetzt" as "only now" and remove the "first" from your text.

Cheers

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 14 Dec 2021, 09:37

Thanks, that makes more sense.

Regards

Tom

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 14 Dec 2021, 21:53

And another query:
Beide Divisionen werden von anderen Divisionen demnächst abgelöst und stehen für den Einsatz im Osten zur Verfügung.
I make that (with a little help from GoogleTranslate!):
Both divisions will soon be replaced by other divisions and will be available for employment in the East.
Not sure about the use of "demnächst" for "soon" - why not use "bald"?

Also not sure about "abgelöst" meaning "replaced/relieved" - is that a derivative of "ablösung"?

Any help as always gratefully recieved.

Regards

Tom

wwilson

Post by wwilson » 15 Dec 2021, 11:49

"demnächst" can also mean "shortly", which works (IMO) a bit better in the sentence.

"ablösen" can mean "to supersede [or replace] sb/sth [by/with sb/sth]"

Above definitions taken from de.pons.com

Cheers

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 15 Dec 2021, 18:23

Hi,

Thanks for both translation and the pointer towards the de.pons.com site. Really useful.

Regards

Tom

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 26 Dec 2021, 19:25

Apologies, but I'd be grateful for another clarification of my attempted translation (again from 26 Panzer Division but moved forward now to 12 September 1943 when it got to the end of its withdrawal from Calabria and was assembling ready to be committed to the battle at Salerno:
Die Betr.Stofflage war gegen Ende des Rückzuges so angespannt, daẞ Sprengung der Selbstfahrlafetten der I./Pz.A.R.93 vom Korps bereits befohlen war und die der Masse der Kfz. der Division vorgesehen werden muẞte
I'm confused by the last section but initially make it something like this:
The fuel situation was so tense towards the end of the retreat, that Corps already ordered that the self-propelled guns of I./A.R.93 should be blown up and that the bulk of the motor vehicles of the division had to be provided.
Is that last bit saying that the bulk of the vehicles are to be provided to the Division or that the bulk of the division's vehicles are to be provided to Corps?

All advice gratefully received.

Regards

Tom

G, Y?

Post by G, Y? » 28 Dec 2021, 06:44

This is in what I think is Frankfort type. Can someone convert it to New Times Roman and then english?
German drawing of Bramit suppressor.jpeg

DirkAH

Post by DirkAH » 28 Dec 2021, 12:26

Tom from Cornwall wrote:
26 Dec 2021, 19:25
Apologies, but I'd be grateful for another clarification of my attempted translation (again from 26 Panzer Division but moved forward now to 12 September 1943 when it got to the end of its withdrawal from Calabria and was assembling ready to be committed to the battle at Salerno:
Die Betr.Stofflage war gegen Ende des Rückzuges so angespannt, daẞ Sprengung der Selbstfahrlafetten der I./Pz.A.R.93 vom Korps bereits befohlen war und die der Masse der Kfz. der Division vorgesehen werden muẞte
I'm confused by the last section but initially make it something like this:
The fuel situation was so tense towards the end of the retreat, that Corps already ordered that the self-propelled guns of I./A.R.93 should be blown up and that the bulk of the motor vehicles of the division had to be provided.
Is that last bit saying that the bulk of the vehicles are to be provided to the Division or that the bulk of the division's vehicles are to be provided to Corps?

All advice gratefully received.

Regards

Tom
I think "die" referes to the "Sprengung" and therefore means that the demolition of the SPGs had already been ordered and that the demolition of the other motorized vehicles of the division had to be scheduled/or the order to do so expected. But it's a horrible sentence. I doubt that any German teacher would have accepted it without some remarks. :lol:
Ciao

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 28 Dec 2021, 14:59

DirkAH wrote:
28 Dec 2021, 12:26
But it's a horrible sentence. I doubt that any German teacher would have accepted it without some remarks.
Hi,

Thank you very much for the response and for making me feel better about my translating struggle! I think I'm going to go with:
The fuel situation was so tense towards the end of the retreat, that Corps already ordered that the self-propelled guns of I./A.R.93 should be blown up and it was expected that the bulk of the motor vehicles of the division would also have to be destroyed.
Regards

Tom

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”