what were the panther tank flaw?

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Yoozername

Re: what were the panther tank flaw?

Post by Yoozername » 04 Jan 2022, 16:02

Michael Kenny wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 04:03
Yoozername wrote:
03 Jan 2022, 03:42

I don't follow how that relates to the topic of Panther tank flaws? And, certainly not the issue of the HE fuses.
I would have thought a link to the Units on the receiving end of this super-effective weapon would allow the claim:

By firing Sprenggranaten (high explosive shells) with and without fuzes set on delay into the woods opposite, as later related by a prisoner, three enemy infantry companies preparing to counterattack were completely decimated so that they couldn't initiate their attack.

to be validated. All the curious have to do is consult the relevant Allied documentation and the facts will be revealed.
I don't see how that relates to your posting the longer quote from Panzertruppen 2? And bolding tank kill claims?

So, you are inferring, somehow, that the graze fuses, or super-quick options were not effective? Or, that the prisoner is now a liar?

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 04 Jan 2022, 16:25

Yoozername wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 16:02

So, you are inferring, somehow, that the graze fuses, or super-quick options were not effective? Or, that the prisoner is now a liar?
I simply gave you enough detail to allow you to check if the claims were correct and possibly to validate the claims.The histrionic reply indicates this is not something that interests you in the slightest.

Yoozername

Post by Yoozername » 04 Jan 2022, 17:36

Michael Kenny wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 16:25
Yoozername wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 16:02

I simply gave you enough detail to allow you to check if the claims were correct and possibly to validate the claims.The histrionic reply indicates this is not something that interests you in the slightest.
Actually, since you seem to contradict some primary source I posted...then you should provide the supposed documents. At least, that is how I understand how things work at this history site.

I still do not understand why you bolded the tank claims? Is that just your reaction to any posting?

In any case, this account, which may be confusing SPs and Panzer IVs (see? I can use suppositions too), with panther tanks. In any case, a historic day for the CW forces in Italy.

https://terrycopp.com/2017/05/19/breach ... tler-line/

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 04 Jan 2022, 21:57

Yoozername wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 17:36

In any case, this account, which may be confusing SPs and Panzer IVs (see? I can use suppositions too), with panther tanks..............
You mean they did not see/notice the 4-5 Panthers that claimed to have 'completely decimated' them?

Claim:

firing Sprenggranaten (high explosive shells) with and without fuzes set on delay into the woods opposite, as later
related by a prisoner, three enemy infantry companies preparing to counterattack were completely decimated

Yoozername

Post by Yoozername » 05 Jan 2022, 17:46

Michael Kenny wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 21:57
Yoozername wrote:
04 Jan 2022, 17:36

In any case, this account, which may be confusing SPs and Panzer IVs (see? I can use suppositions too), with panther tanks..............
You mean they did not see/notice the 4-5 Panthers that claimed to have 'completely decimated' them?

Claim:

firing Sprenggranaten (high explosive shells) with and without fuzes set on delay into the woods opposite, as later
related by a prisoner, three enemy infantry companies preparing to counterattack were completely decimated
So, you have no source? For anything? I suppose if they were fired upon by panther turret emplacements, their HE didn't work either?

Trolling people by claiming they are histrionic, while you get off topic, not explaining why you are bolding quotes, etc. How much of a donor does one have to be to allow one to do these things?

I am just claiming that the Panther 7,5 cm Spgr worked with both SQ and delay (see my bolded post). I cut and used the paragraph it was in. I am responding to peasants post by some Reddit WOT type post. I am on topic. You, as usual, can not stay on topic. If you think it is 'another thread worthy point', maybe make another thread? You can there share your information, and not just your opinion.

And, getting back to the point, the Reddit post Peasant posted, the 'expert' makes the assumption that since 88mm Flak weapons had some issue with their HE fired at a higher velocity, then the Panther HE should/might have the same issue. No source for 88mm issue, of course. Lots of that going around.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 05 Jan 2022, 18:27

Yoozername wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 17:46

I suppose if they were fired upon by panther turret emplacements, their HE didn't work either?
I just wondered why the 'decimated' Infantry Unit failed to notice who was really doing the decimating. The Hitler Line was a well-fortified position and had lots of defensive measures in place to deal with attacking infantry but (it would appear) none were as effective as the 4 Panthers who claimed (for themselves) the Allied Infantry and tank casualties..

Yoozername

Post by Yoozername » 05 Jan 2022, 20:20

Michael Kenny wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 18:27
Yoozername wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 17:46

I suppose if they were fired upon by panther turret emplacements, their HE didn't work either?
I just wondered why the 'decimated' Infantry Unit failed to notice who was really doing the decimating. The Hitler Line was a well-fortified position and had lots of defensive measures in place to deal with attacking infantry but (it would appear) none were as effective as the 4 Panthers who claimed (for themselves) the Allied Infantry and tank casualties..

EHHHH!!!!! Sorry, but thanks for playing. If you read the quote, it is a prisoner that relates that information.

In any case, I have never heard of any of these AZ type fuses having issues as this Reddit expert describes? I have read of issues with US (75mm) fuses failing on delay. so much so that they were stored on SQ by crews and only fired this way.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 05 Jan 2022, 20:44

Yoozername wrote:
05 Jan 2022, 20:20
If you read the quote, it is a prisoner that relates that information.

Only Partially true. The POW is presumed to have been the source of the casualty report. The linking of those casualties to the Panthers was done by the Panther unit.

By firing Sprenggranaten (high explosive shells) with and without fuzes set on delay into the woods opposite, as later
related by a prisoner, three enemy infantry companies preparing to counterattack were completely decimated so that
they couldn't initiate their attack

Yoozername

Post by Yoozername » 07 Jan 2022, 19:07

Well, you are still mostly off-topic. In any case, looking forward to you sharing more information (primary sources) regarding the battle.

Richard Stone

Post by Richard Stone » 20 Jan 2022, 04:58

To aid the discussion I’ve attached a November 1944 US Army report about the Panther Tank vulnerability to the different US tank destroyer main armaments and several types of infantry weapons.

This document was printed in the December 1944 issue of the Tank Destroyer Newsletter.

Note the discussion about the front slope penetration on the 1st page's second paragraph and on Item G of the illustration.
Armor - TnkDstryInfoLettr-December1944-Panther-1.png
Armor - TnkDstryInfoLettr-December1944-Panther-2.png

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”