BAMA Updates?

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
Piet Duits

Re: BAMA Updates?

Post by Piet Duits » 09 Jan 2022, 23:41

Sean Oliver wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 04:47
While I certainly applaud BAMA's efforts, isn't the entire point of doing this to make these docs available to the public in an easily accessible form? Providing a monthly update of newly uploaded docs is hardly difficult or time consuming, regardless of who performs the scanning, and it helps those who are not necessarily entering search terms, but who browse for interesting items. I 'search' for specifics items every time I visit, which is usually not a problem, but I also want to browse through them, hoping to find things I hadn't considered searching for. Furthermore, entering search terms does not always succeed, since many of the subject descriptions which searching depends on are vague, brief, or misleading.
Sean,

Have you ever considered searching in the NARA files? Their descriptions are top quality.
Me, sarcastic? Me?
Sorry to say (again), but to me you sound so spoiled.

I know for a fact that employees of the Bundesarchiv also read these messages, so your job application is sent.

Tom Peters

Post by Tom Peters » 12 Jan 2022, 01:08

Speaking of BAMA files, I found that a fair number of RH2 files have been digitized. I guess I am late to the party. In particular, there are some Lage maps I have been downloading. However, all of these maps seem to be corrupted in some fashion. For example RH_2_KART_9730. When I view this in Preview, the app locks up if I zoom in. Photoshop will zoom in, but cannot save a new version. This is happening on all the maps I have downloaded, but only the maps - not other BAMA digitized files. Is anyone else having this trouble ?

thanks,

mad Dog

dterrier

Post by dterrier » 12 Jan 2022, 14:26

Hello Tom

With ACDsee i have now problems with the map you mentioned.

Rgds
Dirk T.

Tom Peters

Post by Tom Peters » 13 Jan 2022, 00:35

This is troubling, if multiple platforms and programs give the same problems.

thanks,

Mad Dog

askropp
Forum Staff

Post by askropp » 18 Jan 2022, 12:38

Is it only me, or is there a general problem with Invenio at the moment? When I click on "Digitalisat anzeigen", only a blank screen appears.
There are times in history when staying neutral means taking sides.

Adler Heinz

Post by Adler Heinz » 19 Jan 2022, 00:08

askropp wrote:
18 Jan 2022, 12:38
Is it only me, or is there a general problem with Invenio at the moment? When I click on "Digitalisat anzeigen", only a blank screen appears.
Hi, for me everything works fine, even selecting various categories (Pers 6, RH 1 Heeresleitung / Oberkommando des Heeres (OKH) - Oberbefehlshaber des Heeres etc.) and it is possible to download everything that is already digitized (in Digitalisat anzeigen). I've noticed that sometimes the site gives problems and you have to wait a few hours for everything to be working again.

askropp
Forum Staff

Post by askropp » 19 Jan 2022, 09:23

Very strange. It really works with another computer, but not on this one. The pop-up window is just blank. But why? It always worked well, and I didn't change anything in the configuration. :(

Piet Duits

Post by Piet Duits » 19 Jan 2022, 18:41

I asked the staff at Invenio if it was possible to add a blog to each update. This is their (translated) answer:

The data in invenio is usually updated three times a week. With each update, a huge amount of data is changed or added across all holdings of the Federal Archives.
I can well understand your wish for an overview of new data, but it is not possible for us to provide such an overview. I hope for your understanding.

Darius333

Post by Darius333 » 20 Jan 2022, 22:28

askropp wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 09:23
Very strange. It really works with another computer, but not on this one. The pop-up window is just blank. But why? It always worked well, and I didn't change anything in the configuration. :(
Have you tried various browsers? Firefox, Edge or Chrome? There was a time Firefox didn´t work fine with invenio.

Regards

Darius

askropp
Forum Staff

Post by askropp » 20 Jan 2022, 23:57

Well, it works on another computer with Firefox and it works on my computer with Chrome. Why it doesn't work any longer on my computer with Firefox (as it always did before), I really don't understand.

tzt4

Post by tzt4 » 21 Jan 2022, 04:41

It could be the browser software patches or a bad popup blocker setting on that computer.

Sean Oliver

Post by Sean Oliver » 21 Jan 2022, 07:36

Piet Duits wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 18:41
I asked the staff at Invenio if it was possible to add a blog to each update. This is their (translated) answer:

The data in invenio is usually updated three times a week. With each update, a huge amount of data is changed or added across all holdings of the Federal Archives.
I can well understand your wish for an overview of new data, but it is not possible for us to provide such an overview. I hope for your understanding.
Puzzling response. All they need to do is add the newly added file reference numbers to a very brief 'blog' entry one a month or so, like Calvin does. Maybe this is more of a hassle than I assumed. Oh well....

Eax-E

Post by Eax-E » 21 Jan 2022, 21:53

askropp wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 09:23
Hi,

I'm experiencing the same problem. It doesn't work with Chrome but still runs with Edge. It poped up without any visible system update on my computer.

askropp
Forum Staff

Post by askropp » 23 Jan 2022, 21:39

Now it works again with Firefox ...

Mori

Post by Mori » 20 Feb 2022, 11:51

Today's issue : you can navigate the tree or search for a file, but said file doesn't display. It just shows the error message "there is nothing here, go deeper". Is it me or do you guys have the same problem?

Return to “Archives”