Books published by members

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Helly Angel

Re: Books published by members

Post by Helly Angel » 08 Jan 2022, 17:54

Hello my dear Hans,

I have an original book of these and I bought this translation on Amazon (which is better presented than the original!), Actually the book is very interesting, I did not read the introduction in reference, but the book in general I liked it because it provides information on paramilitary life in the organization: its exercises, ways of marching, celebrations, etc. Actually, I saw him more as a historian researcher than as a political background.

I think the book is a good contribution to seriously explore the subject of BDM.

Cheers,

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 08 Jan 2022, 18:15

Helly,

no problem, I'm not arguing against a translation.
If you don't know the German language, you can just buy this translation.
For the collectors of historical literature but unfortunately less interesting, if at all.

To argue about the content, that makes no sense, but who am I telling. :)

Take care! :milwink:

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 12 Jan 2022, 20:05

Hi all,

my new book is out:

Sea of Blood: A Military History of the Partisan Movement in Yugoslavia 1941-45

The Second World War on the territory of the former Yugoslavia was marked by extraordinary complexity and base brutality. At least twelve factions fought against and worked with each other in what was at the same time a liberation war, a civil war, and a revolutionary war. The human cost was staggering: out of the pre-war population of roughly 15 million, more than one million died as a direct result of the conflict.

Sea of Blood follows the creation and rise of the communist-led People's Liberation Movement and more specifically its combat arm, colloquially known as the Partisans. Sea of Blood also deals heavily with Axis counterinsurgency efforts, particularly those carried out by armed formations of the Third Reich. Although the past decade has seen a steady rise in the number of academic publications in English dealing with various military aspects of the war, none of them offers comprehensive coverage of the entire conflict. The main deficiency of most scholarly works from outside of what was once Yugoslavia is the over-reliance on Axis/non- Yugoslav primary sources; Sea of Blood seeks to redress the imbalance by drawing heavily on both original Yugoslav documents and a vast array of secondary sources published in the region over the past 70 years. The text also cites unpublished materials from more than a dozen archival institutions including NARA, TNA, TsAMO, BA/MA, Military Archives in Belgrade, and other other relevant archives from around the world.

Sea of Blood will find a readership among all those interested in the Second World War in Yugoslavia, the history of guerrilla warfare, and the contemporary history of the Western Balkans. The main narrative is divided into seven chapters. Additional information is provided in the introduction (which comes together with a bibliographical survey) and three appendices, which contain a short treatise on human losses, as well as tables and organizational charts; the text is accompanied by 14 maps.

Details
Publisher: Helion and Company
General - Pages : 448 | Images : 14 maps
Paperback - Date of Publication : 12th January 2022 | Size : 245mm x 170mm | ISBN : 9781914059940 | Helion Book Code : HEL1375
https://www.helion.co.uk/military-histo ... a1ec31a93
Attachments
Sea of Blood_.jpg
Sea of Blood_.jpg (51.8 KiB) Viewed 3882 times

FransN

Post by FransN » 12 Jan 2022, 20:51

Zdravo Gaje! (Hello Gaj)

Čestitam vi novu knjigu! (congratulations with you new book!).
I immediately ordered it with Helion, given your excellent reputation on this forum on this topic. Really looking forward to read it!

Best regards,
Frans

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 13 Jan 2022, 11:07

FransN wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 20:51
Zdravo Gaje! (Hello Gaj)

Čestitam vi novu knjigu! (congratulations with you new book!).
I immediately ordered it with Helion, given your excellent reputation on this forum on this topic. Really looking forward to read it!

Best regards,
Frans
Hi FransN,

and thank you for the kind words; I hope you'll find the investment worthwhile.

Best,

Gaius

WorldwarBill

Post by WorldwarBill » 19 Jan 2022, 20:27

G. Trifkovic wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 20:05
Hi all,

my new book is out:

The Second World War on the territory of the former Yugoslavia was marked by extraordinary complexity and base brutality. At least twelve factions fought against and worked with each other in what was at the same time a liberation war, a civil war, and a revolutionary war. The human cost was staggering: out of the pre-war population of roughly 15 million, more than one million died as a direct result of the conflict.

Sea of Blood follows the creation and rise of the communist-led People's Liberation Movement and more specifically its combat arm, colloquially known as the Partisans. Sea of Blood also deals heavily with Axis counterinsurgency efforts, particularly those carried out by armed formations of the Third Reich. Although the past decade has seen a steady rise in the number of academic publications in English dealing with various military aspects of the war, none of them offers comprehensive coverage of the entire conflict. The main deficiency of most scholarly works from outside of what was once Yugoslavia is the over-reliance on Axis/non- Yugoslav primary sources; Sea of Blood seeks to redress the imbalance by drawing heavily on both original Yugoslav documents and a vast array of secondary sources published in the region over the past 70 years. The text also cites unpublished materials from more than a dozen archival institutions including NARA, TNA, TsAMO, BA/MA, Military Archives in Belgrade, and other other relevant archives from around the world.

Sea of Blood will find a readership among all those interested in the Second World War in Yugoslavia, the history of guerrilla warfare, and the contemporary history of the Western Balkans. The main narrative is divided into seven chapters. Additional information is provided in the introduction (which comes together with a bibliographical survey) and three appendices, which contain a short treatise on human losses, as well as tables and organizational charts; the text is accompanied by 14 maps.

Details
Paperback - Date of Publication : 12th January 2022 | Size : 245mm x 170mm | ISBN : 9781914059940 | Helion Book Code : HEL1375
I fully intend to buy this book as a reference for a future work of my own. It looks fascinating.

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 19 Jan 2022, 23:19

WorldwarBill wrote:
19 Jan 2022, 20:27
G. Trifkovic wrote:
Hi all,

my new book is out:

Details
I fully intend to buy this book as a reference for a future work of my own. It looks fascinating.
Thank you!

Best,

Gaius

BDM Girl

Post by BDM Girl » 20 Jan 2022, 14:45

Congratulations!

Panther Arthur

Re: Bloody Verrières - Volume I on sale now - Arthur W. Gullachsen

Post by Panther Arthur » 22 Jan 2022, 21:54

Hello Everyone,

RE: Bloody Verrières Volume I - on sale now

The new book is now out for sale:

https://www.amazon.com/Bloody-Verrieres ... 163624002X

Book abstract:

South of the Norman city of Caen, the twin features of the Verrières and Bourguebus ridges were key stepping stones for the British Second Army in late July 1944—taking them was crucial if it was to be successful in its attempt to break out of the Normandy bridgehead. To capture this vital ground, Allied forces would have to defeat arguably the strongest German armored formation in Normandy: the I. SS-Panzerkorps “Leibstandarte." The resulting battles of late July and early August 1944 saw powerful German defensive counterattacks south of Caen inflict tremendous casualties, regain lost ground and at times defeat Anglo-Canadian operations in detail.

Viewed by the German leadership as militarily critical, the majority of its armored assets were deployed to dominate this excellent tank country east of the Orne river. These defeats and the experience of meeting an enemy with near-equal resources exposed a flawed Anglo-Canadian offensive tactical doctrine that was overly dependent on the supremacy of its artillery forces. Furthermore, weaknesses in Allied tank technology inhibited their armored forces from fighting a decisive armored battle, forcing Anglo-Canadian infantry and artillery forces to further rely on First World War “Bite and Hold” tactics, massively supported by artillery. Confronted with the full force of the Panzerwaffe, Anglo-Canadian doctrine at times floundered. In response, the Royal Artillery and Royal Canadian Artillery units pummeled the German tankers and grenadiers, but despite their best efforts, ground could not be captured by concentrated artillery fire alone.

This is a detailed account of the success of I. SS-Panzerkorps' defensive operations, aimed at holding the Verrières-Bourgebus ridges in late July 1944.

Thank you for all your support,

Volume II is being written as we speak,

Arthur W. Gullachsen

Panther Arthur

Re: Books published by members - Bloody Verrières cover - Arthur W. Gullachsen

Post by Panther Arthur » 22 Jan 2022, 22:00

Hello Everyone

Forgot to include the cover photo:

COVER 2.jpg
COVER 2.jpg (38.75 KiB) Viewed 3759 times

Arthur W. Gullachsen

BDM Girl

Post by BDM Girl » 23 Jan 2022, 02:08

Congratulations!

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 28 Feb 2022, 17:48

G. Trifkovic wrote:
Hi all,

my new book is out:

Details
The first reviews for SEA OF BLOOD are in:

"Certainly one of the best new books of the year" (Bill Stone) - http://books.stonebooks.com/reviews/220227/

"I think 'awesome' is generally overused in modern (mainly American) parlance. Still, the research into this new military history of the Partisans by Gaj Trifkovic is genuinely awesome." (Balkandave) - http://balkandave.blogspot.com/2022/02/ ... nt-in.html

pim

Post by pim » 28 Feb 2022, 22:45

Congratulations - I have no doubt it is a well researched book and good to have. However it is extremely expensive for a soft-cover book which is disappointing. I hope it won't deter too many serious readers.

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 01 Mar 2022, 19:46

pim wrote:
28 Feb 2022, 22:45
Congratulations - I have no doubt it is a well researched book and good to have. However it is extremely expensive for a soft-cover book which is disappointing. I hope it won't deter too many serious readers.
Thanks, I hope so too.

Best,

G.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 30 May 2022, 00:26

There aren't too many people whose works I'd recommend without reading them first, but Mr G. Trifkovic is one of them ;) Most heartfelt congratulations on the new book! (Which I did have the pleasure to already start reading and it did meet - and exceed my high expectations.)

What I particularly like about Gaius' writings is that even if one's familiar with the subject he's covering, they will still learn something new and enjoy reading everything, since he approaches history with passion, patience, thoroughness and class. And those unfamiliar with the subject will be meticulously guided into it, eventually learning everything they needed to know and much, much more.

I've also seen that another book from my field of interest was released last year by Mr K. Kocjancic, another dear and highly-regarded fellow forum member, whom I also cheerfully congratulate on this occasion.

Sorry I'm late with my endorsements, guys, I keep forgetting to visit this forum section :oops:

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”