Gruppe Köslin = Einsatz-Division Köslin = Division Köslin

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 22 Jan 2022, 23:48

In the T311 R170_2 02_HG Weichsel Anlagen zum KTB 20.04.45 bis 29.04.45 I have identified a possible error in the records :-

In the archives https://www.archivportal-d.de/item/OXQE ... A4K4Z7VO33 the following is stated

Division Köslin

Regiment Karnkewitz (2 Alarm-, 5 Volkssturm-Bataillones)
Regiment Jatzinhen (3 Alarm-, 5 Volkssturm-Bataillones)

However in the HG Weichsel Anlagen zum KTB the following is recorded

Koslin.JPG
Koslin.JPG (26.63 KiB) Viewed 3368 times

Further change

Koslin 2.JPG

The Regiment Jatzinhen is also Regiment Jatzingen as well as Regiment Jatzmigen or there was 3 Officers with very similar surnames who
happened, in one way or another, to have commanded the Regiment!!!

Also

Regiment Komkwitz is not recorded in the archives and elsewhere yet Regiment Karnkewitz is.

Just an observation

Most respectfully

Germanicus

GregSingh

Re: Gruppe Köslin = Einsatz-Division Köslin = Division Köslin

Post by GregSingh » 23 Jan 2022, 04:29

These are names of villages in Pomerania, not far from Köslin (now Koszalin in Poland):

Jatzingen - now Jacinki.
Karnkewitz - now Karnieszewice.

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 23 Jan 2022, 05:46

GregSingh wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 04:29
These are names of villages in Pomerania, not far from Köslin (now Koszalin in Poland):

Jatzingen - now Jacinki.
Karnkewitz - now Karnieszewice.
Aha Thank you Greg for that. Would the other names be locations as well as they are not recorded in the official records.

Obviously the three different spellings for Jatzingen would be the original authors typo's yet what of Regiment Komkwitz?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Most respectfully

Mark

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 23 Jan 2022, 06:35

As far as I can tell neither Jatzmigen nor Komkwitz existed as a village name in Pomerania or a German surname. Both most likely misspelled.

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 23 Jan 2022, 06:37

GregSingh wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 06:35
As far as I can tell neither Jatzmigen nor Komkwitz existed as a village name in Pomerania or a German surname. Both most likely misspelled.
Thank you Greg

My respects

Mark

Rossano

Post by Rossano » 23 Jan 2022, 11:47

Hello Germanicus
I entered T311 R170 but I found no "_2 02_". Where (in which page/s) do I find the Div. Köslin ?
Apart that, I wonder whether there is an officer list regarding this division. Did You find any ?
Thanks, Rossano

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 23 Jan 2022, 13:33

Hello Rossano the actual file is

T-311 Roll 170: Army Group Vistula War Diary, Berlin Area Nov 44 - Mar 45

21 maps and charts of area northeast of Berlin, Volkssturm units in Pomerania, defense of Posen and Schneidermuehl, and situation map of Bad Freienwalde, 28 Nov 44 - 31 Jan 45.

The 2 02 is my error and was from a file I created. I copied the file name in error. I apologise.

I have not found an officers list.

The actual frames are 547. 551. 554. 558. 563. 565. 568. 571. 575. 576. 580. 583. 586. 590. 596.

This will show the various name changes and spellings of the Regiments.

I hope this helps Rossano?

0547.jpg
0551.jpg
0554.jpg
0558.jpg
0563.jpg
Last edited by Germanicus on 23 Jan 2022, 13:39, edited 3 times in total.

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 23 Jan 2022, 13:34

0565.jpg
0568.jpg
0571.jpg
0574.jpg
0576.jpg

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 23 Jan 2022, 13:35

0580.jpg
0583.jpg
0586.jpg
0590.jpg
0596.jpg

Rossano

Post by Rossano » 23 Jan 2022, 15:48

Thank You
From Tessin :
Division Köslin
* 20. 1. 1945 im WK II als „Gneisenau”-Einheit Einsatz-Div. Köslin zur Besetzung der
Pommernstellung unter dem Kommandeur der Wehrersatz-Inspektion Köslin mit (Gliede-
rung vom 8. 2. 1945):
Rgt. Karnkewitz (2 Alarm-, 5 Volkssturm-Btle.)
Rgt. Jatzingen (3 Alarm-, 2 Volkssturm-Btle.);
dazu SS-Waffen-Unterführerschule Lauenburg und Baupionier-Ers. und Ausb.Btl. 2 Schlawe.
Die FpÜ verzeichnet im Februar:
Rgt. l Div. Köslin I.-II.
Rgt. 2 Div. Köslin I.-II.
Art.Abt. Div. Köslin (Art.Abt. Grützner).
Die Division wurde noch im Februar in Div. Pommernland umbenannt.
Unterstellung:
1945 Febr. Korps Tettau 11. Armee Hgr. Weichsel Pommern
P.S.: If You find its/their officers list/s, kindly post it/them too

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 23 Jan 2022, 20:24

Rossano wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 15:48
Thank You
From Tessin :
Division Köslin
* 20. 1. 1945 im WK II als „Gneisenau”-Einheit Einsatz-Div. Köslin zur Besetzung der
Pommernstellung unter dem Kommandeur der Wehrersatz-Inspektion Köslin mit (Gliede-
rung vom 8. 2. 1945):
Rgt. Karnkewitz (2 Alarm-, 5 Volkssturm-Btle.)
Rgt. Jatzingen (3 Alarm-, 2 Volkssturm-Btle.);
dazu SS-Waffen-Unterführerschule Lauenburg und Baupionier-Ers. und Ausb.Btl. 2 Schlawe.
Die FpÜ verzeichnet im Februar:
Rgt. l Div. Köslin I.-II.
Rgt. 2 Div. Köslin I.-II.
Art.Abt. Div. Köslin (Art.Abt. Grützner).
Die Division wurde noch im Februar in Div. Pommernland umbenannt.
Unterstellung:
1945 Febr. Korps Tettau 11. Armee Hgr. Weichsel Pommern
P.S.: If You find its/their officers list/s, kindly post it/them too
Dear Rossano

Yes I have Tessin and I am aware of this transcript.

However I thank you for your interest into this Division and the post.

You will understand my interest into this Division re: Volkssturm.

I will definatly post post the officers list/s if I come across it.

Most respectfully

Mark

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 24 Jan 2022, 12:13

Dear Rossano

Division Köslin

Commanders

Oberst Sommer (20 Jan 1945 - ? Feb 1945)

https://www.axishistory.com/list-all-ca ... on-koeslin

Division Köslin, Korps Tettau, Waffen-SS

Herbert Kessler

https://www.tracesofwar.com/persons/135 ... erbert.htm

Division Bärwalde / Division Köslin / Division Pommernland

RH 26-1001

https://invenio.bundesarchiv.de/invenio/login.xhtml

Artillerie-Regiment Division Köslin

Koslin.JPG

https://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gl ... slin-R.htm

Bloody Streets: The Soviet Assault on Berlin, April 1945. - Stephan Hamilton

https://www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewtopi ... &start=225

The Oder Front 1945: Documents, Reports and Personal Accounts (The Oder Front 1945)

https://www.kinokuniya.co.jp/f/dsg-02-9781907677267

Division Köslin

The announcement of the Gneisenau Alert on January 20, 1945 initiated the thirty-third mobilization wave in the history of the Third Reich.
This time, however, the newly established units were not to march victoriously through Europe, as it was just a few years earlier, but to stop the
Red Army approaching from the east at all costs.

Already on the day of issuing by the command of the Second Military District of Pomerania-Mecklenburg (Wehrkreis II Pommern-Mecklemburg)
a directive ordering the commencement of a great evacuation operation, with the simultaneous throwing of all possible forces and means into
the fight, a tactical union was established in Koszalin called the Koszalin Backup Division (Einsatz-Division Köslin). This formation, created under
the supervision of the Köslin Reserve Forces Inspectorate from local mobilization resources: reservists, soldiers on vacation in the region, and young people, was subordinate to its superior - General Alexander von Zülow during the formation period.

Colonel Peter Sommer was appointed direct commander, and the relative combat readiness was on February 8. It was made up of two regimental groups, which were given names referring to the nearby towns: Karnieszewice (in German: Karnkewitz) and Jacinki (Jatzingen). Each regiment consisted of an improvised alarm battalion and a mass mobilization battalion - the Volkssturm. In addition, the 2nd spare sapper battalion stationed in Sławno (Baupionier-Ersatz und Ausblidugns-Battaillon 2 Schlawe) and the SS-Obersturmführer Herbert Kessler (Kampfgruppe Kessler) combat
group were included under the command of the staff. The latter, formed by the staff and students of the Waffen-SS school of non-commissioned officers in Lębork, had the greatest combat value. a spare sapper battalion stationed in Sławno (Baupionier-Ersatz und Ausblidugns-Battaillon 2 Schlawe) and the combat group of the SS-Obersturmführer Herbert Kessler (Kampfgruppe Kessler). The latter, formed by the staff and students of the Waffen-SS school of non-commissioned officers in Lębork, had the greatest combat value. a spare sapper battalion stationed in Sławno (Baupionier-Ersatz und Ausblidugns-Battaillon 2 Schlawe) and the combat group of the SS-Obersturmführer Herbert Kessler (Kampfgruppe Kessler). The latter, formed by the staff and students of the Waffen-SS school of non-commissioned officers in Lębork, had the greatest combat value.

The Köslin Einsatz-Division was struggling with shortages in terms of equipment and armament from the very beginning; After the end of World
War II, Major Friedrich Schlegtendal, who supervised the supply of the unit, stated that the grouping was only a substitute for a proper large
infantry unit, suffering from a lack of artillery, anti-tank combat means and communications.

In the first days of February, in Białogard, Colonel Sommer and his officers met for the first time. At that time, the entire formation was placed under the authority of General Hans von Tettau, whose Korpsgruppe von Tettau was stationed at that time in Central Pomerania
as part of the 11th SS-Obergruppenführer Felix Steiner, included in the ranks of the Vistula Army Group. The soldiers were quickly deployed to combat posts in the area of ​​Ostrowiec, Niemica and Domachów, and along the road connecting Sławno and Polanów. The most advanced defensive point, located between the villages of Kwasowo and Rzyszczewo, was manned by members of the Volkssturm. The southern wing of the Division reached the border of the Szczecinek County and was protected by a sister unit code-named Barwice (Bärwalde).

On February 13, the staff moved to Bobolice, and line units - to the vicinity of Grzmiąca. It was probably then that the Division was enriched by
the guns of the Grützner artillery squadron. Soon after, the name of the unit was changed to the Pomeranian Reserve Division (Einsatz-Division Pommerland). The organizational chart was also corrected.

At the end of the second month of 1945, Colonel Sommer's subordinates began operations on Lake Trzesiecko - the first losses were also recorded there. Due to the approach of the Soviet tanks to Bialy Bor and the occupation of the village of the Czech Republic by the enemy, the group was
cut off from the hinterland. Together with the other formations making up the Korpuśna von Tettau Group, the Division Köslin took part in
breaking out of the encirclement near Barwice, and then - in Niechorze.

The ransacked subunits, via Dziwnów and Kamień Pomorski, reached the Wolin Island, where the reconstruction of the unit began as the
3rd Marine-Infanterie-Division. As a result of the injuries suffered by Colonel Sommer, there was a change in the position of the commander -
the new one was Colonel von Witzleben, who was formally subordinated to the garrison commandant in Świnoujście. At the beginning of April,
the said officer was replaced by the former commander of the Kołobrzeg Fortress - Colonel Fritz Fullriede.

After the struggle over the Szczecin Bay, the Division was withdrawn to eastern Germany; some of the soldiers found themselves on the Isle of Usedom, others - in the area of ​​the city of Eberswalde. Finally, the formation marched to the vicinity of Neuruppin - eighty kilometers north-east
of Berlin, where on the day of the capitulation of the capital of the Third Reich, on May 2, 1945, it laid down its arms.

The activities of the Köslin Reserve-Division are a little-known episode in the wartime history of the region. The formation created on an ad hoc basis, practically from the beginning of its existence, was rather constantly withdrawing than resisting the Red Army. Like the other improvised
units, set up on the wave of mobilization announced after the Gneisenau Alert, it was not able to influence the fate of the war in Pomerania.

Regiments

Regiment Karnkewitz
Regiment Jatzingen

Battalions

Bataillon Jackeln
Bataillon Riedel
Volkssturm-Bataillon 7
Artillerie-Abteilung Grützner

Selected bibliography:

Duffy Christopher, Red Storm on the Reich. The Soviet march on Germany 1945, London 1991.

Grobelski Wojciech, Military history of Koszalin from the Middle Ages to 1945, [in:] Pomerania yesterday - today - tomorrow. Pomeranian cities
and towns, ed. Arleta Majewska, Stargard 2010.

Klasik Marian, the Kamień Land 65 years ago, http: //www.uzdrowisko .kamienpomorski.pl / news.php? Readmore = 1076 (access date: August
31, 2011).

Lindenblatt Helmut, Pommern 1945. Eines der letzten Kapitel in der Geschichte vom Untergant des Dritten Reiches, Würzburg 2008.

Nafziger George, Organizational History of The Named Divisions of the German Army 1942-1945, BMW 1991.

Nafziger George, The German Order of Battle. Infantry in World War II, Barnsley 2000.

Tessin Georg, Verbände und Truppen der Deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS im Zweiten Welkrieg 1939-1945, Volume II, Frankfurt am Main

Tessin Georg, Verbände und Truppen der Deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS im Zweiten Welkrieg 1939-1945, Volume XIV, Osnabrück 1980.

https://www.infolotnicze.pl/2012/07/30/ ... -koszalin/

There is 19 hits for Gruppe / Division Köslin in :-

SS- und Waffen-Unterführerschule Lauenburg Kampfgruppe Scheider

https://www.forum-der-wehrmacht.de/inde ... -scheider/

Rossano

Post by Rossano » 24 Jan 2022, 15:57

Well, my compliments........
But I hope I´ll also find the complete KRL (with all staff officers and all Rgt.- and Btl./Abt.Kdren.)
In Your list above (Lexikon d. Wehrm.) it seems that the division had an Art.Rgt.(Kdr. ?) with Grützner as Kdr. d. I.Abt., but then below You list no Art.Rgt. but an Art.Abt. Grützner only. Did the Rgt. really exhist or it exhisted an Abt. only ?
Best rgds.

Germanicus

Post by Germanicus » 25 Jan 2022, 06:38

Division Pommernland was renamed the Division Köslin in February 1945

Related Information Rossano

Das sogenannte Generalkommando Tettau, wurde am 4.2.1945 auf dem Kommandowege aus dem Div.Stab z.b.V. 604 (Nachr.Abt. 604) als „Korpsgruppe von Tettau“ für den Nordbereich der Pommernstellung in Belgard aufgestellt.

(Unterstellung: 1945: Febr. 11. Armee, HGr. Weichsel, Pommern, März 3.Pz.Armee, HGr. Weichsel, Pommern, Reste zum Verteidigungsbereich Swinemünde, s. Tessin - Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS im Zweiten Weltkrieg 1939-1945 – Band 14 - Die Landstreitkräfte Namensverbände - Die Luftstreitkräfte Fliegende Verbände – Flak, S. 237)

Erster Eintrag der Korpsgruppe von Tettau in der Gliederung der HGr. Weichsel erfolgte am 5.2.1945, unterstellt waren

- Gr. Bärwalde
- Gr. Köslin

(T 311 R 170 Gliederungen der HGr. Weichsel 24.1. – 22.2.1945)

Damit war die Korpsgruppe entweder 4.2. oder am 5.2.1945 als Führungsstab zwischen das X. SS-AK und das XVI. SS-AK eingeschoben worden

Am 6.2. und 7.2.1945 werden unter der Korpsgruppe von Tettau genannt:

- Gr. Bärwalde Gneisenau-Einheiten, Alarm-Einheiten und Volkssturm
- Gr. Köslin Gneisenau-Einheiten, Alarm-Einheiten und Volksturm

Am 8.2.1945 heißt es unter Korpsgruppe von Tettau:

- Eins.Div. Bärwalde mit
Rgt. Kopp (4 Alarm- und 3 Volkssturm-Bataillone)
Rgt. Wolff (2 Alarm- und 2 Volkssturm-Bataillone
Rgt. Bochmer (2 Alarm- und 2 Volkssturm-Bataillone)
Rgt. Freund (2 Alarm-Bataillone)
Rgt. Jauckel ( 1 Alarm- und 2 Volkssturm-Bataillone)
Rgt. Klotzsche (2 Alarm-Bataillone)
Sperrverband Fierbandt mit 3 Alarm-Bataillonen
Sperrverband Hellermann mit 2 Alarm-Bataillonen

- Eins.Div. Köslin mit
Rgt. Komkwitz (2 Alarm- und 5 Volkssturm-Bataillone)
Rgt. Jatzmigen (3 Alarm- und 2 Volkssturm-Bataillone)

(T 311 R 170 Gliederungen der HGr. Weichsel 24.1. – 22.2.1945, gleiche Eintragung für den 9.2.1945, die Namensbezeichnungen der beiden Regimenter der Eins.Div. Köslin ändern sich in den folgenden Gliederungsübersichten in „Rgt. Karnkewitz“ und „Rgt. Jatzingen“, diese erste
Angabe der Bezeichnungen war wohl ein Übertragungsfehler)

Interessant ist, dass in einer Gliederung vom 8.2.1945 die SS- und Waffen-Unterführerschule Lauenburg bei der Einsatz-Division Köslin genant
worden sein soll

Diese ebenfalls am 20.1.1945 im WK II als „Gneisenau“- Einheit aufgestellte Einsatz-Division Köslin war ebenso zur Besetzung der
Pommernstellung unter dem Kommandeur der Wehrersatz-Inspektion Köslin vorgesehen, wie z. B. die Division „Bärwalde“.

Am 8.2.1945 soll die Division nach vorliegenden Angaben Tessin - Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS im Zweiten Weltkrieg 1939-1945 – Band 14 - Die Landstreitkräfte Namensverbände - Die Luftstreitkräfte Fliegende Verbände – Flak, S. 134) aus folgenden Einheiten bestanden haben:

Rgt. Karnkewitz 2 Alarm-, 5 Volkssturmbataillone
Rgt. Jatzingen 3 Alarm-, 2 Volkssturmbataillone,
dazu SS-Waffen-Unterführerschule Lauenburg und
Baupionier-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Bataillon 2 Schlawe

(„ … Die Feldpostübersicht verzeichnet im Februar 1945:

Rgt. 1 Div. Köslin I. – II.
Rgt. 2 Div. Köslin I. – II.

Art.Abt. Div. Köslin (Art.Abt. Grützner) …

“ Unterstellung: Februar 1945 Korps Tettau, 11.Armee, HGr. Weichsel, Pommern, Tessin - Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS im Zweiten Weltkrieg 1939-1945 – Band 14 - Die Landstreitkräfte Namensverbände - Die Luftstreitkräfte Fliegende Verbände –
Flak, S. 134)

Nach den Angaben aus den Gliederungsübersichten aus dem KTB der HGr. Weichsel wird die SS- und Waffen-Unterführerschule Lauenburg aber erst am 10.2.1945 bei der Einsatz-Division Köslin genannt, nicht bereits schon ab dem 8.2.1945!

Am 10.2.1945 erfolgt die erste Nennung der Kampfgruppe Scheider in den Einsatzgliederungen der HGr. Weichsel, bei der Korpsgruppe von Tettau werden nach wie vor beide Einsatz-Divisionen geführt, nur bei der Division „Köslin“ wird die SS- und Waffen-Unterführerschule Lauenburg neu angeführt:

- Eins.Div. Bärwalde mit

Rgt. Wolff (3 Alarm- und 2 Volkssturm-Bataillone
Rgt. Böhmer (2 Alarm- und 2 Volkssturm-Bataillone)
Sperrverband Fierbandt mit 3 Alarm-Bataillonen und Versprengten
Rgt. Jaeckel (2 Alarm- und 2 Volkssturm-Bataillone)

- Eins.Div. Köslin mit

Rgt. Jatzingen (2 Alarm-Bataillone und Versprengte)
Rgt. Karnkewitz
SS-Waffen-Unterführer-Schule Lauenburg
1 Alarm-Bataillon Bau-Pionier-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Bataillon 2 (handschriftlich)
7 Volkssturm-Bataillone im Arbeitseinsatz

Diese angegebene Unterstellung unter die Division „Köslin“ wundert, da die Kampfgruppe an der Grenze zwischen Division „Märkisch Friedland“
und „Bärwalde“ im Einsatz ist (und in diesem Einsatzraum auch bis Anfang März 1945 bleibt). Für eine letztendliche Klärung fehlen aber bisher
die Angaben!

In der Zeit vom 11.2. – 18.2.1945 werden in den Gliederungsübersichten der HGr. Weichsel unter der Korpsgruppe von Tettau genannt:

- Eins.Div. Bärwalde mit

- Eins.Div. Köslin mit

Rgt. Karnkewitz (1 Alarm-Bataillon, Bau-Pi.E.u.E.Btl. 2)
SS-Waffen-Unterführerschule Lauenburg
7 Volkssturm-Bataillone (im Arbeitseinsatz)

Für den Zeitraum 19. – 22.2.1945 werden in den Gliederungsübersichten der HGr. Weichsel unter der Korpsgruppe von Tettau genannt:

- Eins.Div. Bärwalde mit
Fahnenjunker-Regiment 4
Jagdverband F

- Eins.Div. Köslin mit

Rgt. Karnkewitz (1 Alarm-Bataillon, Bau-Pi.E.u.E.Btl. 2)
SS-Waffen-Unterführerschule Lauenburg
7 Volkssturm-Bataillone (im Arbeitseinsatz)

(Tessin - Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen-SS im Zweiten Weltkrieg 1939-1945 – Band 14 - Die Landstreitkräfte Namensverbände - Die Luftstreitkräfte Fliegende Verbände – Flak, S. 134), bis zum 22.2.1945 war dies aber nicht erfolgt!

Loose translation

The so-called "Korpsgruppe von Tettau" inserted from 4. or 5.2.1945 joined to the east (i.e. left), which now took over the front between the
X. SS-AK and the XVI.SS-AK.

The so-called GeneralKommando Tettau, was established on 4.2.1945 on the command route from the Div.Stab z.b.V. 604 (Nachr.Abt. 604) as
"Korpsgruppe von Tettau" for the northern area of the Pomeranian position in Belgard.

First entry of the corps group of Tettau in the division of the HGr. Weichsel took place on

5.2.1945, were subordinated - Gr. Bärwalde - Gr. Köslin

On 6.2. and 7.2.1945 under the Korpsgruppe von Tettau are named:

- Gr. Bärwalde Gneisenau units, alarm units and Volkssturm -
- Gr. Köslin Gneisenau units, alarm units and Volksturm

(T 311 R 170 Divisions of HGr. Weichsel 24.1. – 22.2.1945, same entry for 9.2.1945, the names of the two regiments of the Eins.Div. Köslin
change in the following outline overviews in "Rgt. Karnkewitz" and "Rgt. Jatzingen", this first indication of the designations was probably a transmission error)

It is interesting that in a structure of 8.2.1945 the SS- und Waffen-Unterführerschule Lauenburg is said to have been named at the Einsatz-Division Köslin. This Einsatz-Division Köslin, also set up on 20.1.1945 in WK II as a "Gneisenau" unit, was also intended for the occupation of the Pomeranian position under the commander of the Wehrersatz-Inspektion Köslin, as e.B. the division "Bärwalde".

According to the information from the outline overviews from the KTB of the HGr. Weichsel, the SS- und Waffen-Unterführerschule Lauenburg is not mentioned until 10.2.1945 at the Einsatz-Division Köslin, not already from 8.2.1945!

On 10.2.1945 the first mention of the Kampfgruppe Scheider takes place in the operational divisions of the HGr. Weichsel, in the
Korpsgruppe von Tettau both Einsatz-Divisions are still led, only in the division "Köslin" the SS- und Waffen-Unterführerschule Lauenburg is
renamed: - Eins.Div. Bärwalde

This indicated subordination to the "Köslin" division is surprising, since the Kampfgruppe is in action on the border between Division "Märkisch Friedland" and "Bärwalde" (and remains in this area until the beginning of March 1945). For a final clarification, however, the information is
missing so far!

https://www.forum-der-wehrmacht.de/inde ... -scheider/

Division Pommernland

Published: 09 July 2011
Last Updated: 07 April 2012The Division Pommernland was formed in February 1945 by the redesignation of Division Köslin.
It was destroyed in the fighting in Pomerania in March.

Commanders
Oberst Sommer (Feb 1945 - 12 Mar 1945)

Area of operations
Pomerania (Feb 1945 - Mar 1945)

Order of battle
Regiment Pommernland 1
Regiment Pommernland 2
Regiment Pommernland 3

Sources used
Georg Tessin - Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht 1933-1945

https://www.axishistory.com/list-all-ca ... ommernland

Infanterie-Division Pommernland

Wehrkreis II (Stettin)

Die Infanterie-Division Pommernland war eine deutsche Infanterie-Division des Heeres im Zweiten Weltkrieg
mit Standort in Köslin im Wehrkreis II.

Divisionsgeschichte

Die Division entstand durch die Umbenennung der Infanterie-Division Köslin im Februar 1945. Sie war waffentechnisch schlecht ausgestattet,
besaß z. B. weder Artillerie noch Panzerabwehrwaffen.

Die Division musste sich nach einigen Kampfhandlungen u. a um Schievelbein und als Bestandteil der provisorischen Korpsgruppe von Tettau (gemeinsam mit der Infanterie-Division Bärwalde) in den Dievenow-Brückenkopf zurückziehen und für abziehende deutsche Verbände sichern.
Zu Beginn des Fronteinsatzes der Division war die Korpsgruppe von Tettau der 11. SS-Panzerarmee zugeordnet, ab März der 3. Panzerarmee.

Im März 1945 erfolgte die Verlegung in den Raum Rehberg. Aufgrund ihrer starken Dezimierung bei vorangegangenen Kämpfen mit der Roten
Armee wurde der Verband am 13. März 1945 bei Rehberg aufgelöst.

Gliederung

Regiment Pommernland 1
Regiment Pommernland 2
Regiment Pommernland 3
Artillerie-Regiment Pommernland

Kommandeur
Oberst Peter Sommer: Februar 1945

Generalleutnant Alexander von Zülow (1890–1948): Februar 1945 bis März 1945, ehemaliger Kommandeur der 83. Infanterie-Division

Oberst Henning von Witzleben (* 1905): März 1945

https://www.wikiwand.com/de/Infanterie- ... ommernland

Division Pommernland

This division was created Feb. 1945 by the renaming of Division Koeslin; on 12 March 1945 its remnants broke out of encirclement in
Pommerania into the Bridgehead at Dievnow, but it had been so badly cut up that it was disbanded shortly thereafter.

According to Tessin, it consisted of Pommern Regiments 1, 2, and 3. each regiment consisting of two battalions with two companies each.
During its short life, it was assigned to Korps Tettau, part of the 3rd Panzer Army of Army Group Vistula. According to General Erhard Raus,
Division Pommernland lacked a signal battalion and had no artillery or antitank weapons, other than Panzerfaust and Panzerschreck.
Raus seems to have had a low opinion of the division, stating that it was composed of Volkssturm, construction and surveying personnel,
and men from supply units of all 3 branches of the Wehrmacht. Some of the battalion even lacked commanders, and Raus had to snatch officers
in his area of operations who were on leave from the Kurland Bridgehead and assign them to lead these hastily formed units. Despite its severe shortcomings, the division fought surprisingly well and was able to knock out a number of Soviet tanks before being overwhelmed.

https://www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25043

Author: Stephan Hamilton mentions

Einsatz-Division ‘Köslin’
Einsatz-Division ‘Pommern’ / ‘Pommernland’

https://www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewtopi ... &start=225

https://d-nb.info/1069605964/04

Division Pommernland

The Division Pommernland was renamed the Köslin Division in February 1945. It consisted mainly of scattered people and had no entourage. The weapon equipment was greatly reduced, there was a lack of MG and heavy weapons as well as the majority of the means of communication.
The division defended on 4 March 1945 with little enemy activity in the line Klotzen - Borntin with simultaneous reconnaissance to the west.
The division command post was located in Damen. On that day, the division received the order from the Tettau Corps to push through to the
west with the combined corps groups.

On the morning of 5 March 1945, the division was ordered to break through the enemy fuses hard north of Schievelbein with the 15th
SS-Wafen-Grenadier Division (Latvian) and to fight its way through backwards and on the flanks on the Plathe - Naugard line at the Dievenow bridgehead under permanent shielding. The route of the Division Pommernland was to be Langen - Darerow - Röglin - Nemmin - nördl.
Schievelbein - Grössin - Leckow - Schönfeld - Rützenhagen - Stargordt - Gardin - Neu Labuhn - Woldenburg - Randekow.

On 5 March 1945, at 5.30 a.m., the Division crossed the Gut Langen exit point to break through the enemy safeguards north of Schievelbein.
The top of the division encountered Russian fuses in heavy snow drift around 7:00 a.m. west of Langen, which could be thrown.

The division commander was wounded here by his own fire. The Panzer Division Holstein, which marched next to the division, united east of Damerow with the Division and then marched together to the northern exit of Damerow. Here the Holstein division turned north,
the Division continued to march over Nemmin on the road along the railway towards the northern edge of Schievelbein. In front of Schievelbein,
the division received strong Pak and grenade launcher and volley launcher fire.

Due to the lack of heavy weapons, it was not possible to break the enemy resistance on the northern edge of Schievelbein. Therefore,
the division commander decided to bypass the site. From Nemmin we went via Beustrin and Balsdrey to Leckow. They now met the Panzer
Division Holstein again, which led to considerable stagnation on the Marschstraße.

On the night of 6 March, the Division encountered strong enemy resistance at Boltenhagen and Rützenhagen, whereupon the
Division turned to the village of Geiglitz. After the Panzer Division Holstein had formed a bridgehead over the Plahte-Köslin
road in the early morning hours of 6 March 1945, the Commanding Corps General ordered the unification of the troops in the forest area
south of Witzmitz. The view of the corps was to form a bridgehead over Rega at the Schmalentin dam with the Panzer Division Holstein in a
stroke of the hand and to continue the march from the hedgehog south of Witzmitz over the Schmalentin dam in the direction of the German bridgehead Wollin. After the Wollin bridgehead had been pushed in by the Red Army, the corps decided to break through towards the Baltic Sea
coast at Horst and then be evacuated by sea.

At 8 p.m., the Division began the march towards Witzmitz and reached the village in the early morning hours. For 7 March 1945,
the Division took over the securing of the Witzmitz road bridgehead with parts. The rest of the division rested in the Witznitz area.

After the Panzer Division Holstein had succeeded in taking the railway bridge north of Greifenberg in a stroke of the hand on 7 March 1945, the Division was to cross Rega. Through fierce counterattacks, however, the Red Army had succeeded in pushing in the bridgehead of the Panzer
Division Holstein.

As a result, the Division was ordered to advance over Natelfitz-Prust to form bridgeheads over Rega near Borntin and over the
railway bridge 1.5 km north of it. At 6 p.m., the Division marched on in Witzmitz. During the march, scattered parts of the 281st Infantry
Division, the 163rd Infantry Division, the Bärwalde Infantry Division and the 5th Jäger Division joined. On 8 March 1945, a regiment
of the Division succeeded in forming the ordered bridgeheads over Rega against stronger enemy resistance. However, after
the bridgehead at Greifenberg was lost on the left flank of the Division on 7 March 1945, this flank was no longer covered.

In Prust there were stalls due to the flooding parts of the Panzer Division Holstein.

The Division succeeded in rebuilding a makeshift flank protection and getting the marching movement flowing again. However,
the attempt to reach the Wendisch - Pribenow - Raduhn line had failed. The division command post was moved to Borntin at 11 a.m. Around 12 o'clock the bridgehead horst near Gumtow could be reached. To secure the south and southwest, parts of the division were used in Klätkow and Gumtow until the marching groups had passed through. The divisional status was brought forward to Horst. On March 9, 1945, the Division received the order to break along the coast to the west to the bridgehead Dievenov, as a transport by sea was not possible.

On 10 March, the Red Army attacked with tank support in the area of Karnitz - Gützelfitz - Gumtow, taking Gumtow. At noon, Russian troops managed to advance as far as Zedlin. The Divisionthen had to take back its HVAC. After the Panzer Division Holstein had set off
to the west, the Pomeranian had to ensure the outflow of the German units into the Dievenow bridgehead. By March 13, all parts of the division fought their way back to the Dievenov bridgehead, where they gathered at Dievenow-Ost. Subsequently, the division was moved to the Rehberg
area.

Due to the heavy losses in the retreat battles and the low combat value, the Division was dissolved here.

Division Pommernland

Gliederung:

Regiment Pommernland 1
Regiment Pommernland 2
Regiment Pommernland 3
Artillerie-Regiment Pommernland

https://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gl ... rnland.htm

Rossano

Post by Rossano » 26 Jan 2022, 10:45

Impressive work, thank You

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”