Did Joseph Stalin seek a separate peace with Adolf Hitler during WW2?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
George L Gregory

Did Joseph Stalin seek a separate peace with Adolf Hitler during WW2?

Post by George L Gregory » 16 Mar 2022, 13:55

I’ve just finished watching the following video:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WVtT-NIq1Zg

TIKhistory says that there are snippets of evidence that in 1944 Stalin wanted to seek a separate peace with Hitler.

Does anyone know anything about it?

Martin_from_Valhalla

Re: Did Joseph Stalin seek a separate peace with Adolf Hitler during WW2?

Post by Martin_from_Valhalla » 16 Mar 2022, 17:40

I haven't watched the video so far, will watch this later as I have already watched videos of that guy on Russian Revolution and Civil War in Russia. He still has too little followers on his channel, unfortunately.

I was also looking information for this question, though was interested in peace negotiations circa 1941-42 when Stalin was seeking for peace through Bolgarian ambassador Stamenov. Sudoplatov contacted him but Hitler fanatically believed in his victory and he had grounds for that in 1941, so he refused or didn't answer Soviet proposals.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 16 Mar 2022, 18:33

Peace feelers are out all the time for all nations in all wars. Read Goebbels to see the depth of delusion the Nazis had about getting a deal with the Western Allies. Hess even tried it in 1940. It is not such 'talks' that are significant but the weight certain factions give to such talks.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 16 Mar 2022, 18:38

Martin_from_Valhalla wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 17:40
He still has too little followers on his channel, unfortunately.
Might have something to do with the way he is obsessed with being right' and the inordinate amount of screen time spent denigrating anyone who criticises his Nazi = Commies fantasy .

Martin_from_Valhalla

Post by Martin_from_Valhalla » 16 Mar 2022, 19:06

Thanks for your comment. I just saw the video and knew his face, I watched some of his lectures on Russian Civil War more than a year ago. My English is lame, so I dropped watching his videos.

George L Gregory

Post by George L Gregory » 20 Mar 2022, 18:19

Michael Kenny wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 18:38
Martin_from_Valhalla wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 17:40
He still has too little followers on his channel, unfortunately.
Might have something to do with the way he is obsessed with being right' and the inordinate amount of screen time spent denigrating anyone who criticises his Nazi = Commies fantasy .
Yeah, he doesn’t have a clue about politics and makes up a lot of nonsense about the Nazis and their political beliefs, but I find a lot of his videos about operations to be quite useful.

George L Gregory

Post by George L Gregory » 20 Mar 2022, 18:21

Michael Kenny wrote:
16 Mar 2022, 18:33
Peace feelers are out all the time for all nations in all wars. Read Goebbels to see the depth of delusion the Nazis had about getting a deal with the Western Allies. Hess even tried it in 1940. It is not such 'talks' that are significant but the weight certain factions give to such talks.
Why would Stalin or any prominent Soviet want to get a peace offer with Hitler and the Nazis when in 1944 it was clear to pretty much everyone that the Nazis were going to lose the war?

steve248

Post by steve248 » 05 Dec 2022, 17:04

I don't believe Stalin was interested in a peace settlement with Germany in 1944. As G L G mentions above, Soviet armies were winning the war on the eastern front and already knew they would win.
Stalin's concerns were would the western Allies seek a separate peace with Germany. Stop fighting in the west and allow Germany to continue fighting in the east. Stalin had his doubts that the western Allies would keep to unconditional surrender even though both Churchill and Roosevelt kept him fully informed of their rebuffs to German peace feelers. It was only Hitler's death that brought about German acceptance of unconditional surrender.
Some of this correspondence can be found in the research that created "Himmler's Diary 1945" by Stephen Tyas and Peter Witte (still available on amazon and others), fully documented and sourced.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”