Ernst Heinkel and Slave Labour

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
richcarrick

Ernst Heinkel and Slave Labour

Post by richcarrick » 13 Apr 2022, 01:08

Question for the hive mind..

in the course of my own research, I have been trying to ascertain the level of culpability that Ernst Heinkel had personally for the implementation of slave labour in his factories. After 1 April 1943, when Milch basically shunted him aside and the SS became more heavily involved in the company affairs, I guess that he had even fewer opportunities to be involved in decisions like this. As a fellow researcher has pointed out to me, the introduction of concentration camp labour into Heinkel aircraft production began at Oranienburg in 1942 and all that Heinkel provided was aviation industrial expertise. He did not live anywhere near Oranienburg and did not mix with the SS, and his own dealings were at the Gauleiter level. However, possibly some of the key Oranienburg directors and definitely all of the plant management undoubtedly lived in and near Oranienburg and inevitably mixed socially with the SS contingents based in the area. There were major SS depot and administrative facilities set up in or relocated to Oranienburg, but this was a local decision and nothing to do with Ernst Heinkel providing his nameplate.

Has anyone ever seen any photos of him with SS personnel, of any rank? Are there any documents which prove his culpability in any way? His autobiography doesn't even mention the fact that he was shunted aside in 1943 nor does it mention slave labour...

Thanks
Rich

Hans1906
Banned

Re: Ernst Heinkel and Slave Labour

Post by Hans1906 » 13 Apr 2022, 15:30

Hi Rich,

a german online search for the combination "heinkel zwangsarbeit" brings out tons of information...

But unfortunately that is not an issue for me, here is just one of the many references:
Der Einsatz von Häftlingen und Zwangsarbeitern im Ernst-Heinkel-Konzern
https://www.kurt-und-herma-roemer-stift ... l-konzern/

Please also note the film documentations, some of which is available online, of course, as always, almost exclusively in the german language.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

richcarrick

Post by richcarrick » 13 Apr 2022, 20:27

thank you Hans! I will enjoy looking at that

Peter89

Post by Peter89 » 14 Apr 2022, 07:50

richcarrick wrote:
13 Apr 2022, 01:08
Question for the hive mind..

in the course of my own research, I have been trying to ascertain the level of culpability that Ernst Heinkel had personally for the implementation of slave labour in his factories. After 1 April 1943, when Milch basically shunted him aside and the SS became more heavily involved in the company affairs, I guess that he had even fewer opportunities to be involved in decisions like this. As a fellow researcher has pointed out to me, the introduction of concentration camp labour into Heinkel aircraft production began at Oranienburg in 1942 and all that Heinkel provided was aviation industrial expertise. He did not live anywhere near Oranienburg and did not mix with the SS, and his own dealings were at the Gauleiter level. However, possibly some of the key Oranienburg directors and definitely all of the plant management undoubtedly lived in and near Oranienburg and inevitably mixed socially with the SS contingents based in the area. There were major SS depot and administrative facilities set up in or relocated to Oranienburg, but this was a local decision and nothing to do with Ernst Heinkel providing his nameplate.

Has anyone ever seen any photos of him with SS personnel, of any rank? Are there any documents which prove his culpability in any way? His autobiography doesn't even mention the fact that he was shunted aside in 1943 nor does it mention slave labour...

Thanks
Rich
Hello Rich, the manpower situation was such that no aircraft producer could refuse to work with POWs; not that the company CEOs gave any thought of the welfare of them. This is in stark contrast with the German employees' benefits.

There is a short but relatively good summary in Daniel Uziel's Arming the Luftwaffe which also has a picture of Heinkel with a NSDAP party pin.
"Everything remained theory and hypothesis. On paper, in his plans, in his head, he juggled with Geschwaders and Divisions, while in reality there were really only makeshift squadrons at his disposal."

richcarrick

Post by richcarrick » 14 Apr 2022, 10:22

thanks Peter...

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”