Unable to Establish Contact With the Bundesarchiv

Discussions on archives and similar issues. Hosted by Jeff Leach.
Mori

Re: Unable to Establish Contact With the Bundesarchiv

Post by Mori » 18 Apr 2022, 11:21

smetanin albert wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 10:10
Hello,
This suggests that you have not encountered the sophisticated German bureaucracy, because. You got SSO rolls for free.
Access to RS files in Berlin is strictly restricted.
You order a case, but you will not receive it in its entirety.
Sometimes you have to wait a very long time.
Archive employees independently determine the number of copied documents (5-6 sheets).
In the near future - restrictions on RS files will not be removed!
My experience is right the opposite. Freiburg, Koblenz or Berlin archives, like any archives, are just libraries. You order a document and you receive it. Most of the time, you can make a copy with you own device.

Restrictions for WW2 documents are now extremely uncommon.
You got SSO rolls for free.(...)
One personal file in the archive costs about 120 euros
And 100+ of them are worth zero, since available for free on John Calvin or wwiidigitalarchives.org.

Just focusing on WW2 documents, I also got 5000+ Army rolls for free, and I also share them for free. Russian, Canadian, Czech also share tens of thousands of files for free. Since 2020, Bundesarchiv scans and shares everything for free. Now NARA does the same. These include a lot of personal files.

The trend is global and steady. Your SSO will eventually be there for free, like the rest.

Jeff Leach
Host - Archive section

Post by Jeff Leach » 18 Apr 2022, 13:45

Does this mean I will get back all the money I spent on NARA material?

smetanin albert

Post by smetanin albert » 18 Apr 2022, 14:06

What SSO rolls did you buy?
All your rolls were bought by me and 5-6 other people who were donated by one stupid "clown" ...
I know that over the past 2.5 years no one has bought more than one roll (SSO A3343), except for individual personal cases. I keep records of all rolls bought in the USA, with the exception of isolated cases.
I helped many researchers until (in February 2022) they blocked PayPal (and all the money I earned) for the sake of "Ridna Ukraine".
I ordered more than 30 rolls in the USA a long time ago and I'm patiently waiting...
Some did not wait for their rolls and passed away.
God created the Internet, but devil created Darknet.

Mori

Post by Mori » 18 Apr 2022, 15:06

smetanin albert wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 14:06
What SSO rolls did you buy?
All your rolls were bought by me and 5-6 other people who were donated by one stupid "clown" ...
I know that over the past 2.5 years no one has bought more than one roll (SSO A3343), except for individual personal cases. I keep records of all rolls bought in the USA, with the exception of isolated cases.
I helped many researchers until (in February 2022) they blocked PayPal (and all the money I earned) for the sake of "Ridna Ukraine".
I ordered more than 30 rolls in the USA a long time ago and I'm patiently waiting...
Some did not wait for their rolls and passed away.
We had this conversation before and I am not sure what you want to say, although it's clear your are still bitter about 100+ SSO rolls being posted on free-to-access sites.

It's common knowledge no one bought rolls from the US for the past 2.5 years because NARA closed down. What's the breaking news?

You did not "help" researchers if that was against payment. You got into the business of *selling* documents.

smetanin albert

Post by smetanin albert » 21 Apr 2022, 09:46

Hello Mori,

I asked a simple question.
How many rolls of this series(RS/SSO/SSEM A3343) did you buy in Berlin or NARA?
I know the exact answer - you didn't buy more than one roll!!!
The old price was over 600 euros (for a small roll).

I ordered in Berlin and Freiburg (in 2021-22) about 500 personal files and a few rolls in Prague. (Prague is generally a tough system, where they can give out 3-4 boxes in one run).
You will probably imagine that all documents are issued free of charge in Berlin.

Sir,
you are deeply mistaken and misleading others.
In Berlin, the RS series documents are copied by archive workers (in limited quantities and at double the price).
I'm not talking about the prices in Berlin for parking, housing, food (in May everything will be twice as expensive).
This is not Thailand or Turkey ...
Everything has a price and consequences. A person who has paid 5,000-10,000 euros will not put files on the Internet for free access.

Mori

Post by Mori » 21 Apr 2022, 10:10

smetanin albert wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 09:46
I asked a simple question.
How many rolls of this series(RS/SSO/SSEM A3343) did you buy in Berlin or NARA?
I know the exact answer - you didn't buy more than one roll!!!
Well, you both tell question and answer. Looks like you don't need my contribution...

I was never interested in research on personalities, and I don't share you troublesome obsession with SS officiers. However, I did get tons of documents from various archives in the world, going there in person and spending weeks doing copies. I wonder whether you ever made such trip.
Everything has a price and consequences. A person who has paid 5,000-10,000 euros will not put files on the Internet for free access.
Facts prove you wrong, obviously. How can there be 1000s of rolls made access-free, unless people who originally paid for them shared without asking for compensation? Many people think that time and money spent on getting documents cannot be recovered (= it's a sunk cost). Many just don't care. Or are willing to share for the greater good.

Only a minority of researchers have your attitude, imagining they sit on a pile of gold of something. Not that I am blaming you, just explaining why you so fiercely refuse to believe that your coveted SSO will end up shared for free like everything else.
I'm not talking about the prices in Berlin for parking, housing, food (in May everything will be twice as expensive).
It's not that expensive.
Oh maybe I'm biaised, I should mention I have my own flat in Berlin.

smetanin albert

Post by smetanin albert » 21 Apr 2022, 10:30

I lived in Germany in the area of Magdeburg (as a child).
I went to Berlin for the last time (approximately) in 1992, when there was a train to Berlin.

I am now ordering copies through old friends (in Germany).
But the economic situation is deteriorating and, perhaps, orders will stop from May 2022.

About SSO.
These documents (by the way, through my fault) went to a "very sick person."
I naively hoped that he would not pass them on to anyone.
I made a mistake.
It won't happen again!

Mori

Post by Mori » 21 Apr 2022, 15:12

smetanin albert wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 10:30
About SSO.
These documents (by the way, through my fault) went to a "very sick person."
I naively hoped that he would not pass them on to anyone.
I made a mistake.
It won't happen again!
At least through you. Other people are in the business of circulating SSO...

smetanin albert

Post by smetanin albert » 21 Apr 2022, 18:50

time will tell

Acrimony45

Post by Acrimony45 » 23 Apr 2022, 02:17

Hi everyone,

So after a year and a half, I was finally able to make contact with the Bundesarchiv in Lichterfelde...they said that they could send me the forms I was requesting and sent me the official request forms.
Thank you all so much for your help/assistance.

Does anyone here have any prior experiences in filling out the Benutzungsantrage from the Bundesarchiv? Or the official order form from Selke GmbH (the company they outsource the copying to)? (I know this is the wrong channel to be asking this question, but a private message from anyone who is able to help me in this regard would be most appreciated!)

Piet Duits

Post by Piet Duits » 01 Nov 2023, 11:11

hahahaha, just reading this, funny as hell:
Oh maybe I'm biaised, I should mention I have my own flat in Berlin.

Georg_S
Forum Staff

Post by Georg_S » 13 Nov 2023, 20:56

Hello

About RS-files ( RuSHA files) yes they are restricted, but I gained right to see them , after filling about 5 different forms. But I cant see the original, only microfilm. You are not allowed to download them but you can print them (600dpi) in various quality. I hate when I get an Officer in black uniform with a dark background 😞

I will for the fourth time this year go to Berlin in the end of November. If you planing to go there I recommend Hotel Morgenland on the same street as Barch Lichterfelde about 300 meters away.

Best regards
Georg
"Information not shared, is lost"

Personal Blog - http://wennallebruderschweigen.blogspot.com/
Support AHF - app.php/support
My Project - www.führerliste.com

Return to “Archives”