German mega defense

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
Destroyer500

Re: German mega defense

Post by Destroyer500 » 19 May 2022, 19:04

Huszar666 wrote:
18 May 2022, 18:33
The Maginot Line failed because the French planned on connecting their forts with Belgium and because they messed up hard in the Ardennes.The Germans just bypased the line and didnt really fight the defenders there.In some cases that i found of them attacking Maginot they easily "won" but i say "won" because at that point the French army had left the forts almost empty and moved its armies elsewhere so the Germans mostly walked through them.
This is not correct. The line was held till the armistice (and in a few cases even after that) and at no point was it "abandoned".
I reality, the Germans were able to penetrate the line in at least two points, despite the French holding it with the intended garrison.

The Great Powers figured out how to penetrate fixed defences back in 1918, every last one of the forts or fortification lines in WW2 was defeated by determined assault. Probably Sevastopol held out the longest, but even that was only possible because the Germans had better things to do between December 1941 and June 1942 than to assault the line.

Eben Emael fell in how many HOURS again? How long did the Norwegian coastal forts last? Mannerheim Line? Metaxas Line? El Alemain position? Or the fabled Ostwall?

Not counting rare exceptions (Árpád Line, Sevastopol, Mannerheim Line, maybe the Westwall) the time every last fortification line bought for the defenders could be measured in days, maybe in a couple of weeks - if and when the attacker arrived at the line at the end of his logistics line.

In contrast to Germany the Western Allies had a HUGE pile of old WW1 superheavy artillery, building bunkers EVERYWHERE that can survive 12"++++ shells would bankrupt you faster than building the Z-Plan ships in two years...
The texts bellow are not written by me and they answer the "weak maginot" theme.They are replies to question

{Did the germans attack maginot directly ?}
[They did, on small isolated forts only (and after penetration through the border, in area where they could come from behind like around Sedan). I think that you don’t understand the Maginot line concept. It was not just forts. Those forts were multilayered and were supposed to be supported by rear artillery positions and interwinned infantry divisions. Not a single major position/fort felt from frontal assault. As for the poor building, well, the Schoenenbourg fort had to be treated with 160 Stuka bombs, 50 x 420 mm shells and 30x 280 mm shells). In most assaults, bare one, germans had to use heavy support (one example above, i can multiply them). You can also ask the Italians if the forst were of poor conception….]

This talks about the withdrawing of troops

[You left out one important fact about the attack on Saarbrucken. When the French set up a line along the Somme and Aisne rivers a general withdrawal was issued at the western end of the fortifications at Montmedy and Marville. Then the 3rd Army issued orders for the timing of the successive withdrawal of the other sectors including interval troops and fortress crews which was completed by June. 15th. Tiny skeleton crews remained in place to give the illusion of a strong defense to allow the withdrawal.

At that point only La Ferte’ had fallen from the Maginot Line proper and it took three German infantry divisions three days of hard fighting to knock the single petit ouvrage out. By June. 12 when the Germans started seriously zeroing in on the rest of the Maginot Line during Operation Tiger and Bear the bulk of the interval troops had been removed and redeployed to shore up the Weygand Line.

Other fortresses of the Maginot Line extension neighboring La Ferte were completely abandoned because they risked being cut off completely. German success in breaching sections of the Maginot Line didn't begin until AFTER the interval troops were removed and the line was essentially isolated. The Maginot Line was heavily dependent on regular infantry and artillery from the field army holding the intervals between the fortresses and countering any breakthroughs.

Probably the biggest myth about the Maginot Line was that it was intended to fight in complete isolation. It wasn't. The interval troops were essential to its defense. Even still the Germans failed to take a single gros ouvrage by force. And contrary to your post the did attack the artillery blocks. They attacked the gros ouvrages at Schoenenbourg, Hochwald. Between June 14th to June 24 Hochwald and Schoenenbourg fired over 15,000 and 13,000 rounds respectively at German targets and in support of neighboring forts.

All the gros ouvrages held out against the heaviest of German fire and repelled attacks by infantry until the armistice took effect. Read Blitzkrieg In The West Then And Now by Jean Paul Pallud it goes into great detail into German attacks on the Maginot Line.]

Now on the Belgian fort

[While 1,200 soldiers were authorized to be at the fort on any given day, only 650 were there, with an additional 233 troops six km away at the time of the German assault.]

This one is from the wiki

Belgium was doomed to fail when in 1936 Leopold 3 shit his pants and didnt allow the French army to be on his soil

The Metaxas line was just bypassed because it wasnt completed.

Norwegian forts were very old and in no case up to ww2 standarts.

Mannerheim line

[The Finns originally aimed to make its defence line impregnable, however actual construction progress came nowhere close to this goal by the time the Winter War broke out, in contrast to the Maginot Line which effectively deterred a cross-border assault. The Finns had funds and resources for only 101 concrete bunkers; the equivalent length of the Maginot Line had 5,800 of these structures, with underground railway connections between them.[17] The weakness of the line is illustrated by the fact that the amount of concrete used in the whole Mannerheim Line—14,520 cubic meters or 513,000 cubic feet—is slightly less than the amount used in the Helsinki Opera House (15,500 cubic meters or 547,000 cubic feet). The much shorter VT-line used almost 400,000 cubic meters (14,000,000 cubic feet) of concrete.]

The Atlantic wall was again was cut of from the main mobile force,talking about Normamdy and had Germany fight with a dead luftwaffe and submarines couldnt get close to help with the big ships.Had Germany been in a better shape to defend it the US would either attack from the south of France or just get slaughtered on the Normandy beaches

What i propose is closer to a maginot line but with a strong airforce and a more mobile tank force than what the French had in the 40s.France was just rellying on its allies to win a german invasion when they should have just built the line till the sea and not give a shit about Belgium.Apart from that the French should have more modern tanks AND RADIOS on all of them.The only 12 inch guns on land come from railway artillery and if the defender can have something like the Adolf Kannone every few miles with some sort of rocket long range mortar too then even that railway artillery is redundant.The biggest problem comes from above but with a proper airforce from the defenders side it can be negated i guess.
Last edited by Destroyer500 on 20 May 2022, 17:56, edited 2 times in total.

Destroyer500

Post by Destroyer500 » 19 May 2022, 19:15

T. A. Gardner wrote:
18 May 2022, 18:22
Richard Anderson wrote:
18 May 2022, 17:21
T. A. Gardner wrote:
17 May 2022, 20:00
The Atlantic Wall lasted all of a week when the Allies invaded at Normandy, maybe less.
Considerably less, arguably from about one to five hours.
I was being generous...

As for the Maginot Line, a serious weakness were the observation cloches that when designed weren't faced with large caliber antitank gunfire that could penetrate them quickly and easily.

Without these key observation posts, the line was blinded and the main bunkers could be attacked far more easily.

Also, the line wasn't uniform in its defense structures. The Rhine defenses relied more on direct fire bunkers along that river than the fortress systems of the main part of the line.
Didnt know that about the observation posts

Destroyer500

Post by Destroyer500 » 21 May 2022, 00:51

So that was it ? Noones gonna say anything about fixed defenses of the era or provide me with some insight,correct me,propose something when it comes to my initial post or make a comment about any big fortification of the time ?

Takao

Post by Takao » 21 May 2022, 01:45

How does Germany pay for Trump's Wall, uber-Luftwaffe & uber-Heer?

Not to mention, the Maginot Line covered a fraction of France's border & it was incomplete 10 years later....

Where is the manpower coming from to fully staff your trifecta?

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 21 May 2022, 06:04

Destroyer500 wrote:
21 May 2022, 00:51
So that was it ? Noones gonna say anything about fixed defenses of the era or provide me with some insight,correct me,propose something when it comes to my initial post or make a comment about any big fortification of the time ?
I recall that the smallest German pillboxes were manufactured and then transported to the site. How about mass producing small pillboxes to reinforce German defenses in a flexible manner?

https://www.lonesentry.com/articles/mob ... index.html

http://www.oldmagazinearticles.com/arti ... ohmAsPMLIU

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 21 May 2022, 18:44

Cult Icon wrote:
21 May 2022, 06:04
I recall that the smallest German pillboxes were manufactured and then transported to the site. How about mass producing small pillboxes to reinforce German defenses in a flexible manner?

Sounds like a tank without engines or tracks. Which is what the Germans were doing when they set tank turrets out as cannon mounts for fixed defenses.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 21 May 2022, 18:47

Hmm... how much petroleum, Tungsten, Bauxite, Chromium, ect... ect.. lies inside that defense? Is food production adequate for the population inside that boundary?
Destroyer500 wrote:
14 May 2022, 14:56
I will give you a very very rough and on a very low quality picture example of the scale i imagine it to be.I tried to find a map of mountain Europe yesterday to make a detailed drawing of where the defenses should not be built because natural hard terrain act as cover but i couldnt find one.So here it is. 99898.PNG Im not really sure about the northern part of the defenses but i drew one anyway.I wanted to make a more detailed one where i show the position of each individual flak tower and bunker and trench but i could only find high resolution pictures of Germany but as i said i want Austria nad Chechoslovakia on the mix.Please dont laugh :)

Destroyer500

Post by Destroyer500 » 21 May 2022, 19:38

Takao wrote:
21 May 2022, 01:45
How does Germany pay for Trump's Wall, uber-Luftwaffe & uber-Heer?

Not to mention, the Maginot Line covered a fraction of France's border & it was incomplete 10 years later....

Where is the manpower coming from to fully staff your trifecta?
Germany was twice the population size and economy of France and if we add Austria and Chechoslovakia to the mix then those numbers get a bit pumped up.Also the economy of the Third Reich was after a point really good.
Cult Icon wrote:
21 May 2022, 06:04
Destroyer500 wrote:
21 May 2022, 00:51

These could be really usefull if mass produced indeed.I could also see a version of these with an option to fit a tank turret on top of them.
Carl Schwamberger wrote:
21 May 2022, 18:47
Hmm... how much petroleum, Tungsten, Bauxite, Chromium, ect... ect.. lies inside that defense? Is food production adequate for the population inside that boundary?
Destroyer500 wrote:
I will give you a very very rough and on a very low quality picture example of the scale i imagine it to be.I tried to find a map of mountain Europe yesterday to make a detailed drawing of where the defenses should not be built because natural hard terrain act as cover but i couldnt find one.So here it is. 99898.PNG Im not really sure about the northern part of the defenses but i drew one anyway.I wanted to make a more detailed one where i show the position of each individual flak tower and bunker and trench but i could only find high resolution pictures of Germany but as i said i want Austria nad Chechoslovakia on the mix.Please dont laugh :)
I guess petrolum inside of Germany coupled with synthetic fuel plants would sufice for an army whose doctrine is centered around defense.Tungsten was a problem for Germany as for the other resources i have no clue and i would like help.Food production would propably sufice and could be upped if they wanted to after all Germany is a big country with plenty of plains for agriculture.

thaddeus_c

Post by thaddeus_c » 23 May 2022, 17:50

we have a long thread here about better flak defense viewtopic.php?f=11&t=68932

as well as one on an earlier "evolutionary" u-boat development viewtopic.php?f=11&t=64873

couple those with a somewhat "shrunken" footprint, to more defensible river and mountain lines, and you have your "mega defense"

just IMO, it was a mistake for the KM to construct French Atlantic u-boat bases, it soured any chance for a deal with the Vichy regime (or was one of the reasons for a souring of chances), if the u-boat bunkers had been constructed in Norway (as was originally considered), they would have had some defensive value, as it was they were simply bypassed.

also (again just IMO) it doesn't seem impossible that something like the Berlin Ubahn could have been at least started in other major cities instead of the Autobahn? it seems a dictatorship might like control over how people move around a city?

on a less grand scale, I've read several times that the ability of Germany to create smokescreens was lacking around Normandy, I don't know if that was a overall problem, but a robust capacity in that regard might have allowed them more mobility?

Destroyer500

Post by Destroyer500 » 27 May 2022, 01:26

thaddeus_c wrote:
23 May 2022, 17:50

as well as one on an earlier "evolutionary" u-boat development viewtopic.php?f=11&t=64873

couple those with a somewhat "shrunken" footprint, to more defensible river and mountain lines, and you have your "mega defense"

just IMO, it was a mistake for the KM to construct French Atlantic u-boat bases, it soured any chance for a deal with the Vichy regime (or was one of the reasons for a souring of chances), if the u-boat bunkers had been constructed in Norway (as was originally considered), they would have had some defensive value, as it was they were simply bypassed.

also (again just IMO) it doesn't seem impossible that something like the Berlin Ubahn could have been at least started in other major cities instead of the Autobahn? it seems a dictatorship might like control over how people move around a city?

on a less grand scale, I've read several times that the ability of Germany to create smokescreens was lacking around Normandy, I don't know if that was a overall problem, but a robust capacity in that regard might have allowed them more mobility?
I will give a thorough look to the threads youve linked and report back on my opinion.

What do you mean by shrunken footprint ?

How does having uboat bukers elsewhere matter for a defense ? In the end if you look at my scenario a war with Britain is to be avoided for as long as possible and if it can be prevented completely.Unless some revolutionary AA system is put into work

I dont personaly think that metro stations in more German cities of the time would help in the defense im envisioning in any way.The only thing they is provide hidding holes and act as bomb shelters.What would really have helped was the idea of the very borad gauge train named Breitspurbahn.I could even see these trains carry big artilery pieces of just act as fast responders carrying massive amounts of weapons and personel.Heck even an armored train of that size running around the defenses doing guard dutty doesnt sound bad,but again im getting ahead of myself.

Never heard of them using smoke in large scale,do you care to enlighten me as i have no idea of this matter

thaddeus_c

Post by thaddeus_c » 28 May 2022, 12:44

Destroyer500 wrote:
27 May 2022, 01:26
thaddeus_c wrote:
23 May 2022, 17:50

I will give a thorough look to the threads youve linked and report back on my opinion.

What do you mean by shrunken footprint ?
meant a shrunken map (area) to defend, anything less than historical area, albeit I find your scenario that the Nazi regime will switch over to a defensive posture not realistic after annexing only Austria and Czechia.
How does having uboat bukers elsewhere matter for a defense ? In the end if you look at my scenario a war with Britain is to be avoided for as long as possible and if it can be prevented completely.Unless some revolutionary AA system is put into work

I dont personaly think that metro stations in more German cities of the time would help in the defense im envisioning in any way.The only thing they is provide hidding holes and act as bomb shelters.
my observation was that the historical uboat bunkers were placed along the French Atlantic coast and bypassed during the Allied invasion, built in Norway and even Belgium, the uboats would have been in a better position (yes, I understand that does not relate directly to your scenario)

my suggestion for the underground metro was to overall start burying things much earlier than historical, also include caves and salt mines in that, where vehicles, munitions, could be sheltered from airstrikes.

Destroyer500

Post by Destroyer500 » 28 May 2022, 13:22

my observation was that the historical uboat bunkers were placed along the French Atlantic coast and bypassed during the Allied invasion, built in Norway and even Belgium, the uboats would have been in a better position (yes, I understand that does not relate directly to your scenario)

my suggestion for the underground metro was to overall start burying things much earlier than historical, also include caves and salt mines in that, where vehicles, munitions, could be sheltered from airstrikes.
I still consider the Breitspurbahn a far better option than more metro stations.Putting more things underground especially in my defense scenario would be a must but a larger able to move more materials at once train while also being big enough to carry vedy strong artilery pieces to the frontline (or defensive line) seems a better choise to me.In the end they could do both.In my defence scenario the Germans push as much as they can for air superiority so they wont have to bury everything as in our timeline (putting things underground will still be a priority but a far lower one).

The UK and France had pledged to protect Poland if anyone attacks (how ironic that the Soviet Union didnt get a declaration of war) so avoiding an expansion to the east is a must to avoid bringing the UK to war and i supose that in my version they understand this and do everything to avoid it atleast as much as it can be avoided.Now i dont know if the same thing is true for Norway and i mention Norway only because of the uboat theme but in my version any base of submarines would be in German soil.Unless Norway is (or was) protected by the UK or is in some pact with it then an invasion for some shiny iron and some extra bases would not be a really far fetched and bad idea.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 28 May 2022, 17:49

Destroyer500 wrote:
21 May 2022, 19:38
Carl Schwamberger wrote:
Destroyer500 wrote:
I guess petrolum inside of Germany coupled with synthetic fuel plants would sufice for an army whose doctrine is centered around defense.Tungsten was a problem for Germany as for the other resources i have no clue and i would like help.Food production would propably sufice and could be upped if they wanted to after all Germany is a big country with plenty of plains for agriculture.
I'd recommend getting a copy of John Ellis 'Brute Force'. It has several tables showing German consumption of critical resources, and output compared to Italy, Japan, & the three major Allied nations. Coal was one of the very few items that could be found in the greater Reich. Ores like Chromium, Tungsten, Aluminum were imported from outside the are specified here, & were insufficient for desired production. Even food is questionable. One of the points Harsch makes in Patterns of Conquest is the relative shortage of food within Germany during the winter on 1940-41. That with the forced sale, reparations, or looting of food from the newly conquered territories of Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, & France. The importance of the North Sea fishing fleet for keeping Protien available in sufficient quantity has been noted by others as well as Harsch. The problem of fertilizer availability for high output grain production has also been noted in several analysis including Ellis. Drawing from multiple independent historians & from assorted German sources its difficult to see a German military autarky based on such a limited geographical area surviving a year or more.

In latter 1943 most of Europe was controlled by Germany & there was still access to resources of several neutral nations. Yet a defense strategy was failing then.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 28 May 2022, 22:46

Destroyer500 wrote:
28 May 2022, 13:22
how ironic that the Soviet Union didnt get a declaration of war
The Treaty with Poland was very specific and was designed to protect Poland from a German attack and a German attack only. It had no provisions to deal with an attack on Poland from any other country.

Destroyer500

Post by Destroyer500 » 29 May 2022, 02:04

Carl Schwamberger wrote:
28 May 2022, 17:49
Destroyer500 wrote:
21 May 2022, 19:38
Carl Schwamberger wrote:
Destroyer500 wrote:
I'd recommend getting a copy of John Ellis 'Brute Force'. It has several tables showing German consumption of critical resources, and output compared to Italy, Japan, & the three major Allied nations. Coal was one of the very few items that could be found in the greater Reich. Ores like Chromium, Tungsten, Aluminum were imported from outside the are specified here, & were insufficient for desired production. Even food is questionable. One of the points Harsch makes in Patterns of Conquest is the relative shortage of food within Germany during the winter on 1940-41. That with the forced sale, reparations, or looting of food from the newly conquered territories of Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, & France. The importance of the North Sea fishing fleet for keeping Protien available in sufficient quantity has been noted by others as well as Harsch. The problem of fertilizer availability for high output grain production has also been noted in several analysis including Ellis. Drawing from multiple independent historians & from assorted German sources its difficult to see a German military autarky based on such a limited geographical area surviving a year or more.

In latter 1943 most of Europe was controlled by Germany & there was still access to resources of several neutral nations. Yet a defense strategy was failing then.
I will read or hear an audiobook version of the book you mentioned whenever i can.To keep things simple ill say this;1)food was a problem because they had a massive army to feed that was constantly attacking and many other smaller allied armies,if im wrong correct me,so if they are not in that position in the first place and if they try to become more self sufficient when it comes to food production then i guess it is kinda solved 2)tungsten was always low and only a few nations had in quantity as for the others i have no idea but im gonna throw a wild idea and say that maybe they can make some sort of colony and solve it Britain style :D 3)I guess if they produced enough synthetic fuel they could trade it for the other minerals you mentioned,just an idea.Just my 2c sollution,what do you think ?

Return to “What if”