A few Guadalcanal questions?

Discussions on WW2 in the Pacific and the Sino-Japanese War.
Felix C

A few Guadalcanal questions?

Post by Felix C » 28 May 2022, 20:56

Can Tulagi be seen from Guadalcanal during daytime?
At sea level. Always wondered if visible or not.

Marine Paratroopers assaulted Tulagi in August. Were they garrisoned there during the rest of the campaign for Guadalcanal? Through Feb 1943

Was any coastal artillery installed on Guadalcanal during the campaign to fire on Japanese warships? I seem to recall on one occasion a Japanese submarine surfaced and shelled the beachhead.

Did the Japanese install any of the 150mm guns on Savo Island. I recall reading they did. 1970s book so maybe in error.

Takao

Re: A few Guadalcanal questions?

Post by Takao » 29 May 2022, 23:32

This should be of use to you concerning Guadalcanal's Marine artillery.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... P2G3ROCqqx
October, 1943. Field Artillery Journal.

The only Japanese guns on Savo Island are in video games.

R Leonard

Post by R Leonard » 30 May 2022, 13:23

Standing on the shore at Lungga Point on Guadalcanal, the distance to Tulagi is about 23 miles. Standing anywhere with the waves breaking at your feet and looking out to sea, the horizon is a hair over 3 miles away. Tulagi is a very small island . . . I'd say no. you can't.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 30 May 2022, 16:25

Felix C wrote:
28 May 2022, 20:56

With difficulty. On a clear day the horizon is at 13.4 km (8.3) distant for a standing man. One of things we had to learn & measure as a artillery FO.
Marine Paratroopers assaulted Tulagi in August. Were they garrisoned there during the rest of the campaign for Guadalcanal? Through Feb 1943
The battalion was moved to Guadacanal & informally brigaded with the Raider Battalion. It combined with the Raiders for a raid on the Japanese defense, and fought in the battle of Edson Ridge.
Was any coastal artillery installed on Guadalcanal during the campaign to fire on Japanese warships? I seem to recall on one occasion a Japanese submarine surfaced and shelled the beachhead.
A Base Defense Battalion was landed. Equipped with 3" and 5" cannon it was out gunned by the Japanese cruisers and battle ships that participated in the shore bombardments. Parts of the 3rd & 5th BDB were in Guadalcanal during the battles, but Im not sure which was the designated HQ ashore.
Did the Japanese install any of the 150mm guns on Savo Island. I recall reading they did. 1970s book so maybe in error.

It they did theres no record of them participating in any actions. The Japanese had a lot of difficulty landing reinforcements & supplies on Guadalcanal. Landing heavy units on the other nearby islands was really problematic. I understand the Japanese landed infantry for outposts and patrols, but that was probably it.

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 30 May 2022, 17:08

Thanks everyone. I think the Japanese submarine surfacing and shelling the beachhead was just after Salvo when not all the equipment had been landed.

Good to know about the Paratroopers. Was that battle, Japanese Brigade attack or the later November battle, Japanese Division attack the nearest to a penetration. I seem to recall a scratch force was collected for penetrations from aircrew and non-firing line troops.

As for the Japanese 150mm I recall it was later outranged by the 155mm which was installed late in 1942. I think I read the Japanese were reputed to have spotters on Savo.

Kingfish

Post by Kingfish » 31 May 2022, 00:16

Felix C wrote:
28 May 2022, 20:56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykYTZLAGo7g

At 1:45 the camera pans to the right, and you can see Cape Esperance and then Savo Island.
At 1:48 Florida Island is seen on the horizon. No way to distinguish Tulagi from its larger neighbor at that distance.
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
~Babylonian Proverb

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 13 Jun 2022, 00:04

Thanks

T. A. Gardner

Post by T. A. Gardner » 15 Jun 2022, 04:28

The Marines on Guadalcanal included a defense battalion with 5"/51 guns but these were rarely in range of enemy ships, so they didn't see much use for coast defense.

The 3rd Coast Defense Battalion had 6 of these emplaced on the island.

Tulagi and Florida islands are at the extreme range of sighting, about 25 miles give or take.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 15 Jun 2022, 22:15

Felix C wrote:
30 May 2022, 17:08
Good to know about the Paratroopers. Was that battle, Japanese Brigade attack or the later November battle, Japanese Division attack the nearest to a penetration. I seem to recall a scratch force was collected for penetrations from aircrew and non-firing line troops.
The division reserve, and the rear service units did fight with individuals and small groups that infiltrated. I've seen claims that individuals were shot at the Air Wing CP. A larger group got past the main defense by infiltrating a swamp west of the ridges. The division reserve pinned them in the wetlands until they exfiltrated a following night.

Return to “WW2 in the Pacific & Asia”