German military term translation

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
MatthiasP

Re: German military term translation

Post by MatthiasP » 28 Dec 2021, 18:05

Bild 2 = Picture 2
Abschlußschraube = end screw
Gummiplatte = Rubber sheet
Zwischenhülle = Intermediate Cover
Linksgewinde = Left-Hand Thread
Einlaßhülse = Inlet Sleeve
Aufsteckhülse = Slip-On Sleeve
Ausfrässung zur Aufsteckung auf den Gewehrlauf = Milling for attachment to the rifle barrel
2nd to bottom left: Ansicht = View
2nd to bottom right: Schnitt = pattern (?)
Schalldämpfer 254 (r) = Silencer

From top to bottom. Not sure what you mean by Frankfort type, the letters? It's Fraktur, not sure if there any differentiation.

G, Y?

Post by G, Y? » 29 Dec 2021, 17:08

Thank you MatthiasP.

And yes, I got the type name wrong.

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 03 Jun 2022, 20:56

Can anyone clarify what sub-units this sentence refers to:
Pz.A.A.129 übernimmt mit 1 1/2 Späh-Kompanie und einer schw. Kompanie Abschnitt des Fallsch.Jg.Rgt.3.
I'm thinking it relates to:

Pz.A.A.129 taking over the sector of Fallsch.Jg.Rgt.3 with some of its sub-units, but is that meant to mean half a scout company and a heavy company of the Recce Regt?

All help grateful and humbly received.

Regards

Tom

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 04 Jun 2022, 20:46

And if any German speakers could explain to this poor soul what the difference between these two verbs is, that would also be excellent!
vorzuführen
and
vorführen
I'm seeing both being translated as
to demonstrate, to show, to perform
but is there any difference between the two? And do any of those translations make sense in the context of this sentence?
1./Pz.Pi.Btl.93 bis zum Morgengrauen in Raum 2 km nordostw. Eboli zur Verfügung der Division vorzuführen.
All help grateful received.

Regards

Tom

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 05 Jun 2022, 11:37

#18:

Hi Tom,

Your translation is correct, except it is 1 and 1/2 Scout Companies and 1 heavy Company.

#19:

In this context it makes no sense. Without knowing the whole text passage, I would translate it:

"to bring/move forward the 1./Pz.Pi.Btl. 93 until dawn into the area 2 km northeast of Eboli to be at disposal of the Division."

Best regards
Armin
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 05 Jun 2022, 13:58

Hohlladung wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 11:37
#18:

Hi Tom,

Your translation is correct, except it is 1 and 1/2 Scout Companies and 1 heavy Company.

#19:

In this context it makes no sense. Without knowing the whole text passage, I would translate it:

"to bring/move forward the 1./Pz.Pi.Btl. 93 until dawn into the area 2 km northeast of Eboli to be at disposal of the Division."

Best regards
Armin
Armin,

Many thanks for the response which is very welcome.

I'm a little surprised that "1 1/2 Späh-Kompanie" doesn't use the plural "Kompanien" if it means "one and a half companies". I guess that is just one of the differences between English and German grammar which I need to learn. :D

The full sentence from post 19 is:
Pz.Pi.Btl.93 erhält Befehl, 1./Pz.Pi.Btl.93 bis zum Morgengrauen in Raum 2 km nordostw. Eboli zur Verfügung der Division vorzuführen.
So, I'm thinking this means:
Pz.Pi.Btl.93 receives orders to bring the 1./Pz.Pi.Btl. forward until [by?] dawn into the area 2 km northeast of Eboli to be at disposal of the Division.
Cheers,

Tom

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 05 Jun 2022, 16:21

Hi Tom,

You are right, even in German language it should be the Plural "Kompanien".

Best regards
Armin
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 06 Jun 2022, 10:13

Hohlladung wrote:
05 Jun 2022, 16:21
Hi Tom,

You are right, even in German language it should be the Plural "Kompanien".

Best regards
Armin
Hi Arnim,

Thanks, that's something for me to keep an eye our for.

Regards

Tom

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 26 Jun 2022, 20:39

I'd be grateful for help with another translation request from the war diary of 26 Pz Div if possible. Does this sound right?

Div.Kdr. unterrichtet, daẞ er nach Ordnen der Verbände Wiederantreten auf Pontecagnano Faiano am Spätnachmittag plant.

Divisional Commander informs [HQ] that he plans to order the troops to resume the advance towards Pontecagnano Faiano in the late afternoon.

Regards

Tom

TH

Post by TH » 27 Jun 2022, 03:35

Your translated sentence is a bit ambigious.
The commander does not plan to give an order to the troops. He plans to resume the advance, once the units have been assembled.

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 28 Jun 2022, 00:35

TH wrote:
27 Jun 2022, 03:35
Your translated sentence is a bit ambigious.
The commander does not plan to give an order to the troops. He plans to resume the advance, once the units have been assembled.
Hi TH,

Thanks, that is great. Makes sense to me.

Regards

Tom

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 20 Jul 2022, 21:19

Sorry to be asking for more help but this phrase is tormenting me at the moment!
Abends trifft ein Fernschreiben vom Ob.West ein, wonach die Div. beschleunigt einen Generalstabsoffizier zur Org.Abt. des Generalstabes mit allen Unterlagen mit allen Unterlagen über die materielle Ausstattung und einer Übersicht über die angekündigte Zuführung für sämliche Waffen und gepz. und ungepz. Kraftfahrzeuge zu entseden hat.
I am translating it as:
In the evening a teleprinter message arrives from Ob.West, in response to which the Division hastened the dispatch of a general staff officer to Org.Abt. of the General Staff with all the information about the material equipment and a survey of the announced supply for all weapons and for armoured and unarmoured vehicles.
That last section sounds a bit clunky though. Announced supply? Does that mean the schedule for supply of weapons and vehicles?

Regards

Tom

DirkAH

Post by DirkAH » 22 Jul 2022, 16:29

Tom from Cornwall wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 21:19
Sorry to be asking for more help but this phrase is tormenting me at the moment!
Abends trifft ein Fernschreiben vom Ob.West ein, wonach die Div. beschleunigt einen Generalstabsoffizier zur Org.Abt. des Generalstabes mit allen Unterlagen mit allen Unterlagen über die materielle Ausstattung und einer Übersicht über die angekündigte Zuführung für sämliche Waffen und gepz. und ungepz. Kraftfahrzeuge zu entseden hat.
I am translating it as:
In the evening a teleprinter message arrives from Ob.West, in response to which the Division hastened the dispatch of a general staff officer to Org.Abt. of the General Staff with all the information about the material equipment and a survey of the announced supply for all weapons and for armoured and unarmoured vehicles.
That last section sounds a bit clunky though. Announced supply? Does that mean the schedule for supply of weapons and vehicles?

Regards

Tom
Hello!

Yes, it means the scheduled supply of weapons and vehicles. Though it doesn't say that the division has hastened the dispatch of a general staff officer, just that the teleprinter message contained the order to do so. Maybe "according to which the Division has to speed up the dispatch of a general staff officer" would be better?
Ciao

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 22 Jul 2022, 20:41

DirkAH wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 16:29
Yes, it means the scheduled supply of weapons and vehicles. Though it doesn't say that the division has hastened the dispatch of a general staff officer, just that the teleprinter message contained the order to do so. Maybe "according to which the Division has to speed up the dispatch of a general staff officer" would be better?
That's great, many thanks.

Regards

Tom

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 24 Jul 2022, 21:06

Yet another request, apologies...
Hptm. Strohfahrt - fatally wounded.JPG
Can anyone read the word below Strohfahrt's name in the pencil note? The context is this:
Officer losses are large. Kdr. I./Pz.Gr.Rgt.9, Oberstleutnant Altstadt, was wounded in the morning. His deputy [crossed out and in the margin was a pencil annotation that: Strohfahrt … II/9.], Hauptmann Strohfahrt, was badly wounded; he later died as a result of the wound.
It looks, therefore, like the original diary author mistakenly called Strohfahrt the deputy of the Commander of Ist Bn/Pz.Gr.Regt.9 before the diary was corrected by a later hand who noted that he belonged, in fact, to the II Bn. I'm thinking the word I can't read must note his appointment within II Bn?

Regards

Tom

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”