Book from the IG Farben Factory in the Monowitz/Auschwitz III Concentration Camp.

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
Heartfeltzero

Book from the IG Farben Factory in the Monowitz/Auschwitz III Concentration Camp.

Post by Heartfeltzero » 18 Jul 2022, 01:42

580F14EF-DDCA-4AC3-AC57-DBEAED0F9408.jpeg
This book came from the former library of the Auschwtiz III Monowitz chemical complex, the famous IG Farben. The library was mainly based on chemistry, metallurgy, physics and other scientific books, so that scientists working there could consult them. The book is titled “How to repair vehicle Diesel engines”. You can see throughout the book different IG Farben Auschwitz Stamps.
F0BE5F82-73BD-453E-823E-D92555781234.jpeg
Monowitz was a subcamp of the Auschwitz concentration camp; from November 1943 it and other Nazi subcamps in the area were jointly known as "Auschwitz III-subcamps". SS Hauptsturmführer Heinrich Schwarz was commandant from November 1943 to January 1945.
F9067F72-5ABA-4F43-9650-C1D0F21C7427.jpeg
IG Farben factory in Auschwitz III-Monowitz

Monowitz held around 12,000 prisoners, the great majority of whom were Jews, in addition to non-Jewish criminals and political prisoners. The IG Farben factory was also in this camp. The company was involved in medical experiments on inmates at both Auschwitz and the Mauthausen concentration camp. One of its subsidiaries supplied the poison gas, Zyklon B, that killed over one million people in gas chambers during the Holocaust

The history of the founding of the camp is connected with the initiative by the German chemical concern IG Farbenindustrie A.G. to build its third large plant for synthetic rubber and liquid fuels. The new camp was to be located in Silesia, beyond the range of Allied bombers at the time. Among the several sites proposed in December 1940/January 1941, the final choice fell on the flat land between the eastern part of Oświęcim and the villages of Dwory and Monowice. The decision was justified by the favorable geological conditions, access to railroad lines, water supply (the Vistula), and the availability of raw materials: coal (the mines in Libiąż, Jawiszowice, and Jaworzno), lime (Krzeszowice), and salt (Wieliczka). Furthermore, the belief that it would be possible for the firm to employ prisoners from the nearby Auschwitz concentration camp was by no means a trivial consideration, and may in fact have been decisive in the choice of the project.

IG Farben put the pieces of the deal in place between February and April 1941. The company bought the land from the treasury for a knock-down price, after it had been seized from its Polish owners without compensation; their houses were vacated and demolished. At the same time, the German authorities expelled the Jews from Oświęcim (resettling them in Sosnowiec and Chrzanów), confiscated their homes, and sold them to IG Farben as housing for company employees brought in from Germany. Some local Polish residents were dispossessed in the same way. Finally, IG Farben officials reached an agreement with the concentration camp commandant on hiring prisoners at a preferential rate of 3 to 4 marks per day for the labor of auxiliary and skilled construction workers. In a letter to his colleagues about the negotiations, IG Farben director Otto Ambros wrote that “our new friendship with the SS is very fruitful.”

After repeated memos and complaints, SS-Obersturmbannführer Gerhard Maurer, who was responsible for the employment of concentration camp prisoners, traveled to Oświęcim on February 10, 1943. He promised IG Farben the prompt supply of another thousand prisoners, and the systematic “exchanging” of those no longer capable of hard labor at the factory. More than 10 thousand prisoners fell victim to selection during the period that the camp was in operation. They were taken to the hospital in the main camp, where most of them were killed by lethal injection of phenol to the heart, or to Birkenau, where some were liquidated after so-called “re-selection” in the BIIf prison hospital or—in the majority of cases—murdered immediately in the gas chambers. More than 1,600 prisoners other prisoners died in the hospital in Monowice, and several dozen were shot at the construction site or hanged in the camp. Summing up these figures and adding several hundred known victims in the Buna labor detail, a total of about 10 thousand Auschwitz concentration camp prisoners thus lost their lives as a result of working for IG Farben.
EF192732-2ADF-4A54-A244-98F6EECCAFDE.jpeg
45792543-95D7-4031-86F6-3A66FD75AB66.jpeg

Hans1906
Banned

Re: Book from the IG Farben Factory in the Monowitz/Auschwitz III Concentration Camp.

Post by Hans1906 » 18 Jul 2022, 12:39

Books by the German engineer Hermann Kümmet are common in German literature. Unfortunately, there is currently no biographical information about the author.

These were illustrated textbooks for motor vehicle students, or instructions for interested laypeople.

Hermann Kümmet / ZVAB: https://www.zvab.com/servlet/SearchResu ... -_-Results

https://www.booklooker.de/Bücher/Angebo ... r=H+Kümmet

The stamping in your issue is certainly interesting for collectors, please don't allow me to make a value statement, also because your copy is only a remnant of the original edition.

I knew his books from earlier years from German vintage car markets, somehow I remembered his name... :wink:

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Heartfeltzero

Re: Book from the IG Farben Factory in the Monowitz/Auschwitz III Concentration Camp.

Post by Heartfeltzero » 18 Jul 2022, 15:51

Hans1906 wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 12:39
Books by the German engineer Hermann Kümmet are common in German literature. Unfortunately, there is currently no biographical information about the author.

These were illustrated textbooks for motor vehicle students, or instructions for interested laypeople.

Hermann Kümmet / ZVAB: https://www.zvab.com/servlet/SearchResu ... -_-Results

https://www.booklooker.de/Bücher/Angebo ... r=H+Kümmet

The stamping in your issue is certainly interesting for collectors, please don't allow me to make a value statement, also because your copy is only a remnant of the original edition.

I knew his books from earlier years from German vintage car markets, somehow I remembered his name... :wink:

Hans
Thanks for all the additional info! And yeah the stamping to me is the most interesting aspect. The fact that it was in the IG Farben Factory. The book itself is somewhat uninteresting.

Leprechaun

Post by Leprechaun » 18 Jul 2022, 15:56

This book as never been anywhere near Auschwitz :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 18 Jul 2022, 16:12

This book as never been anywhere near Auschwitz :lol: :lol: :lol:
There's nothing funny about that, books with such stamps are rare and actually belong in the appropriate collections.

Your reaction is indicative, indicative of people who don't know anything about historical books, but that's normal, everyday business...

What you yourself have learned over decades about books and posters cannot be summed up in one sentence...
I rely on my own insights, my books, it's as simple as that.

It was and is always the "feeling", the very personal gift of being able to distinguish the good from the bad, that's all it is.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Leprechaun

Post by Leprechaun » 18 Jul 2022, 17:33

The stamps are fake
Trying to make a cheap book more expensive :lol: :lol:

Heartfeltzero

Post by Heartfeltzero » 18 Jul 2022, 17:52

Leprechaun wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 17:33
The stamps are fake
What evidence/proof do you have that these are fake? After the factory was closed down the scientific books housed in the library were passed to the Dwory Polish chemical complex. This book also has stamp marks from that company that they put on themselves after they acquired them post WW2. If you have actually evidence to support it being fake I would like to see it.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 18 Jul 2022, 18:02

The stamps are fake

You have no idea about German antiquarian books, that's normal.
Absolutely nothing to really excite a German collector, most certainly not.

It is what it is, if it isn't then you might be sticking a finger up your ass.
(Apply lotion beforehand so that it hurts less...) :lol:

Hans

wm

Post by wm » 18 Jul 2022, 22:31

Leprechaun wrote:
The stamps are fake
That's a common scam.
In this case, both stamps seem to be invalidated by the same (modern) pen; and it's basically impossible.

Heartfeltzero

Post by Heartfeltzero » 18 Jul 2022, 23:58

wm wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 22:31
Leprechaun wrote:
The stamps are fake
That's a common scam.
In this case, both stamps seem to be invalidated by the same (modern) pen; and it's basically impossible.
Anything is possible of course. But as far as the red invalidation marks, I don’t see why that would automatically make it fake/impossible. Assuming the stamps are real, whoever got possession of the book after the most recent assumed dowry company, for them to mark out both previous library stamps to show it no longer belongs to them, I don’t see how that’s suspicious. Like if i came into possession of a book and I saw that it had previous ownership markings I’d cross them out to show it no longer belongs to them. As I said, anything is possible. But I don’t see why the invalidation marks make it impossible. Of course I’m assuming that you’re conclusion is coming from the idea that the second dowry company would have crossed out the first and that the dowry companies is crossed out with the same pen. My initial thought is that neither were crossed out while in possession of the dowry company and that whoever obtained it after them in recent years crossed them out at the same time.

ewest89

Post by ewest89 » 19 Jul 2022, 00:25

The commentary related to I.G. Farben is false. The Buna Werke located there never made any synthetic rubber. It was a combined Luftwaffe/SS/Army project and it was beset by delays even though Farben had previous experience building such plants. It was a uranium enrichment facility.

Regarding the book, there are professionals in the antiquarian book trade that specialize in foreign books that could comment here, but I can understand why they might choose not to do so.

wm

Post by wm » 19 Jul 2022, 00:53

Well, maybe it was a uranium enrichment facility - not.
But the fact is the Poles restarted Buna Werke as "Państwowy Zakład Paliw Syntentycznych Dwory"(as shown on the book) and "Synthos SA."
Today Synthos SA is the largest producer of synthetic rubber in Europe.

Heartfeltzero

Post by Heartfeltzero » 19 Jul 2022, 01:12

ewest89 wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 00:25
The commentary related to I.G. Farben is false. The Buna Werke located there never made any synthetic rubber. It was a combined Luftwaffe/SS/Army project and it was beset by delays even though Farben had previous experience building such plants. It was a uranium enrichment facility.

Regarding the book, there are professionals in the antiquarian book trade that specialize in foreign books that could comment here, but I can understand why they might choose not to do so.
Do you know of someone I could ask to get their opinion on its authenticity?

wm

Post by wm » 19 Jul 2022, 15:07

Heartfeltzero wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 23:58
Anything is possible of course. But as far as the red invalidation marks, I don’t see why that would automatically make it fake/impossible. Assuming the stamps are real, whoever got possession of the book after the most recent assumed dowry company, for them to mark out both previous library stamps to show it no longer belongs to them, I don’t see how that’s suspicious.
Unfortunately, the rule is to invalidate the previous owner's stamp, especially as, in this case, the new owner was a state-owned enterprise.
There is nothing wrong with the (faded) Polish stamp; the library certainly existed and was propably (as usual) liquidated at the end of the communist era.
But the German stamp looks too new and too good.
It's easy to create such a stamp but hard to make it look old and faded.

Heartfeltzero

Post by Heartfeltzero » 19 Jul 2022, 15:20

wm wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 15:07
Heartfeltzero wrote:
18 Jul 2022, 23:58
Anything is possible of course. But as far as the red invalidation marks, I don’t see why that would automatically make it fake/impossible. Assuming the stamps are real, whoever got possession of the book after the most recent assumed dowry company, for them to mark out both previous library stamps to show it no longer belongs to them, I don’t see how that’s suspicious.
Unfortunately, the rule is to invalidate the previous owner's stamp, especially as, in this case, the new owner was a state-owned enterprise.
There is nothing wrong with the (faded) Polish stamp; the library certainly existed and was propably (as usual) liquidated at the end of the communist era.
But the German stamp looks too new and too good.
It's easy to create such a stamp but hard to make it look old and faded.
Any chance they never invalidated it? Because it seems odd to me. The polish company that you’re talking about. You can also look up the history. But according to everything I’ve read, that company did actually take over the IG Farben facility and did aquire mostly all the books and such that was there. So if the polish stamp is real in your opinion wouldn’t that also mean the book is actually from that facility? Regardless of the top German stamp. Which if the polish one is real then I don’t see why anyone would fake the top stamp considering the book would have actually been owned by IG Farben at one time before the polish company came to acquire it.

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”